Emby Server stops working

omerome

• 2 weeks later...

@@omerome, we're sorry to hear about this. please let us know if you are still having a problem once 3.2.33 is available for freenas. Thanks.

mrvirtual

HI @Luke 

Still having this issue on 3.2.32 FreeNas FreeBSD plugin.

Attaching a post service restart log for you, Older logs have an error: Sequence contains no matching element on the Web page that opens when you select the log.

I feel this is more a bug than a load issue, my box is idle, the NAS is very lightly used, it's there just for Emby really.

It reports as idle every day.

v 3.2.33 downloading now, I'll report back.

07102017.log

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been having the same issue as the people above - I'm running FreeNAS 11 as well.

When I've tried using the plugin ffmpeg isn't installed. I read that you need to have some media first to get it downloaded so I added my shared media dataset, set the ownership in the shell for the jail, but when emby scanned the folder it found nothing.

So I installed emby manually in a jail from scratch (I got into this game when corral just came out...I miss the simplicity & the performance was actually muchhhh better). I created the emby user in FreeNAS with the same UID etc, gave it ownership of the folders, re-installed ffmpeg, disabled the 16 bit option for imagemagick, etc. However, even with the latest version of Emby I'm still having to restart basically daily.

I read this thread a bit ago and I didn't think it seemed like a resource issue, but just in case I bumped things up from a i3 6100 to a e3 1245 v6..... so a lot more power & I went from 16 to 32 gigs of ram (on a 3 disk 9TB total rig, not counting a nifty Oracle flash accelerator card I picked up for $20 to be used as a secondary ZIL ;) ). Now the upgrades co-incide with the updates being rolled out for FreeBSD & it did seem like emby stayed running a little longer, but not a whole lot more (and I'm fine having spent that amount of money - I really plan on using Emby more heavily, especially once the live TV stuff for apple tv is fully released & I get docker back up so I can iron out the bugs in WMCServer).

This being said I've also had some issues with plugins - I have the restart plugin, but don't have that task in my task scheduler. I keep deleting the timelord plugins, but they're still there, and the user reporting one worked for a bit then I started getting 'object not found' errors.

Not sure what exactly is the issue & I can't wait to go back to docker...I think I'll have to set some time aside this weekend to do it and set it up the way I want. But I've attached my logs in the meantime.

I've been having some generic issues with sharing to the FreeNAS so I also went a bit OD updating pfsense on my router yesterday & added avahi if that makes any difference....

thanks!

Log.txt

mrvirtual

@@appoli yes I am having to restart daily, very frustrating.

I am heading down the path of using a bhyve VM (Ubuntu server) and will install EMby server on this.

I just need to mount the media location within the Ubuntu server from the CIFS share, maybe I could share it out as NFS too....

while my little NAS box is not as powerful as yours, there is no load, plenty of free memory and cpu cycles, I think there is something hanging the web service on the FreeBSD build.

I previously had all this setup on a VM with FreeNAS 9.2 when there was a Virtual Box plugin, it never had an issue until it was dropped due to lack of build support.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. We are working on getting all of our supported operating systems moved over to the new .NET Core runtime, which is faster and more stable. BSD will take a little while, and while we haven't deployed it to Docker just yet, it won't be too long. Thanks.

@@mrvirtual - I agree, I think it’s something else where, and if you can I’d suggest NFS as the sharing protocol, but since it’s a media dataset I’m sure you’re probably sharing it to other users as well...

But I’m sure it will run much better for you than in a jail!

@@Luke - thank you for the update regarding changing over to .NET core runtime. Any idea on the timeline? And btw, docker ran way better than FreeBSD. Both in stability & performance.

Also - would you have had a chance to look over my log? There are some errors in it, at the very least towards the end. I’m thinking that it’s probably something more on the FreeNAS side so I was hoping for something specific to go to that community with.

Also, regarding the plugin - is that behavior you have heard of before? While I was typing it I figured that it might not have detected media due to the lack of ffmpeg?

Anyway, people rave about how light jails are, but from my little experience they don’t work out very well. I’d like to know if there is something specifically wrong with my machine and hopefully get some help fixing it!

Thanks a bunch!

PS - I just bought an Apple TV 4K and gave my 4th gen to my brother who doesn’t have cable in his room. Do you know when the new Apple TV app will be released? Or is it far enough in the future that I should sign up for beta?

Hello again.

The problem came back for me. I did not make any changes to my server and today when I tried to log in, Emby says that it cannot find my server and until I manually restart my jail on FreeNAS, it won't work.

server-63644227200.txt

Ditto (obviously) and since the new app came out (live TV, yay!) my friends haven’t been able to connect (those off the network) with the Apple TV app. And they said via phone when a video is selected it doesn’t stop loading :(

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
omerome

Just to give an update to this thread, I decided to just move my Emby installation to my Windows 7 machine instead of using FreeBSD (FreeNAS). Now it's much more stable and I don't have to worry about the server randomly not working some days. I might give it a try on FreeBSD again since that machine has a much more powerful CPU for transcoding purposes.