want to love EMBY.. switch to EMBY... but.

jaquestati

jaquestati

been a hardcore plex user for a year now....

but emby has so much more control.... and does things like let you have a mixed content library.. that plex cannot do...

and the iptv plugin works so much better/is so much more stable....

but...

(and i have tried installing/working with the stable, beta and dev channel versions....)

all three of them have slowly gone to sh#t... as i've added my massive libraries..

when it was just one large library it worked GREAT,...

but now that i've added 5 or 6 more large libraries... it has gone to pot.

i've let emby scan the libraries.... but it hangs at like 70% FOR DAYS...

and even when i restart the server and just try and play ANYTHING... i just get this white screen with a pause button and some green circles : (

NOTHING will play... nothing.

even after DAYS of scanning... even when it imports things... it doesn't match them or download metadata...

ready to give up and go back to plex..

i've enabled debug logging and tried to make heads or tails of it.. to no avail....

any suggestions would be welcomed.

Edited by jaquestati

SkyBehind

I'll save the mods the first post.

What OS are you running, what's your hardware, post your server logs

jaquestati

I'll save the mods the first post.

What OS are you running, what's your hardware, post your server logs

ubuntu 16.04

Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 3.30GHz

16mb ram

what/wheres the best way to post a log?

just glancing thru it.... for weird errors.... this one stands out.... hundreds and hundreds of these errors from periods nothing was playing anyways.. ?

is this my problem?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2017-07-12 01:20:56.3230 Error SessionManager: Error reporting playback progress

*** Error Report ***

Version: 3.2.25.0

Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh

Operating system: Unix 4.4.0.83

64-Bit OS: True

64-Bit Process: True

Mono: 4.8.1 (Stable 4.8.1.0/22a39d7 Tue May 2 22:26:20 UTC 2017)

Processor count: 8

Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server

Application directory: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at MediaBrowser.Controller.Session.SessionInfo+<OnProgressTimerCallback>c__async0.MoveNext () [0x00138] in <c2ac6d77c4344bef849591a10049f581>:0

System.NullReferenceException

at MediaBrowser.Controller.Session.SessionInfo+<OnProgressTimerCallback>c__async0.MoveNext () [0x00138] in <c2ac6d77c4344bef849591a10049f581>:0 

Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 3.30GHz RAM: 16GB

jaquestati

things are playing now for the most part... sometimes takes a while...

i think it must have to do with trying to play things while scanning a large library or something. (is that an issue?)

most tv and cartoon shorts aren't matching/getting any metadata (like a library of old disney shorts and one of looney toons (a combined say 2000 shorts that gets like 98% matched by plex... gets like 1% matched by emby...  !? : ) : ( 

but by far my two biggest issues are the length of the scans (basically days it seems)

(is there a way to see a realtime output on scans... like 'status/alerts' in plex so i can see emby matching or not matching files/loading metadata etc?)

and the livetv programming guide being so slow its unusable (is there  way to remove channels from the guide or use a favorite list? (i have IPTV. via a m3u)

thanks in advance.

Edited by jaquestati

the error about progress that is filling up your log is harmless. i've resolved it for the next release.

your scanning is processing a lot of new content and downloading metadata as well as extracting images from video files. once this completes future scans will be faster.

• Like 1

jaquestati

the error about progress that is filling up your log is harmless. i've resolved it for the next release.

your scanning is processing a lot of new content and downloading metadata as well as extracting images from video files. once this completes future scans will be faster.

thanks... good to know....

still a little worried about the length of the scan though (like 15 hours later... the scan of my tv library has gone from like 91 to like 93% : ) : (

hopefully you re right and it will speed up after the first scan....

as for my other question (any way to make the episode/program guide usable... maybe by removing channels?) since iptv is a plugin though... maybe i should find a forum more related to that on here... : ) : (

thanks again.

Edited by jaquestati

tdiguy

If library scans remain problematic for how long they take you could disable the schedualed task and manually run a scan on individual libraries when needed. 

Jdiesel

Library scans generally are quite quick even for large libraries. It is the generation of thumbnails during the inital scan that can cause scanning to grind to a halt. I recommend disabling "Extract chapter images during library scan" and setup a scheduled task to run "Chapter Image Extraction" during a time when you aren't using the server. In a few days it will be all caught up and you can enable  "Extract chapter images during library scan" again and all future library scans will generate thumbnails on the fly and should be quick unless you are adding huge amounts of new media at a time.

Same goes for the Roku thumbnail plugin which is even more resource intensive. 

Edited by Jdiesel

jaquestati

If library scans remain problematic for how long they take you could disable the schedualed task and manually run a scan on individual libraries when needed. 

that's what ive been doing.

checking in on the tv library scan its been stuck on 92% since 10pm last night basically....

is there any way to see a real time list of 'events' like in the plex status page (where you see file by file what is being imported/matched etc..?)

i just can't imagine being stuck at the same percent for the better part of a day : ) : (

mastrmind11

Are others using the media while you're scanning? If so, make it stop, if not, tail the log.... it's not "stuck" unless the log stops growing....

