Recorded TV playback issue

nadforever

nadforever

I have an nvidia shield when i try to play back recorded tv that is on my windows media center tv. it ussualy will not play it.  if i can get to the playback correction quickly enough then it will play the file.  but sometimes it comes back to the initial screen before I can even get to that function.  what could be causing this? and is there a way to have it always playback these files in that function?

the shield is fully updated and the emby app is fully updated..

nadforever

Ok I sent a report but it says in the instructions to Include extra info. I am not sure how to do this. The Android didn't give me an option to included more info and I don't know where to go on here to add more.

Right here :).  Tell me the name of the emby server and user and the name of what you played and the exact time you sent the report.

Thanks!

nadforever

Right here :).  Tell me the name of the emby server and user and the name of what you played and the exact time you sent the report.

Thanks!

not sure if this will be easy or hard  but 

THECHAD-MAIN

and THECHAD-MEDIA fo user

was a show I recorded on my WMC 

not sure what time wanna say around 11:30am  EST

that one will say the show was  called  ZOO  but it does this with any show that gets recored...

Okay, it is trying to direct play it in VLC to avoid a transcode and VLC thinks the item is ending.

Can you please post the server log from that same session?  Instructions are in the same topic above.

Thanks.

nadforever

thats what i did i checked on debug options tried to play that file. then went to send log..   i never told it to play from VLC.  last time I tried to make sure emby plays those files from VLC the video was all interlaced and i coudl see the lines or edges all moving objects in the video...

some reason my MiBox seems to play it ok on some days and on other days it does the sa

me thing...

You sent the app log and that was helpful, but now I would like to see the log from the server.

See the "Server Logs" section of that same topic.  

I think you probably answered my question though and the item is interlaced which is why it is using VLC (the app makes this decision automatically).  To play in the other player, we have to transcode it in order to deinterlace it.

Thanks.

nadforever

when I can get to the playback correction area and it plays great no interlacing that i can see.  how is it playing then?

oh im sorry

No need to apologize.

when I can get to the playback correction area and it plays great no interlacing that i can see.  how is it playing then?

It is transcoding it on the server.

What is happening here is something we have only seen in rare cases.  In fact, this may be the first one I recall seeing on the TV app but we have seen it in the mobile one for sure.  Something about that video fools the player into thinking it is over before it even gets going.  The problem is, we don't know what that is but these items recorded with other programs like WMC were never really intended to be played back by anything other than the program that recorded them so they may have oddities in them peculiar to that program.  The trick is figuring out what those are and if we can see them and make the app make the right decision.

In addition to the server log, if you could bring up this item in the web app and scroll down to where it says "Media Info" and paste all that information in here, it may give us a clue.

Thanks.

nadforever

To add to another thing that will help you decided unfortunately the server PC is not the same PC that does the recording that PC is in the LIvingroom cause that is where i have the cable feed.  

Media Info
AudioLanguageeng
CodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate384 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultNo
TitleEng Dolby Digital 5.1
AudioLanguagespa
CodecAC3
Layoutstereo
Channels2 ch
Bitrate192 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultNo
TitleSpa Dolby Digital stereo
VideoCodecMPEG2VIDEO
ProfileMain
Level4
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedYes
Framerate29.97003
Bitrate14256 kbps
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
SubtitleCodecCC_DEC
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalNo
TitleUnd
Containerwtv
Path\\LIVINGROOM-PC\Recorded TV\Zoo_WINK-DT_2017_07_06_22_00_00.wtv

Sorry.  I can't see anything that we can key off of to know this would happen.

Yes Luke they play in the web app fine.

Yes, because the web app cannot play wtv at all so it is transcoding it.

We're going to put some logic in place to try and trap this situation and re-try playback with the internal player.

nadforever

EBR THANK YOU!!!  question if and when i actually use emby to start doing my dvr functions. what format do you use?

There are options to keep the original format (.ts) or convert to mp4 or mkv.