Is "Android Mobile" the same as "Emby for Android"?

mrfaulk

mrfaulk

probably a dumb question, but are these the same apps? i'm assuming they are given i don't see a "android mobile" app in the play store... which brings me to my next question... i'll be using emby for my home theater, not for a mobile device, so i assume the "emby for android tv" is the best option given it's remote control friendly interface? the thing is, i like the "emby for android" gui much, much more and would like to use that, is there any way to make it remote control friendly as well? for example, when scrolling through poster covers the tv app enlarges the poster you're on making it very easy to navigate, no such love with the android app, any setting or way to change this?

CBers

Emby for Android TV is designed to run on devices such as the Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield TV's, Xiami Boxes and TV's that run Android TV.

There is an Emby Android app fir phones and tablets.

mrfaulk

Emby for Android TV is designed to run on devices such as the Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield TV's, Xiami Boxes and TV's that run Android TV.

There is an Emby Android app fir phones and tablets.

yes, gathered as much.... have tried both apps, the emby for android and the emby for android tv on my rooted nvidia shield... as i mentioned, i much prefer the non-tv gui, it's great, but as far as i can tell it's not optimized for remote control use like the emby for android tv app... so my question is, is  there a setting i'm missing, or a tweak, that would make the non-tv app remote control friendly?

No, you aren't missing a setting.  The mobile version is designed for touch interfaces.

Since everything else on your Shield looks and operates like our Android TV app, why do you prefer the mobile version?  What, specifically, about it do you like better?

mrfaulk

No, you aren't missing a setting.  The mobile version is designed for touch interfaces.

Since everything else on your Shield looks and operates like our Android TV app, why do you prefer the mobile version?  What, specifically, about it do you like better?

honestly, too many things to list... but for starters, i don't like the single scrolling row (all), the very dimmed background, the relatively small poster sizes, the colored cards that can't be changed in settings (suggestions/favorites), in fact not much can be changed in settings, the home page, the wide sidebar, the enormous emby branding, the large library icons, the clock, etc., etc., etc... in fact the home page looks like a stab at estuary, which i didn't care for....

to tell you the truth, this is my first dip into android tv and i'm not liking it very much, every gui on the windows box is so much nicer than what android offers, spotify for example, i can't believe how worthless the android app is compared the windows desktop app or the chrome web browser using windows, same for google play, and i think emby's gui is flat out beautiful in the windows environment....

actually i purchased the shield tv pro in order to stream 4k content, read that it rocked when it came to 4k/uhd, something my windows box didn't do very well... i'm not a gamer so i 'm not interested in what shield offers in that sense, altho it's clearly why many purchase it.... the thing is, i just purchased a 4k tv and. lo and behold, it has a built in roku system that's lightning fast, and allows me to stream pretty much any 4k/uhd content from the web, makes the shield look cumbersome, so now i'm wondering why i even have to mess around with android devices....

anyway, looking forward to hooking everything up and using emby as my nas movie front-end... i've gone down the kodi and plex paths in the past and emby is the clear winner for my needs, you guys have done an excellent job, muchas gracias!

Okay, so you just don't like the Android TV interface because our home screen is pretty much a stock implementation of it (with the addition of the clock which was highly requested).

596395ca4b49b_youtubeapp.png

596395d91b7f6_newhome.png

CBers

honestly, too many things to list...

Meh!

the thing is, i just purchased a 4k tv and. lo and behold, it has a built in roku system that's lightning fast, and allows me to stream pretty much any 4k/uhd content from the web

Try installing the Emby Roku app.

makes the shield look cumbersome, so now i'm wondering why i even have to mess around with android devices....

The Nvidia Shield is the best Android TV device on the market.

mrfaulk

The Nvidia Shield is the best Android TV device on the market.

and that's why i bought it... but then i added a 4k tv a couple of weeks later that seems to offer everything the shield does in terms of 4k streaming, and on top of that a very snappy roku interface...

https://www.cnet.com/products/tcl-55p607/review/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6FSV5Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mrfaulk

Okay, so you just don't like the Android TV interface because our home screen is pretty much a stock implementation of it (with the addition of the clock which was highly requested).

596395ca4b49b_youtubeapp.png

596395d91b7f6_newhome.png

yeah, just not my cup of tea, much prefer this look....