• Like 1

jaquestati

Under Windows you could look at Recource Monitor and then Disc Workload...

i'm using a linux server

checking resource monitor.. everything looks fine/normal... 

cept for  an average of around 75 megabytes a second of incoming data/download.... it seems as if emby is downloading the entire file before importing it... only explanation i can think of??? is it normal for an emby import/scan of a library to pull in 75mbs a sec or so??  another odd thing about that to me... is it doesnt seem to be matching very much... so i dont think its metadata download)

the other day to test.... i made a new library (i use an encrypted mount on google drive.. encfs not rclone crypt with a plexdrive altered rclone mount) put about 1000 large files in it and imported the new library into plex then into emby... i actually didnt bother to time it.... i would say plex took a half hour to an hour... emby took 5 or 6 times that i think.. but again i didnt actually time it... i was just trying to see if it could import a smaller library... which it did.

again maybe this speed is normal on an initial scan if the library is this large.... but i really just wish i could see a printout of whats being scanned/matched imported... there really isnt any way to do that?

oh and its not stopped.. it went up to 94% a few minutes ago on the TV library scan.. i figure at this rate the scane will be done friday or saturday : ) : (

edit-

it was just drivin me crazy.. so i broke down and restarted the server again... then tried scanning a much smaller library that i had added about 30 files to since emby first scanned it.)... emby added the new files like instantaneously : )

... but no metadata seems to be loading and its been sitting on 90% now for about 15 minutes.... curious to see how long it takes...

Edited by jaquestati

jaquestati

still stuck in the same spot..

i think this HAS to be related to metadata.....

looking thru this library that i thought emby was done importing a few days ago... like 60% of the movies are still unmatched/lacking metadata.

its sill stuck a 90%, and its not loading data or matching the new 30  or 40 files it imported... so i m assuming it is matching/downloading data for some of the still unmatched 60%

if only there was a real time way to see what emby was doing.... : (

tdiguy

Also curious, your libraries are they on network storage? I don't know if it matters or not myself.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

jaquestati

Can we see a new emby server log? thanks !

ok here's the latest one...

emby still balks at playing things as a library scan is going on... not sure if that's normal....

but library scans are still taking forever.... i think from looking at this.. that it hasn't completely imported/tried to identify my music library ?

i stopped a full library scan, restarted the server and made/imported two new libraries/folders... and compared the import speed with plex on the same new folders.... 

plex was superfast at importing the two folders (a small tv and small movie folder/library)... emby took like 5 times as long... but personally i could live with that, so many things in emby i like more than plex... 

maybe you can tell why the library scan is still talking so long.. it breezes up to like 70% then just hangs there... looking like it would/will take another day to get from 70 to the finish line : ) : (

is there a better setting/database to use for matching movies, music or tv? does it look like i have those set right? is that whats taking so long?

i've noticed (and this may be my real dealbreaker) that emby only identifies/matches and loads metadata for about 30% of what plex does... (no my files/folders aren't named using the exact proper naming conventions... but whereas plex still identifies 70% of my files.. emby does like 30%... is there no way to make embys search for matches a bit looser?

with 50tbs of non recommended naming conventions named files on a cloud server (one that you cant run stuff like filebot on or easily change names)

embys stricter matching/identifying might make all my efforts at switching over from plex moot : (

Edited by jaquestati

As far as matching goes we'd have to look at surviving examples including folder structure, n file names, how it is setup in emby, etc. Thanks !

jaquestati

As far as matching goes we'd have to look at surviving examples including folder structure, n file names, how it is setup in emby, etc. Thanks !

yea... i'll get a print out of the directory to you... i just kinda hesitate to post it on a forum....

i'm paranoid enough to have to go back and delete these logs after you and others have seen them/commented : ) : (

all i can say is the new tv library i made imported into plex in like 20 minutes....like 20 of the 24 shows identified, matched and metadata loaded... and emby.... did import them fast... maybe faster than plex.... but to this point has only matched/identified like 3 of the shows (i dont wanna say it on't.. until the library scan is complete.. but it doesnt seem like it ever will ... : ( (been days now)

i have all the real time monitoring turned off... yet emby still seems to want to go back and import/grab every new file i post.. in the middle of its full library scan ..

i am CONSTANTLY uploading 100s of files to google drive/my libraries... is there some setting i can turn off?? besides real time monitoring (which was already off for all libraries) could every new file i upload .. like restart the library scan?? i mean it has been sitting on 70.9 percent or so for 24 hours... every few hours google pops up a notification of the discovery of a couple new files in one of the libraries....

its just really really frustrating that there is no way to see what eby is doing/analyzing/importing in real time... like plex does/has....

for 5 and 6 hours at a time it sits on the same percent and pops up zero notifications/i have no idea what its doing/stuck on : (

you can try turning off the screen grabber. i saw lots of thumbnail image generation in a previous log.

As far as matching goes we'd have to look at specific examples including folder structure, file names, how it is setup in emby, etc. Thanks !

jaquestati

you can try turning off the screen grabber. i saw lots of thumbnail image generation in a previous log.

As far as matching goes we'd have to look at specific examples including folder structure, file names, how it is setup in emby, etc. Thanks !

i turned on the screen grabbing downloading of images first... because emby wasnt matching.. like anything.. seemed the only way to make it useable : (

but is there  way to stop it importing new files from libraries its already supposedly finished scanning?  i could be wrong... but it seems like that keeps grinding it to a halt/making it rescan the entire library again.

jaquestati

like right now... without me stopping the scan or doing anything... its gone back from like 70.9 finished on the full library scan to like 60.5....

and my guess is... if i touched nothing/uploaded nothing.... it would easily take another 2 full days to get from 60.5 to 99.9 percent. : (

i'll make new libraries/folders that aren't in emby... to upload hat i need to upload tonight and tomorrow.... and see if it ever gets to 100%

a little messy... but all i can think to do to at least try and see if this is ever gonna work/finish : ) : (

edit- 8 hours later its up to 71.3  ??!!

Edited by jaquestati