FR - Move play next episode overlay to plugin

dcook

dcook

Honestly, in the past year or so I think the devs are losing focus on making a great media server and making knee-jerk decisions about adding requested "features" without thinking of the consequences.

The most recent example is this next episode overlay, if anyone had thought about it for 2 minutes they would have realized it's a bad idea, and would disturb the current viewing episode therefore having a negative user experience.  Its only after they went ahead and deployed this and there were complaints that they are now "fixing it".  

If they had done proper research first they would have realized that the vast majority of media that is recorded and then streamed in Emby does not have full end credits, in fact if you are recording from live TV, the recording stops right before the end credits begin.  Anyone with any broadcast experience at all knows this is because of the DTMF tones that signal the commercial breaks and end credits.  (Or SCTE if IPTV)

How many times is a new "feature" added and usually some of the first responses are "how do I turn it off?" 

I am asking the devs to look long term and move anything that is not required for stream media into a plugin.  

That way you stop the bloat, emby will work better on lower powered systems, and users have the choice of installing any features they want from the plugin catalog.

Edited by dcook

CBers

The most recent example is this next episode overlay, if anyone had thought about it for 2 minutes they would have realized it's a bad idea, and would disturb the current viewing episode therefore having a negative user experience. Its only after they went ahead and deployed this and there were complaints that they are now "fixing it".

It works perfectly in the ATV app.

If they had done proper research first they would have realized that the vast majority of media that is downloaded does not have full end credits, in fact if you are recording from live TV, the recording stops right before the end credits begin.

Emby doesn't condone downloading of illegal content, so it is coded to handle legally obtained material.

How many times is a new "feature" added and usually some of the first responses are "how do I turn it off?"

I agree with that comment somewhat.

PenkethBoy

Do you have any evidence that Emby is slowing down or using more resources?

You keep saying "x" should be a plugin and that will magically save us all - but actually if the code is only loaded as an when needed the effect on any modern(ish) system would be hard to measure objectively for the average user.

The hardest job is transcoding a video stream and everything else is orders of magnitude less in terms of resources consumed.

Actually my experience over the last year or so is that Emby is a lot faster than it used to be - partly due to database improvements and is using considerably less ram than before.

But i do agree there has been more haphazard features rolled out in the recent past - e.g. the stink raised when MadVR was removed from ET

The most recent example is this next episode overlay, if anyone had thought about it for 2 minutes they would have realized it's a bad idea, and would disturb the current viewing episode therefore having a negative user experience.  Its only after they went ahead and deployed this and there were complaints that they are now "fixing it".  

Just for clarity, this feature has existed for over two years in the Android TV, Fire TV and Apple TV apps (that app is not quite as old though).  The other apps were simply catching up for consistency and because it was requested that they do.  It is already an option in all instances.

• Like 1

lexisdude

Honestly, in the past year or so I think the devs are losing focus on making a great media server and making knee-jerk decisions about adding requested "features" without thinking of the consequences.

If they had done proper research first they would have realized that the vast majority of media that is recorded and then streamed in Emby does not have full end credits, in fact if you are recording from live TV, the recording stops right before the end credits begin.  Anyone with any broadcast experience at all knows this is because of the DTMF tones that signal the commercial breaks and end credits.  (Or SCTE if IPTV)

I am asking the devs to look long term and move anything that is not required for stream media into a plugin.  

That way you stop the bloat, emby will work better on lower powered systems, and users have the choice of installing any features they want from the plugin catalog.

If you want "just" a media transcoder - put together something yourself - VLS should do that just fine if you are on Mac, UNIX, Windows or Linux. 

If you want to host and play these files in the format you would like; and want to make it appear just the way you want - host them on a webpage. It's cut and dry and as simple as that.

There are also a variety of separate utilities out there that should give you the functionality you are looking for.

If you expect Emby to be transformed into something it has never been (not even looking back when it was MB2 or MB3) - then I would have to say you're going to be disappointed. Server systems should never  be placed on "low end" systems to begin with - and anyone looking at your request from an IT standpoint would be shaking their heads. With EMBY as it stands right now - I can run it without too many hiccups on a I3 desktop with a SSD and 8gb of memory (I don't now - but I did). If we are talking about anything lower than that , trying to run it on a low end laptop (or honestly any laptop unless it's a decked out gaming laptop) for example - its pointless for the devs to even consider changing their entire structure for ; you would still not be satisfied at the results. If you want to know the minimum requirements of running a business class or even a private server setup; there is plenty of documentation out there describing the minimums of what you would need to make it successful.

I run mine on a AMD 6 core machine (mid range by current standards). Server is running and is handing transcoding while I am playing games - while I have a virtual box running - and while I am typing to you now. It's footprint on my resources are low (less than 1 GB) and only consumes larger amounts of resources when it updates the library which is at 4am (a time I am not using my machine anyhow). I know that the majority of this "bloat" is my library - not emby itself.

Edited by lexisdude

• 2 years later...