Hide all users from login screen

Untoten

Untoten

sigh.... I reinstalled my server and recovered users etc from backup.  Now I have an abundance of users, but it did not reinstate the user configuration to hide from login screen.  So now they are all showing up, this is incredibly frustrating.  how can I change all of them back at once instead of manually clicking each one?

Happy2Play

I would guess using something like notepad ++ and have it look at the policy.xml and change the <IsHidden>false</IsHidden> to <IsHidden>true</IsHidden>.  The are example on the forum but referencing other tags.

Untoten

I would guess using something like notepad ++ and have it look at the policy.xml and change the <IsHidden>false</IsHidden> to <IsHidden>true</IsHidden>.  The are example on the forum but referencing other tags.

I will try then.  Is it really so hard to just change it to a variable and allow mass user management?  It drives me crazy having to go through each user all the time.

Happy2Play

I will try then.  Is it really so hard to just change it to a variable and allow mass user management?  It drives me crazy having to go through each user all the time.

I now the pain, but notepad ++ can do them all in one click once you set the variables.

In short, yes - but just because there are 1,000 of these types of things people want so we have to prioritize.  I feel your frustration on some of these issues but most of the items that you feel are a huge deal to you (and I realize they are) are for a situation for which the system is simply not primarily designed.  The system is primarily designed as a home media server so mass amounts of users, LDAP, SSO etc, are just not an issue with the majority of people using the system in this manner.

Now, that doesn't mean we don't want to do those things.  It just means they cannot be at the top of the list right now :).

Happy2Play

@@ebr

Is this something that is broke in restoring from backup?  I would have to test but I see in my backups, this switch is backed up fine.

• Like 1

Untoten

In short, yes - but just because there are 1,000 of these types of things people want so we have to prioritize.  I feel your frustration on some of these issues but most of the items that you feel are a huge deal to you (and I realize they are) are for a situation for which the system is simply not primarily designed.  The system is primarily designed as a home media server so mass amounts of users, LDAP, SSO etc, are just not an issue with the majority of people using the system in this manner.

Now, that doesn't mean we don't want to do those things.  It just means they cannot be at the top of the list right now :).

I understand, I appreciate your patience with my persistence on these issues, but something like this seems minor as well and I may be wrong.  

I also understand this is not the primary use case, but there are many admins where it is as well, as most users struggle even setting this server up.  Things like this would also greatly assist the basic users, who will not be able to automate cntrl+f commands in notepad for sometimes 100+ users.

I do absolutely love your solution, I wish I could contribute more, I have began taking coding demos to try and help, this code can just be complex due to the federation of components.

EDIT: @@Happy2Play It messed up my users bad.  i also have a bunch of folders now that are named after the userid, and the normal username.  Not sure what happened.  Is the backup plugin in the logs?

Edited by Untoten

Happy2Play

Follow up to plugin question:  I just deleted a hidden user and restored user.  The user was restored with hidden status.

I would just restore users again from the plugin.

• Like 2

Untoten

Follow up to plugin question:  I just deleted a hidden user and restored user.  The user was restored with hidden status.

Should I delete them first?  As in, delete the physical folder?

Happy2Play

I deleted from Users UI but I see no reason you can't shut down server and delete all but your admin account.  If you need that id just go to Users-click on that user and look at the url to get that ID.

Thanks for testing that, happy.

You should always use the Emby UI when available.

Untoten

I deleted from Users UI but I see no reason you can't shut down server and delete all but your admin account.  If you need that id just go to Users-click on that user and look at the url to get that ID.

Weird okay I did that and it worked.  But now user physical folders on windows are named their user id meta value, not the username.

Weird okay I did that and it worked.  But now user physical folders on windows are named their user id meta value, not the username.

Okay, that's a change that was made years ago.  I guess these were very old users...?

Untoten

Okay, that's a change that was made years ago.  I guess these were very old users...?

Yeah that is why I did a reinstall.  i think it was originally from 2014-2015?

Happy2Play

Some how the plugin saves by username but when restored it users userid.

Note if you had usernames then if was from a really old install as my Stable is still by username.