IPTV and VPN

Bert

So I actually got my iptv working pretty well. I setup my VPN at the router level and realized that Netflix does not allow VPN. If I just had the VPN on my server, would it hide traffic from my iptv when accessing it from local clients? How about remote clients?

Hi, since we are not able to test on your network directly we can't really say one way or another what would happen. Some apps will direct play to the source and this might bypass your network if it is for example a mobile connection on 4g.

tyr_88

So I actually got my iptv working pretty well. I setup my VPN at the router level and realized that Netflix does not allow VPN. If I just had the VPN on my server, would it hide traffic from my iptv when accessing it from local clients? How about remote clients?

nope use Wireshark and see

Jdiesel

Are you using OpenVPN? Look into using "routes" to direct only your IPTV traffic to flow through your VPN. All other traffic will not pass through the VPN.

Depending on your VPN provider your setup my be different but you can try adding thiese lines to your .ovpn

route-nopull
route 111.111.111.1 255.255.255.255 vpn_gateway
route 111.111.111.2 255.255.255.255 vpn_gateway
route 111.111.111.3 255.255.255.255 vpn_gateway
route 111.111.111.4 255.255.255.255 vpn_gateway

Where the IPs are the ones you wish to pass through the VPN

Edited by Jdiesel

tyr_88

Are you using OpenVPN? Look into using "routes" to direct only your IPTV traffic to flow through your VPN. All other traffic will not pass through the VPN.

Depending on your VPN provider your setup my be different but you can try adding thiese lines to your .ovpn

route-nopull

PIA here dumping them soon as my term ends for NORD probably

IPTV isnt working great for me not sure if it is latest Emby or Roku updates

But ts streams and all would play no issue previously now im lucky to get a local news station to play. This is on a old windows install and a current fresh install so eliminated that

Spaceboy

route-nopull

trying to do this by setting rules on my ddwrt router. And struggling tbf. It's on the back burner for now

Jdiesel

I fought with this for a while TBH, it is poorly documented and lots of conflicting information on out there on how to do it. That is what I added to my ovpn when using IPVanish on the linux OpenVPN client to get it working.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I fought with this for a while TBH, it is poorly documented and lots of conflicting information on out there on how to do it. That is what I added to my ovpn when using IPVanish on the linux OpenVPN client to get it working.

same. Most guidance was on routing traffic from clients rather than to external addresses. I'll check out your tips

mwongjay

trying to do this by setting rules on my ddwrt router. And struggling tbf. It's on the back burner for now

I use openwrt on my router and installed openvpn on it to connect to an external vpn. I have several interfaces, one of which is to route traffic through the vpn. I use an L3 switch for routing and dhcp. Specific ports on my switch and any wifi client connected to a specific wifi network will exit through the vpn, but all other traffic exits normally. Seems like you are trying to do something similar?

Spaceboy

I use openwrt on my router and installed openvpn on it to connect to an external vpn. I have several interfaces, one of which is to route traffic through the vpn. I use an L3 switch for routing and dhcp. Specific ports on my switch and any wifi client connected to a specific wifi network will exit through the vpn, but all other traffic exits normally. Seems like you are trying to do something similar?

i just want all traffic on the LAN trying to access one specific website / IP to be routed through the VPN

mwongjay

i just want all traffic on the LAN trying to access one specific website / IP to be routed through the VPN

I'm not sure that would work. Yes, you can use openvpn to resolve the ip from a fqdn, however, once openvpn does the dns lookup for the ip and adds it to the routing table if the ip changes this would stop working. If you set up a subnet that exits through the vpn and assign your device (ie Roku, Fire Tv, etc) an ip in that subnet you won't have to worry about dns resolution. You could also set up inter-vlan routing to connect to any other network for additional content.