Options to become a supporter without PayPal (US is OK, Canada not...)

Ray

Is there a way other than PayPal to become a supporter of MB3?  I paid to be a supporter for v2, but can't pay with Credit Card without signing up for a PayPal account.  (I can if the country is US, but not Canada.)  This is before entering any of my info, so it's not because I've passed any thresholds.  I've gotten shafted by PayPal before, so I never use them if I have ANY alternatives.  There is *NO* way I'm giving them all of my info and agreeing to all of their terms of service for a $10 CC transaction.

Unless settings are off for Canada on the Media Browser side it just isn't going to let me choose Canada without signing up for an account.  (https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/About-Business-Archive/US-Merchant-Canadian-Customer-without-a-PayPal-Account/td-p/642898)

US selected:

5307b41519963_ScreenShot20140221at31514P

Canada selected:

5307b3169fefe_ScreenShot20140221at31149P

leedavies

I've had messages from a few folks asking if other payment options could be made available - Google Wallet has been mentioned a few times.

Is that possible?

Google Wallet is not available in Canada.  (It's US only.)  The other issue is that it also requires you to sign up for an account and store all of your information.  When doing this with a company that isn't based in your own country, essentially your information is free game for any number of agencies, and they are exempt from repercussions if they decide to sell or disclose your information.

I'd even take the time to send a USD money order if there was an option for mailing.  I know getting a real merchant account may not be very cost effective if you aren't doing high volumes.  Add on a surcharge or make the minimum donation higher to make it worth trips to the bank if necessary.

trusselo

I paid for my supporter key with MB3 , Paypal, from Canada... ?

EDIT/ you dont want to setup a paypal account... for some reason.

I LOVE paypal. the only way i will pay for things online. they gave me every $ back of a 500$ fake ebay phone.

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 1

I don't mind using paypal if they accept the card without the account.  I do not want to have to sign up (which agrees to all terms of service they have) in order to use it.  If it's just a credit card transaction through them then they don't get rights to all of the rest of my information and access to my accounts.

Sorry, there is no other way at this point.  Of all the things we have to work on accepting other payment methods just doesn't rank very high because PayPal works for the vast majority of folks.  Maybe some day when we have the time we can investigate other methods.

trusselo - The only way you'll pay for things online?  Wow.  PP is one of the most horrible companies out there.  There are LOTS of people who don't like PP for all sorts of reasons.

Ray - If you want I could purchase another MBT supporter key and then you could just send me the $10 via Interac Transfer.  I fully understand people not wanting to use PP.

trusselo

trusselo - The only way you'll pay for things online?  Wow.  PP is one of the most horrible companies out there.  There are LOTS of people who don't like PP for all sorts of reasons.

yes there are lots of.....  people in this world.  yup.  theres "lots" that think vaccinations cause autism / or are part of a government mind control plot.

theres lots of dumb people in the world... too

most peoples complaints come from purchasing items from untrustworthy sources, on items that arent covered by paypals free protection. which is great. then they cry paypal screwed them.

and other people dont like letting paypal "have access" to their accounts, who dont actually understand the process, overthink every line in the ToS agreement, and dont realize how little access you are actually granting them.

frankly if someone doenst like paypal, you can either wait and see if google wallet will ever take off, (which if you have any legitimate issue with paypal, you will have the EXACT same moral/legal issue with google wallet or ANY OTHER ONLINE PAYMENT SERVICE), or you can just post your credit card number all over the internet....  or theirs bitcoin.

Edited by trusselo

Using your credit card is far safer than PayPal.  I'd say most complaints come from sellers and the fact that PP likes to demand confidential business info or simply 'limit' accounts at random.  Terms of service don't mean much.  It is really just a bunch of legal speak, that can be interpreted many different ways.

Google checkout / wallet is dead unless Google decides they actually want to do something with it.  It has been around for more than six years now, and hasn't really improved at all.

It is true that any other company would have a lot of the same TOS, but at least there would be more choice for people.  As a seller getting paid through a direct CC transaction is much better since you know you'll have that money in your bank account within 2 days at the most. 

• 9 months later...

Just as an update to this, I tried a few times to become a supporter without luck on PayPal short of having to add an account.  I haven't tried in at least a few months, but as of today I was able to make the supporter subscription in Canada as a Guest.  By default Canada needed an account.  I selected my country as US, then Canada again, and it no longer forced a paypal account to make the payment.

Just in case anyone else runs into the same issue I thought I'd post that this issue was worked around.

I'm glad to be able to support the project again since this is the main piece of software I use for my TV experience.

• Like 2