What does everyone do for Live TV when using Kodi as their front end?

hstamas

hstamas

Im assuming just 2 pieces of software? One for local library files and DVR content and a separate app for live tv? I'd love to get everything integrated into one package but the Emby native apps have not worked very well for me in the past hence using Kodi for my front end.

kmarq13

Kodi using the emby for kodi plugin to get all my local non-DVR content into Kodi.

Then running Windows 7 in a VM to run WMC and serverwmc. Both Emby and Kodi are connected to that Win 7 system so they share the backend DVR system.

Someday I'm really hoping there will be a full featured Emby PVR addon in Kodi, but until then this has been working quite well for me.

• Like 1

arztonyou

I use Kodi for watching live TV with the HDHomerun PVR backend with a HDHomerun Prime tuner set up on my network.  However, this  PVR backend does not record, so I use either the Emby web client or the Emby Android client to set up recordings using EmbyTV and then watch them later using Kodi after they have been added to my Emby libraries via the auto-organize feature of the Emby server.

A few months ago it was mentioned that the developer of the Titan skin was thinking about working on a Kodi PVR backend for EmbyTV that would integrate the live TV and recording features of Emby into Kodi, but I don't know if it is currently being worked on or not.  It would really be the last step to making Kodi work really, really well with Emby.

hstamas

I use Kodi for watching live TV with the HDHomerun PVR backend with a HDHomerun Prime tuner set up on my network.  However, this  PVR backend does not record, so I use either the Emby web client or the Emby Android client to set up recordings using EmbyTV and then watch them later using Kodi after they have been added to my Emby libraries via the auto-organize feature of the Emby server.

A few months ago it was mentioned that the developer of the Titan skin was thinking about working on a Kodi PVR backend for EmbyTV that would integrate the live TV and recording features of Emby into Kodi, but I don't know if it is currently being worked on or not.  It would really be the last step to making Kodi work really, really well with Emby.

Are you speaking of the Pvr client that’s built into Kodi that allows you to pull in the hdhomerun feed into the native Kodi front end? If so I’ve discovered that myself and have used it but the lack of time shifting Is a deal breaker unfortunately. I too use Emby (actually Plex but Im trying really hard to switch over to Emby) to do the recording but would love to have a setup that was more “TiVo” like where everything was under one roof. If the Emby Android app was more customizable and worked more reliably for me that would probably be a good option too.

arztonyou

Are you speaking of the Pvr client that’s built into Kodi that allows you to pull in the hdhomerun feed into the native Kodi front end? If so I’ve discovered that myself and have used it but the lack of time shifting Is a deal breaker unfortunately. I too use Emby (actually Plex but Im trying really hard to switch over to Emby) to do the recording but would love to have a setup that was more “TiVo” like where everything was under one roof. If the Emby Android app was more customizable and worked more reliably for me that would probably be a good option too.

Yes, that's what I use.  I watch very little live TV these days, so this PVR client is good enough for occasional use.  If we're lucky, some day we'll get a Kodi PVR client for EmbyTV and you'll have your wish.

As for the Emby Android app, I rarely use it for playback, but I have found it useful as a quick way to manage recordings and perform basic server management.

marcelveldt

The Emby PVR client for Kodi is still on my todo list.... btw, in the meanwhile I'm running tvheadend myself which is rock solid.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Like 1

hstamas

The Emby PVR client for Kodi is still on my todo list.... btw, in the meanwhile I'm running tvheadend myself which is rock solid.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Glad to hear its still in the works @@marcelveldt. Im stuck with a Mac based server so TVheadend is out for me. Did a little research on MythTV last night and might try that. All I really need it for is timeshifting as I will let Emby do the DVR stuff.

dranderson402

I use Mythtv and the Kodi Mythtv PVR plugin to watch both live and recorded tv. Basically Kodi is my frontend for Mythtv.

I also have the Emby for Kodi plugin for my media collection. And to keep everything under one roof so to speak, I have Kodi runing on the Nvidia Shield and use Kodi Favorites to launch the android apps for netflix, amazon video, sling tv and others. My mythtv is only for OTA.

• Like 2

e123enitan

I used emby4kodi plus Dvbviewer plugins in Kodi, for server emby media plus Dvbviewer media server both are very stable in Windows environment.

• Like 1

Festivus Oz

I used Tvheadend off of a LibreElec install on a Amlogic s905 for an extended few month test. It was fine however the box would need a hard reset after a few weeks. I also thought the HD channel reception was not great although that may have been $10 USB tuner.

The biggest issue for me was resume points were local to a Kodi install, the reason I moved to an Emby backend. To help me and the OP does Emby live TV allow resume points across devices with the Emby apps / web client?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

happpyg

Kodi using the emby for kodi plugin to get all my local non-DVR content into Kodi.

Then running Windows 7 in a VM to run WMC and serverwmc. Both Emby and Kodi are connected to that Win 7 system so they share the backend DVR system.

Exactly the same here too

otispresley

I use Mythtv and the Kodi Mythtv PVR plugin to watch both live and recorded tv. Basically Kodi is my frontend for Mythtv.

I also have the Emby for Kodi plugin for my media collection. And to keep everything under one roof so to speak, I have Kodi runing on the Nvidia Shield and use Kodi Favorites to launch the android apps for netflix, amazon video, sling tv and others. My mythtv is only for OTA.

I do pretty much the same thing but with a NextPVR backend. I would love to be able to get Live TV from Emby in Kodi so I could get rid of NextPVR, which has been flaking out on me lately. The Emby app for Android TV does not work well for me either as it wants to transcode everything, including Live TV, on my 2015 model Sony Bravia TV...no matter what my Emby app settings are.

gatorchamp85

I find myself in the same boat. The main things keeping me on Kodi vs the Emby Android TV app are the Titan skin and app launching ability (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc). Plus I've never had any sort of problem with video playback via Kodi. When I say Kodi, I'm actually using SPMC on the Shield.

I've previously used Myth in a FreeNAS jail for live TV and recordings in Kodi via the PVR addon. More recently, I moved my Emby server to a separate Windows server that also runs NextPVR. Main reason for switching from Myth to NextPVR was the Emby plugin, which allows me to manage recordings from Emby or Kodi (and watch occasionally if the need arises). I prefer this to running it parallel with the native Emby live TV, just so that everything is synced together in the same backend.

I've considered using the HDHomeRun plugins just for live TV in Kodi (I have an HDHR Prime), but the unofficial Kodi addon doesn't support timeshift/pausing or recording. 

All that said, a native Emby PVR addon for Kodi would be the holy grail that would get me off using a separate PVR backend. Here's hoping that comes to fruition. I don't know the first thing about development, but I'd be happy to contribute in any other way (testing, financial, or otherwise).