02.jpg

01.jpg

mrfaulk

You get that display if you go into the libraries.

when using the emby android tv app? when i use it i get this display when i go into the the libraries...

image.jpg

mrfaulk

Click in the COG and you can change the views and poster sizes.

sure, there are poster size options (auto, small, medium and large), but they all seem to be confined to a narrow horizontal scroll bar, framed by a lot of empty space, as if the code is positioning the poster area above something it expects to find, so as not to cover it up.... and of course the layouts are not consistent from category to category (aside from the very dim unfocused objects), for example if you select the "small" poster option in (library > all) you get three rows of small thumbs, then jockey over to favorites and you get one row of large card thumbs.... anyway, went through all of the layout options, none looked nearly as nice as the non-tv options imo, but of course this is all just personal taste stuff...

small

zsmall.jpg

medium

zmed.jpg

zdefault.jpg

favorites

zfav.jpg

Edited by mrfaulk

CBers

I'd still like to see a vertical list, as they do in Plex, but I very rarely select anything from my libraries, instead choosing from Next Up and/or Recent Shows/Movies.

pünktchen

sure, there are poster size options (auto, small, medium and large), but they all seem to be confined to a narrow horizontal scroll bar, framed by a lot of empty space, as if the code is positioning the poster area above something it expects to find, so as not to cover it up.... and of course the layouts are not consistent from category to category (aside from the very dim unfocused objects), for example if you select the "small" poster option in (library > all) you get three rows of small thumbs, then jockey over to favorites and you get one row of large card thumbs.... anyway, went through all of the layout options, none looked nearly as nice as the non-tv options imo, but of course this is all just personal taste stuff...

small

zsmall.jpg

medium

zmed.jpg

zdefault.jpg

favorites

zfav.jpg

I don't have that empty space.

@@ebr doesn't the app scale correctly to 4K?

Yeah, something is wrong because there should not be that empty space below.

I run the app at 4k all the time.

@@mrfaulk at what resolution is the Shield set?  And what does the TV say it is receiving?

Also, I'm not sure this is an option in Android TV but have you messed with text size settings or anything like that?  

Wait, you said your Shield was rooted... why and what did you change when you did that?

mrfaulk

Yeah, something is wrong because there should not be that empty space below.

I run the app at 4k all the time.

@@mrfaulk at what resolution is the Shield set?  And what does the TV say it is receiving?

Also, I'm not sure this is an option in Android TV but have you messed with text size settings or anything like that?  

Wait, you said your Shield was rooted... why and what did you change when you did that?

thanks very much for the response but it's now moot, i'm going to ditch my android devices and stick with my windows boxes, it appears the nuc i5 i purchased not too long ago can handle my nas movie library including lossless audio tracks (atmos, etc.) using the display port out, my oppo can handle 4 blurays, and my 4k tv can handle all of the 4k/uhd net streaming i want using its roku interface (a primary reason i picked up a shield), now if 4k projectors would just come waaay down in price....

honestly, i don't think i've come across an android app that touches the windows app version, or the windows desktop version if available, for example the friggin' spotify android app is plain laughable if not used on a phone, but beautiful, fun and a joy to use when launched from the windows app version or windows desktop version...

and emby? i've been playing around with both the windows theater app and the windows browser interface, both are absolutely fantastic, can't decide which to use, but will probably go with the theater version given i can get the browser view by selecting desktop mode in display settings if that's the look i land on... speaking of display mode settings, mobile/tablet and desktop seem to be the same thing? i'm not seeing any difference.... also, any way to change the folder icons to, say, movie images or something else? looks kind of odd, out of place, surrounded by cool movie stills....

anyway, visuals are extremely important to my setup, i could certainly get away with using android devices and apps, but i'd just rather not if i can get the same performance with much more attractive visuals, which is what windows boxes seem to offer imo.... also, with chrome remote desktop, it's a snap to manage my windows media boxes remotely (one for movie/vids, one for music), the guys at google git it right, the interface is impressive as hell in terms of remote desktop resolution and navigation speed, trying to do the same with android boxes using vysor, teambuilder or airdroid is a joke by comparison, horrible resolution, clunk/slow navigation, etc....

You do realize that Android == Google :).

In any case, that's why there is choice.  You like more of the Windows style so that's what you go with.

It would be nice to know what caused your display issues.  At this point, I can only guess it was related to something that was changed in the rooting process.

mrfaulk

@@mrfaulk Which mobile phone OS do you use?

the screen grabs were from a rooted shield pro running a full nougat rom, maybe that was the prob, a "tv" app installed on a non-tv os, altho other "tv" apps i tried seemed to work fine, maybe it was caused by the icon and font settings i adjusted in nova launcher, increased both in size, fwiw the "regular" emby android app looked fine....

You do realize that Android == Google :).

