Movie Scraping Issues

otispresley
Go to solution Solved by otispresley,

otispresley

I saw nowhere else relevant to post this as this also happened when I was running Emby on Windows as well, so if it is in the wrong forum then please move it.

There are 2 issues I wanted to bring up as follows:

1. Exact Title Match - I have noticed some of my movies being identified incorrectly. For example, "The Boss (2016).mkv" gets identified as "The Boss Baby" instead. Doing a manual identification shows that even though I search with a title of "The Boss" and the year of "2016", The title "The Boss Baby" is still the first hit in the list with the correct one being second. Shouldn't the exact title match be first in the list? I have a feeling it is like this because this is the order in which the results are returned from TheMovieDB.com, which is first on my list of metadata providers; a search on their website also returns them in the incorrect order.
  2. Collections with One File - In my movie library, I have series/collections inside folders to aid with management. If I have a movie that I know is part of a series or collection, I will create a folder inside the Movies share with the name of the collection as it appears on TheMovieDB.com and then move the file into it...so I can complete the collection later. What I have noticed is that when there is only one file inside the folder, Emby identifies the movie with the collection name instead of the movie title. For example, "Bruce Almighty (2003).mkv" gets identified as "Almighty Collection" rather than "Bruce Almighty". Things are identified correctly when there are 2 or more files in the folder.

Please let me know if further clarification is needed.

As always, thanks for your support!

Edited by otispresley

#2 is expected behavior, because it is fooling the system into thinking that the folder is for the movie.

tdiguy

If I remember you can look up the IMDb id and put that in and it will then make a correct match every time you do a library scan.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

otispresley

If I remember you can look up the IMDb id and put that in and it will then make a correct match every time you do a library scan.

Thanks for the tip, but the idea is to have it be as hands-free as possible. If it is a matter of using the IMDB or TMDB ID in the name of the file, then I am game for that as well, because I use TheMovieDB.com when naming the files anyway. The only articles I found about that just named the file as <IMDB ID>.mkv, but this is not doable for me as I also need to see the title in the file name. Can anyone confirm whether something like this would work?

The Boss (tt2702724).mkv

--OR--

The Boss (2016) [tt2702724].mkv

I will also do some testing in the meantime to see whether that helps or hurts.

Edited by otispresley

tdiguy

That is interesting but I don't really know, I don't recall seeing IMDb id in file formatting.

otispresley

Ok, so I have done some testing. Using the TMDB ID does not work at all, but these two scenarios do seem to work using the IMDB ID:

The Boss (tt2702724).mkv

----AND----

The Boss (2016) (tt2702724).mkv

Edited by otispresley
  • Like 1

otispresley

For #2, would an Emby Server configuration option be worth it under the Movie library that says something like "Treat folders as collections rather than as movie folders"?

tdiguy

That is very neat. I imagine this would be very handy if you had to re-build your movie database and had all the commonly miss-identified movies with this naming convention.

• Solution
otispresley

So, I renamed all my movie files with this format:

The Boss (2016) (tt2702724).mkv

The library scan appears to have been a success, with one exception and that movie is in IMDB but not in TMDB. This is great, because I now feel like I am getting the best possible accuracy, and it took care of both of the cases I mentioned in the first post. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: The library scan was 100% successful. That one movie just used the original title rather than the US title.

Edited by otispresley