Force download of tv artwork

PrincessClevage

PrincessClevage

Is there a way to Force download of tv artwork? I have some tiles in ET slowly having artwork appear and some are black like it is queuing or looking for artwork to display

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not entirely sure how the artwork is handled on the Emby side of things, but on the NextPVR side, it can depend on a few things. For example, if you're using an EPG that carries artwork info, like Schedules Direct, then you should get good reliable artwork for shows that have artwork. It can take a couple of seconds to download the artwork for a show, but Emby can be requesting dozens of those to be happening in parallel. If you're using an EPG without artwork, it can still get artwork, but it involves doing name searches. These typically take a second or so longer (again, can be doing lots of requests in parallel), and can results be a more hit-or-miss if you'll get artwork - though most mainstream shows should have matches. 

If you're trying to determine if the your problem is happening on the Emby or NextPVR side, you could try viewing the details of same recording or shows in NextPVR, to see if it shows artwork. 

Edited by sub3

arrbee99

Pretty sure I've asked before, and it was even answered, but is there any way in Emby or NextPVR to apply my own artwork and retain it for liveTV shows ?

What do you mean by shows? given how rapidly the guide changes, why would you want to do that?

arrbee99

Just shows as in whatever TV show is on now or preferably available in the TV guide.

Living in New Zealand we have a reasonable OTA TV guide (populated in Emby via NPVR), but quite a bit is local and there isn't artwork in the guide, or it gets it wrong (as in putting up BBC Breakfast artwork for a NZTV Breakfast programme) or just wrong (as in putting up artwork for an episode of Poldark showing at the moment from a series made in the 70's instead of for the new series, or putting up artwork for some kind of animal programme for a UK quiz show called The Chase), or being able to add some local art for other regular local stuff, like NZ News programmes.

Easier said than done I guess.

PrincessClevage

Just shows as in whatever TV show is on now or preferably available in the TV guide.

Living in New Zealand we have a reasonable OTA TV guide (populated in Emby via NPVR), but quite a bit is local and there isn't artwork in the guide, or it gets it wrong (as in putting up BBC Breakfast artwork for a NZTV Breakfast programme) or just wrong (as in putting up artwork for an episode of Poldark showing at the moment from a series made in the 70's instead of for the new series, or putting up artwork for some kind of animal programme for a UK quiz show called The Chase), or being able to add some local art for other regular local stuff, like NZ News programmes.

Easier said than done I guess.

Yes i have the same problem, it would be nice to have the ability to set a default category artwork e.g default artwork for all news category if no media can be found as this would fit ET flow/theme better than having a prime colour tile displayed.

PrincessClevage

I'm not entirely sure how the artwork is handled on the Emby side of things, but on the NextPVR side, it can depend on a few things. For example, if you're using an EPG that carries artwork info, like Schedules Direct, then you should get good reliable artwork for shows that have artwork. It can take a couple of seconds to download the artwork for a show, but Emby can be requesting dozens of those to be happening in parallel. If you're using an EPG without artwork, it can still get artwork, but it involves doing name searches. These typically take a second or so longer (again, can be doing lots of requests in parallel), and can results be a more hit-or-miss if you'll get artwork - though most mainstream shows should have matches.

If you're trying to determine if the your problem is happening on the Emby or NextPVR side, you could try viewing the details of same recording or shows in NextPVR, to see if it shows artwork.

i seem to only get about 50-60% tv show artwork coverage, I am using ota epg which has no artwork and I have tried adding xmltv from icetv but best I can get is 50-60% and rest show as prime colour tiles which really doesn't fit the rest of ET (all has artwork)

I was hoping that a force pull of artwork might give nextpvr time to search epg ahead and pull artwork. I have also added qsearch (think that was the nextpvr plugin name) for added artwork gathering with little effect

Edited by PrincessClevage

It will have tried to do an artwork search for every show it recorded. If you're only getting about 50-60%, then this is likely down to the shows you're trying to record.

It sounds like you're in Australia. Whether Australian shows have artwork is very hit or miss. ie, You should find you're getting artwork for all the bit mainstream US/UK type shows, like NCIS etc, but less likely with Australian shows. This is because the Internet artwork sources we use have great coverage for US content, and less so for artwork from shows in other countries. 

You can head over to http://thetvdb.com/ and search on some of the shows names to see what they bring back. 

