Issue with using Native Path on LAN

jasonmcroy
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

jasonmcroy

I seem to be having issues with using the Native path on Kodi 17.3 on my laptop and my Shield TV device. I had this issue a few months ago but it somehow resolved and I can't remember how it got fixed then. 

For some reason the issue isn't present if I try to use SPMC on the Shield device. 

On both instances of Kodi on both the laptop and the Shield device I can access the same folder paths via setting up SMB directly in Kodi using the same computer name (I tried both the computer name and the ip address numbers) username and password that I am using with the Addon. I have verified the password several times. 

I have my library folders setup on the Emby Server using the network paths (\\Server\Bluray Movies) and it plays fine via the Emby App on the Shield and on my laptop and like I said above, the SPMC App on the Shield device. 

On the initial sync I get that it couldn't find path \\Server\Bluray Movies\Deadpool.mkv (2016).

My Emby server is on a Windows 10 machine and is version 3.2.24.0. 

Here are my Kodi logs from the laptop device and my server logs:

server-63635674067.txt

kodi.log

I can see in the Kodi log it says the Emby server isn't accepting my username and password. Like I said I have verified both of these several times.

Angelblue05

Can you try the following: In the addon section > install from zip > navigate to your movie folder via smb. Does Kodi have access to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonmcroy

No, nothing shows up when I navigate where you said to. Even if I go to Add Videos in Kodi it doesn't automatically show my server HTPC unless I manually add the location. 

Could this be a discovery issue?

jasonmcroy

Ok, I have an update.

It must have been some odd network issue. I restarted my router and then rebooted the HTPC (just in case it needed it) and then did a local database reset in the addon that is running on the Kodi app on my laptop and re-entered my credentials. Voila! It's working beautifully now!

jasonmcroy

Oh well, I guess I spoke too soon.

It is still working on the Laptop with no issues. However, on the Shield TV device it is still not working in the official Kodi App 17.3. It is working for my movies in the SPMC app but not for my TV Show recordings.

I did do the same navigation steps you recommended I try on the Shield TV device and Kodi does see the HTPC folders if I go into addon section > install from zip > navigate to your movie folder via smb.

Angelblue05

Sorry, I had to step away. If Kodi can't see your folders then yes, most definitely a discovery issue with smb.

You could select addon playback, instead of native with play from http enabled. This would still play your original file, but from your server since the path can't be accessed by Kodi. At least, you'd have it working. Then, when you want to troubleshoot your path, you can simply disable play from http. The addon will try to direct play (obviously, if you manage to get it working, this means Kodi can access your content and you can switch to back to native)

jasonmcroy

Well, it looks like on the Shield Device now Kodi 17.3 isn't even accepting my password for network folders to directly access them. However, SPMC will.

Yes, I thought about just using the Kodi app with the default setting, and I think I will until I have time to research this further. The only reason I don't like using that setting is for my TV Recordings. It is very slow to skip through commercials with that setting whereas the Native Paths fly through them. 

I will look this up some more as to why even Kodi won't see my shared folders. It works great on my laptop, just not on the Shield Device. 

Thanks for your response on this though. I will update this if I can figure out what is going on.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Ok, just to give another update. I uninstalled both Kodi 17.3 and SPMC, restarted the Shield device and then reinstalled both. Both Kodi 17.3 and SPMC will find my networked folders on the HTPC and playback everything just fine. 

Via the Emby Addon I can playback everything (including TV Shows) just fine on SPMC (before it would playback Movies but not TV Shows). However, Kodi 17.3 just isn't cooperating. I does that same thing at the syncing stage and just can't it can't locate folder.

I guess I will just use SPMC for now. It may be some issue with the Android version of Kodi 17.3. I was more hoping to use Kodi 17.3 because there is a new Addon in their repo for playback of PSVue with my subscription that doesn't exist in the earlier version of Kodi that SPMC is based on.  

• Like 1

• Solution
Angelblue05

You should search the official forums for smb access issues, see if you find a solution to your problem. I remember reading something about it recently, but can't seem to find it.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

jasonmcroy

Thanks. I just did a search and sure enough, it is an issue with Kodi 17. There are several possible solutions listed. I am going to play around with this a little later tonight to see if any of them work for me.

Thanks again for pointing me in that direction!

• Like 1