Which XML TV Provider for the UK

pauljamesbusby
Go to solution Solved by millsii,

pauljamesbusby

So I cant really justify paying the fee for Schedules direct and would really like to get an XML system to work, but every time I seem to get somewhere, it stops updating. I can get it working again by fiddling about with all the channels and changing to a different provider, but cant seem to find one that just works.

Rather than going through the process of troubleshooting and providing logs etc, I reckon as a first step I need to get it working in a way that already works for other folks.

Is there anyone in the UK running HD Homerun and an XML TV provider successfully that can suggest a provider for me to try that works for them?

• Solution
millsii

I'm not in the UK or have a HD Homerun, but can recommend WebGrab Plus as a good free provider for XML TV guides. http://www.webgrabplus.com

It looks like they have a fair number of UK channels and providers to choose from. It requires a bit of self setup, but then is set and forget.

• Like 1

maegibbons

So I cant really justify paying the fee for Schedules direct and would really like to get an XML system to work, but every time I seem to get somewhere, it stops updating. I can get it working again by fiddling about with all the channels and changing to a different provider, but cant seem to find one that just works.

Rather than going through the process of troubleshooting and providing logs etc, I reckon as a first step I need to get it working in a way that already works for other folks.

Is there anyone in the UK running HD Homerun and an XML TV provider successfully that can suggest a provider for me to try that works for them?

I would seriously re-think this.  The £26 a year or whatever it is is nothing compared to the time, agravation and trouble you will experience by trying to do it for free.

Been there and tried that.  SD works well.

Krs

Mark

• Like 3

pauljamesbusby

I would seriously re-think this. The £26 a year or whatever it is is nothing compared to the time, agravation and trouble you will experience by trying to do it for free.

Been there and tried that. SD works well.

Krs

Mark

I simply can't justify the cost for the usage. It might seem like a small amount but for the amount I actually use it, it's not worth it.

I had a trial and fiddled about with it a bit, but it ran out before I finished. My schedule is pretty limiting tbqh.

If I don't get it working I'll either just not bother or fire up my Next PVR machine with tuner cards again.

pauljamesbusby

Webgrabplus is a little involved but very logical and working like a dream so far!

For anyone else looking to do this using UnRaid (or another Docker supported OS), there is some dockers available.

Once installed, I found that the Sky ini and XML files were the best as they had all the regional names in correctly.

(I'm presuming default folder mappings here)

Copy these from:

\appdata\WebGrabPlusPlus\ini\SiteIni.Pack\UK

to:

appdata\WebGrabPlusPlus\

Open up the

appdata\WebGrabPlusPlus\WebGrab++.config.xml

and

appdata\WebGrabPlusPlus\uk-sky.com.xml

File in a text editor (notepad++ is good)

Find the channels lines in your sky file and copy them in the config file before the </settings> line at the end.

I found copying all the channels wasn't a great approach, and that it was better just to cherry pick the ones you want.

Save the config file and restart the docker, and after a minute or two it will generate your XML in the "data" location it specified during the installation.

If the docker stops, there is an error, have a look in:

appdata\WebGrabPlusPlus\WebGrab++.log.txt

for some clues.

You then need to make sure that Emby can access the folder that Webgrab stores the XML into so that when you add the XML TV entry for the EPG data, you can direct it to the correct file. I cant offer specific locations here as you may have things mapped differently to me, but if you made it this far, Im guessing you've had to deal with docker folder mappings int he past anyway :)

Personally I added another path into the Docker called "XML Guide" with the container path as /guide and the host path as the exact location webgrab+ drops the file.,

Edited by pauljamesbusby
  • Like 2