In any case, that's why there is choice.  You like more of the Windows style so that's what you go with. It would be nice to know what caused your display issues.  At this point, I can only guess it was related to something that was changed in the rooting process.

not sure i follow your "android=google" comment? are you referencing what i wrote about chrome remote desktop? sure wish it could be used to control android devices from pcs, the opposite appears to be true, but no use to me, altho if i ever had a need to control the windows media boxes using a phone as a remote...

anyway, absolutely lovin' emby's gui and functionality, it's so nice that it may even convince me to use it for more than movie streaming, something i've never been interested in doing, i.e. using a "media center" solution.... as i mentioned before, i really wish i had checked out emby before i spent a bunch of time modding the estuary theme for my kodi install, especially considering the mod looked roughly like emby does out of the box, ha ha...

this was my first stab at the mod:

x03.jpg

x04.jpg

then i modded it some more for my 2:35.1 setup:

x01.jpg

x02.jpg

CBers

No, which mobile phone OS do you use on your phone? Just wondered if you were already an Android user, or if this was your first foray into using Android?

Is your Shield actually running the same OS that Nvidia provide, but rooted? If not, then there's no way of knowing that your issues are caused by the ROM you have installed.

Why would you want to RDP into your Android TV device? It has a 10 foot UI for a reason. You can access the files on the Shield via the Storage options, but you do need to have the Plex apps enabled.

I have rooted many Android devices over the years, but I have absolutely no need to root any of my 3 Shield TV's.

In any case, you can't compare a Windows HTPC with an Android TV device as they are completely different beasts.

:)

mrfaulk

No, which mobile phone OS do you use on your phone? Just wondered if you were already an Android user, or if this was your first foray into using Android?

yes, i use android devices, phones, tablets, etc, have for years, rooted some, not others....

Is your Shield actually running the same OS that Nvidia provide, but rooted? If not, then there's no way of knowing that your issues are caused by the ROM you have installed.

yep, i get that, as i mentioned earlier it could very well be the nougat rom that's causing the funky emby tv app layout i posted earlier, or perhaps the gui settings (icon/font size) i set in nova launcher, who knows, albeit all other apps seem to be working perfectly fine.

Why would you want to RDP into your Android TV device? It has a 10 foot UI for a reason. You can access the files on the Shield via the Storage options, but you do need to have the Plex apps enabled.

you can access files without plex too, just set the box to usb debugging and connect a usb cable, of course by mounting the shield using the plex server you can access files wirelessly... anyway, my setup is in a commercial environment with the media boxes/devices located in the service area, it's important that i'm able to control them, maintain them, and troubleshoot them from my office or other remote location.

I have rooted many Android devices over the years, but I have absolutely no need to root any of my 3 Shield TV's.

my guess is most folks don't, but i just couldn't stand shield's gui, especially the "recommendation row" nonsense which is set in stone... sure, you can remove items from the row, empty it even, but a large empty space remains with an icon to remind you that it's ready to show recommendations... i also didn't like the limited number of apps that were available to a tv device, side-loading wasn't a solution imo, too many apps failed... honestly, if you're not into gaming i'm not sure how shield's gui could be acceptable, but that's just me... so you have 3 shields? want a 4th at a good price? i'll even return it to stock!

In any case, you can't compare a Windows HTPC with an Android TV device as they are completely different beasts. :)

honestly, i think they're much more similar than different, i.e. they both deliver a large variety of streaming content to a display (and sound system), they're both multi-functional, as opposed to other media delivery devices such as a blueray player, a sat/cable box, etc.... whatever the case, we're all after the same thing, which is the best solution that meets our individual needs and, on that note, i'm very happy to report that emby is aces in that department, in terms of what i need from a front-end.... now if i can only find more info on the intriguing css option, what exactly can be done with it, hmm.....

• Like 1

maybe it was caused by the icon and font settings i adjusted in nova launcher, increased both in size,

Pretty sure one of those was the case - most likely the font/icon size settings.  Since the Android TV OS has no ability for the user to adjust those, I imagine some of the elements we are using are not accounting for it properly.

The mobile app would be fine because it is not using the Android TV specific elements.

• 2 weeks later...
mrfaulk

Pretty sure one of those was the case - most likely the font/icon size settings.  Since the Android TV OS has no ability for the user to adjust those, I imagine some of the elements we are using are not accounting for it properly.

The mobile app would be fine because it is not using the Android TV specific elements.

not sure why this didn't occur to me earlier, but i think i'm getting the narrow display (lots of empty space) when using emby for andorid tv because i'm trying to run it on a non-android tv device, i rooted the shield and installed a non-andorid tv rom.... just installed emby for android tv on a non-android tv tablet to test and i get the same narrow display (lots of empty space).....