PrincessClevage

It will have tried to do an artwork search for every show it recorded. If you're only getting about 50-60%, then this is likely down to the shows you're trying to record.

It sounds like you're in Australia. Whether Australian shows have artwork is very hit or miss. ie, You should find you're getting artwork for all the bit mainstream US/UK type shows, like NCIS etc, but less likely with Australian shows. This is because the Internet artwork sources we use have great coverage for US content, and less so for artwork from shows in other countries.

You can head over to http://thetvdb.com/ and search on some of the shows names to see what they bring back.

I am referring to upcoming epg artwork not artwork for recorded tv. Would it be possible to set default fall back artwork per epg category setting in nextpvr and this would get passed to emby if nextpvr can not find any artwork online? Also any way to add a schedule to download epg artwork ahead of time (say a weeks worth of epg art work at midnight and re-check for missing artwork each night)? Edited by PrincessClevage

I am referring to upcoming epg artwork not artwork for recorded tv. Would it be possible to set default fall back artwork per epg category setting in nextpvr and this would get passed to emby if nextpvr can not find any artwork online? Also any way to add a schedule to download epg artwork ahead of time (say a weeks worth of epg art work at midnight and re-check for missing artwork each night)?

The artwork for EPG stuff is pretty much the same - when Emby asks for any artwork, NextPVR will do the same searches.

This type of artwork needs to be done on-demand though, rather than downloading all the artwork for all the shows in your EPG. If you tried to do that, these artwork services would quickly ban your application. Some people with large lineups have upwards of 500,000 TV listings in their guide. Most people only ever want to view artwork for a tiny fraction of those, so best to do it on an as-needed basis.

ie, in NextPVR when you click on a show in the TV Guide, it'll first look for locally cached artwork, if none is available then it'll do an artwork search on the internet (and cache the results for next time). 

You can override the artwork by updating the cached files in C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Media\Shows. 

• Like 2

PrincessClevage

The artwork for EPG stuff is pretty much the same - when Emby asks for any artwork, NextPVR will do the same searches.

This type of artwork needs to be done on-demand though, rather than downloading all the artwork for all the shows in your EPG. If you tried to do that, these artwork services would quickly ban your application. Some people with large lineups have upwards of 500,000 TV listings in their guide. Most people only ever want to view artwork for a tiny fraction of those, so best to do it on an as-needed basis.

ie, in NextPVR when you click on a show in the TV Guide, it'll first look for locally cached artwork, if none is available then it'll do an artwork search on the internet (and cache the results for next time).

You can override the artwork by updating the cached files in C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Media\Shows.

Thanks Sub3, this is what I was after. I will slowly manually add artwork to this location for re-occurring shows with missing artwork like "Nine national News" etc

arrbee99

You can override the artwork by updating the cached files in C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Media\Shows. 

Yes thanks, that does sound useful. Do we need to do anything else, like recreate any of those XML files that are also in that folder ?

Edit: also you talk about 'override', as is replacing artwork thats already there ? can you actually add new artwork for other programmes or does it need some kind of database entry somewhere as well ?

Edited by arrbee99

Yes thanks, that does sound useful. Do we need to do anything else, like recreate any of those XML files that are also in that folder ?

Edit: also you talk about 'override', as is replacing artwork thats already there ? can you actually add new artwork for other programmes or does it need some kind of database entry somewhere as well ?

Save your image files in that directory. For any shows you've tried to view, regardless of if it had artwork, it'll have a .xml file too. 

You'll probably need to add a line to the xml file like:

<Poster>C:\Users\Public\NPVR\media\shows\The Avengers Age Of Ultron.jpg</Poster>

You can optionally add one like this too, if you have fanart background for that show:

<FanArt>C:\Users\Public\NPVR\media\shows\The Avengers Age Of Ultron.fanart.jpg</FanArt>

(obviously updated with the real file name you've created)

Edited by sub3
  • Like 1

arrbee99

Save your image files in that directory. For any shows you've tried to view, regardless of if it had artwork, it'll have a .xml file too. 

You'll probably need to add a line to the xml file like:

<Poster>C:\Users\Public\NPVR\media\shows\The Avengers Age Of Ultron.jpg</Poster>

You can optionally add one like this too, if you have fanart background for that show:

<FanArt>C:\Users\Public\NPVR\media\shows\The Avengers Age Of Ultron.fanart.jpg</FanArt>

(obviously updated with the real file name you've created)

Thanks very much, shall give it a go, assuming I can actually find some artwork for these obscure NZ programmes...

