Ala Carte Emby Premier

Untoten

Untoten

@@Luke @@ebr, this is more for you guys as it is business model.

I think ala carte emby premier would be a huge plus for everyone.

Many users see Emby premier and choose not to buy it because they use half or less of the features, which results in less money for you guys.

Users always want control over their purchases, so they almost resent paying if they don't want to use half the features/find no use.

What you could do is something like this:

• $1/month or $20/life for mobile access
  • $1/month or $20/life for live tv
  • $1/month or $20/life for premium plugin access
  • etc...

Obviously you could still offer the 'all inclusive' emby premier that would have everything for heavy admins like me that want the full package.  Make this cheaper than ordering each ala carte item separate, see following example:

• Example
    • Right now emby premiere has 12 features listed (https://emby.media/premiere.html)
    • Emby Premiere costs $5/month currently
    • You could offer each feature ala carte for $1/month and if they used more than 5 features, it would be worth it to buy the all inclusive.
    • This would also give the users more a feeling of value, as they are not spending $5/month for these features, but actually SAVING  $7/month by just getting all inclusive.

I think users would really appreciate you taking their taste into account, in the same way they would if cable offered unbundled channel lists.  You would also get additional revenue streams from users that never pay because they see no use in many features, but would like a small functionality here and there, like they do for paid plugins.

Perhaps even offer different tiers of premier access or rebundling for let's say 'live tv premier bundle' that offers features specifically tailored to those who primarily use Emby for Live TV features.

We did something similar to this at a previous job I had with an open source company and we generated 30% additional revenue via ala carte that had not existed due to offering clients a choice and 20% increase in our 'all access' membership due to clients now seeing a value they had not perceived previously.

Just an idea overall, but I know Emby is a dayjob for some and any revenue would help and it could offer higher user satisfaction.

Edited by Untoten
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
sebasmiles

@@Luke @@ebr, this is more for you guys as it is business model.

I think ala carte emby premier would be a huge plus for everyone.

Many users see Emby premier and choose not to buy it because they use half or less of the features, which results in less money for you guys.

Users always want control over their purchases, so they almost resent paying if they don't want to use half the features/find no use.

What you could do is something like this:

• $1/month or $20/life for mobile access
  • $1/month or $20/life for live tv
  • $1/month or $20/life for premium plugin access
  • etc...

Obviously you could still offer the 'all inclusive' emby premier that would have everything for heavy admins like me that want the full package.  Make this cheaper than ordering each ala carte item separate, see following example:

• Example
    • Right now emby premiere has 12 features listed (https://emby.media/premiere.html)
    • Emby Premiere costs $5/month currently
    • You could offer each feature ala carte for $1/month and if they used more than 5 features, it would be worth it to buy the all inclusive.
    • This would also give the users more a feeling of value, as they are not spending $5/month for these features, but actually SAVING  $7/month by just getting all inclusive.

I think users would really appreciate you taking their taste into account, in the same way they would if cable offered unbundled channel lists.  You would also get additional revenue streams from users that never pay because they see no use in many features, but would like a small functionality here and there, like they do for paid plugins.

Perhaps even offer different tiers of premier access or rebundling for let's say 'live tv premier bundle' that offers features specifically tailored to those who primarily use Emby for Live TV features.

We did something similar to this at a previous job I had with an open source company and we generated 30% additional revenue via ala carte that had not existed due to offering clients a choice and 20% increase in our 'all access' membership due to clients now seeing a value they had not perceived previously.

Just an idea overall, but I know Emby is a dayjob for some and any revenue would help and it could offer higher user satisfaction.

Its a fairly common practice when it comes to price/market optimization. I would advice to keep it simple maybe splitting in 2 packages (they can have features in common, say like the plugins). The price would also have to be higher, I am unsure what the current premium price is since its changing but say its 100usd, then if you have 2 fairly even packages then you can do each at 60usd with an upgrade path (ie if you have one, then the other would be discounted say to 45-50usd, that means that combined it still over 100usd). Unraid has a good example of this, though they do it by number of disks they have upgrade paths which allow the users to step into the process, enjoy the benefits and then move to a higher tier.

darkassassin07

I have to agree the premium features need some work to bring in more sales. Personally I have very little to no reason to buy premier as far as the features go, emby does everything I need it to on the free license. The main reason I went with premier was to support the creators, but not everyone sees it like that.

I have to agree the premium features need some work to bring in more sales. Personally I have very little to no reason to buy premier as far as the features go, emby does everything I need it to on the free license. The main reason I went with premier was to support the creators, but not everyone sees it like that.

You are actually saying the opposite thing as the OP.

This request is basically saying lower the price and you are saying we are giving away too much for free.  (BTW - thanks for the support!)

• Like 1

darkassassin07

Similar, just expressed differently.

Either way, you are getting to little for to much, You don't get enough worthwhile features for the cost.

Part of that problem is what's considered a worthwhile feature varies customer to customer, so splitting into multiple packages makes it easier to cater to those different needs.

Just an opinion ofc :)

Edited by darkassassin07

Untoten

This request is basically saying lower the price and you are saying we are giving away too much for free.  (BTW - thanks for the support!)

Not lower the price, but offer a less bundled option to get customers who would not usually subscribe.

sebasmiles

I don't think we can judge what is the proper level of sales, only the admins know the numbers and can set their expectation. Though there may be some optimization potential that they could take advantage of, but it would require a bit of work to determine what exactly and then incorporate it into the code.

Well, in his case the OP doesn't apply to him. There is the discussion about what features should be premium or not, but this has more to do with the relative positioning compared to competitors and what they are offering.

The current system seems more like a placeholder here to encourage people to donate for a product they like, eventually as more features are added it may be converted into something more like a standard product but for now the focus should continue to be in development, OP really should be considered as one option in the future to optimize revenue.

Similar, just expressed differently.

Either way, you are getting to little for to much, You don't get enough worthwhile features for the cost.

Part of that problem is what's considered a worthwhile feature varies customer to customer, so splitting into multiple packages makes it easier to cater to those different needs.

Just an opinion ofc :)

In business terms its simply attempting to capture more of the market, the "too little for too much" is applicable for some segments but not others. Obviously right now they are not targeting that segment but I think its a valid and good suggestion in order to pursue one of those segments. The devs have always seemed very receptive to suggestions in the past, I am sure they will take it into consideration for whenever they decide to revisit the paid options.

CarlosLima

I'm Emby Premiere user.
I understand that the price is extremely low, for what the platform offers and I think the complete package is even the best option.

• Like 1

tdiguy

I currently subscribe to premium monthly. I know lifetime would pay for itself in under 3 years but I can't spend that much all at once right now. I love the product and some of these other pricing models seem interesting. Like being able to unlock just apps. Being a raspberry pi user i have found doing things on a schedule and with low CPU priority keeps the pi running well, along with a specially compiled ffmpeg that supports MP4 hardware acceleration.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk