Transcode / Downmix Audio Only

mantissa

mantissa

When using the web UI, is there an option to to convert the audio track from surround to stereo during direct streaming?
The video stream can remain the same, just the audio downmix would be nice.

mastrmind11

When using the web UI, is there an option to to convert the audio track from surround to stereo during direct streaming?

The video stream can remain the same, just the audio downmix would be nice.

I don't believe browsers support anything but stereo audio, in which case Emby will remux the audio stream automatically.  I could be mistaken though.

mantissa

I've been debugging it and it seems to come down to the fact that I use an external audio interface.
When using my mobo's audio it correctly detects and downmixes it to stereo.

My external interface has two stereo outputs so it treats it like a 5.1 system for some reason, really weird.
Haven't had any issues with other applications, just Emby streaming via Chromium.

Using the built in stereo is a workaround, but it would be nice if it could detect it correctly. :)

mastrmind11

You mention "direct streaming".  Is that what the dashboard is reporting or are you just calling it that?  I ask because if it's direct streaming, there should be a transcode/remux log that tells you what's happening to the audio and/or video stream(s).  Attach that file so we can take a look.  Might as well attach the server log as well.

mastrmind11

It's correctly remuxing DTS to AAC, so Emby is not the culprit here.

1. Stream mapping:
  2.   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  3.   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> aac (native))

mantissa

Hmm, then I'll have to investigate some more on my end. :)
Linux + External Sound Card = Interesting Times

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the logs, I think I should be able to figure it out from here.

mastrmind11

Hmm, then I'll have to investigate some more on my end. :)

Linux + External Sound Card = Interesting Times

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the logs, I think I should be able to figure it out from here.

Yeah, Linux + sound cards in general = Pull your hair out.  Been there.  Anyway, good luck.

• 1 month later...
ruffuss

i have to confess that i'm running into fairly similar issues.

i'm on OSX, and as reported everything works fine (i'm watching tv shows through the Web Client), as long as i'm using my internal sound card. switching to the external one leaves me - as reported before - with only side-tracks. most dialog is left out, but there is sound-effects, so audio works.

maybe it's a browser issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Some browsers handle 5.1 downmixing to stereo better than others, and that's why you see the mixed results from one to the next. We could provide an option to downmix on the server, but of course that will require transcoding which some will fine undesirable.

mantissa

That would be a nice option to have.
Maybe even have the normalization settings currently implemented also affect it?

I know that's not everyone's preference, but it a nice feature to have.
Some TV speakers are utter garbage. :)