Let us Force Direct Play (DTS-HD Playback)

lobosrul

lobosrul

Let me try and explain what is happening: I have a handful of mkv's that are 4k HDR10 video with a DTS-HD audio track, and a couple that are Dolby Digital. I'm sending the audio via HDMI to a soundbar that supports regular DTS but not DTS-HD. The 4k HDR with Dolby Digital audio plays back fine. However, the files with DTS-HD don't, there is much artificating. I assume that is because Emby is Direct Streaming instead of Direct Playing. This is because the Nvidia Shield thinks it cant bitstream DTS-HD, when in fact it can send it, and my soundbar will just take the DTS track embedded inside and play that. On Plex these files play back fine with DTS audio (well they did until a recent update broke things, which is one of the reasons I'm trying out Emby). Please let us force "direct play" as a workaround, same as Plex does.  There is of course a workaround, I can take the files and remux them with regular DTS, since I have very few its not a huge deal.

Can you please play one of these items and then follow the instructions here (please follow all the instructions) to send a log from the app?

The app treats DTS-HD just like DTS so your assumptions are probably incorrect.  The log will confirm for us.  Thanks.

zigzagtshirt

+1 for option to force direct play.

I've had many instances where certain media won't direct play when it has the exact same video and audio types as something that does direct play.

+1 for option to force direct play.

I've had many instances where certain media won't direct play when it has the exact same video and audio types as something that does direct play.

Ditto what I said above.

I have yet to find any case where forcing direct play would do anything except cause something to not play properly.