PrincessClevage

HI Sub,

I have started a trial for EPG data provider IceTV and they have image path built into their epg data pulling artwork primary form tvdb and where they can not source artwork they add a placeholder (see attached "eggheads: placeholder). I will check this afternoon if these placeholder .png are appearing in the nextpvr cache directory but i am assuming they are not for some reason, below is a small extract showing an example of eggheadss epg data with a "placeholder" image and  Antiques Roadshow with a normal show image that displays correctly.

</programme>

-<programme channel="2686" stop="20170719060000 +0000" start="20170719053000 +0000" mediaID="33426-232073" airingID="133217454">

<title lang="en">Eggheads</title>

<sub-title lang="en">The Young Codgers</sub-title>

<desc lang="en">A team of challengers take on seven of the greatest quiz show champions for a chance of winning a cash prize. Every time the Eggheads win, that prize increases.</desc>

<category lang="en">Game Show</category>

<language lang="en">English</language>

<icon src="http://images.icetv.com.au/placeholder/33426_poster.png" height="680" width="1000"/>

<country lang="en">United Kingdom</country>

<episode-num system="SxxExx">S12E112</episode-num>

<episode-num system="xmltv_ns">11.111..</episode-num>

<episode-num system="original-air-date">2016-08-05</episode-num>

-<video>

<present>yes</present>

<colour>yes</colour>

<aspect>16:9</aspect>

<quality>HDTV</quality>

</video>

<previously-shown start="2016-08-05"/>

<subtitles type="teletext"/>

-<rating system="ACMA">

<value>G</value>

</rating>

</programme>

-<programme channel="2686" stop="20170719070000 +0000" start="20170719060000 +0000" mediaID="5872-223395" airingID="133217455">

<title lang="en">Antiques Roadshow</title>

<sub-title lang="en">Wells 2</sub-title>

<desc lang="en">Fiona Bruce and the team of experts return to the Bishops Palace in Wells, Somerset as they welcome visitors with their valuables. Objects under scrutiny include a valuable bracelet once gifted by Queen Victoria.</desc>

<date>1979</date>

<category lang="en">Lifestyle</category>

<language lang="en">English</language>

<icon src="http://images.icetv.com.au/6be9-694c-2490-8c4a.jpg" height="1000" width="680"/>

<country lang="en">United Kingdom</country>

<episode-num system="SxxExx">S31E20</episode-num>

<episode-num system="xmltv_ns">30.19..</episode-num>

<episode-num system="original-air-date">2016-04-13</episode-num>

<episode-num system="thetvdb.com">series/83774</episode-num>

<episode-num system="imdb.com">series/tt0200325</episode-num>

-<video>

<present>yes</present>

post-6439-0-48769500-1500415550_thumb.png

It's very uncommon for xmltv files to have artwork included in them, so NextPVR isn't looking for the artwork there. I'll try to add support for this artwork in the next release of NextPVR. 

• Like 1

Can you supply me a complete IceTV xmltv file, so I can try it out here?

PrincessClevage

It's very uncommon for xmltv files to have artwork included in them, so NextPVR isn't looking for the artwork there. I'll try to add support for this artwork in the next release of NextPVR. 

Will NextPVR auto check for updates and show a popup?

Yes, NextPVR will show a popup next time you run the NextPVR interface, and a new version is available. 

Will NextPVR auto check for updates and show a popup?

That new release is out now. 

PrincessClevage

Thanks for adding artwork links from epg data, working as expected and the first time I have ever been please with live tv artwork/view.

I will definitely be making a donation.

I did observer that emby server live tv is now not showing nextpvr plugin or my tuner cards and has a spinning circle for 1 min then just displays refresh epg data button, but epg data and tv streams still work.

PrincessClevage

With latest Emby server updated tuners and nextpvr plugin are showing as expected again.

Didnt realise your Kiwi until now Sub3, made a donation.

Thanks, I will be recommending nextpvr for ease of setup and use and also functionality.

With latest Emby server updated tuners and nextpvr plugin are showing as expected again.

Didnt realise your Kiwi until now Sub3, made a donation.

Thanks, I will be recommending nextpvr for ease of setup and use and also functionality.

Thanks - much appreciated!