Voice Control Questions

Magic815

Magic815

I just recently got an Nvidia Shield (2017) as my TV client, and got it all setup last night with Emby. I've linked it to my account just fine, but have been struggling to get any voice commands to work.

My understanding is that voice commands from the Android TV homescreen are not supported by Emby (side question: will they be sometime soon?), but I thought that they should work inside the Emby app. When I'm in Emby and hit the voice button on the remote, and say the name of a movie, it will register the spoken word, but then not do anything with it. It will just sit there with the word showing and a grey microphone until I hit back.

Assuming I just have something set up wrong, what voice controls with Emby should work? Is there a list somewhere?

Back at the homescreen, should "Launch Emby" at least work (like it does with "Launch Netflix")? So far, no matter how clearly I try to say it, the google assistant always picks up "Launch NBA" - almost like it doesn't recognize 'Emby' as an app that it has downloaded.

At the end of the day, this type of voice control is what I'm looking for:

https://youtu.be/SrL3EDY3Pyk?t=98

That video shows it possible with Kodi and Plex, but is that planned to be possible with Emby sometime soon?

Edited by Magic815

CBers

I'm running v1.4.21 of the app and voice search is still working.

I just searched for "John Wick" and it brought up the 2 movies I have and the collection they're both in, plus the airing of the first movie on one of my Live TV channels.

I've tried "Launch Emby" from the home screen and it worked fine.

Magic815

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to dig into my setup more tonight.

I just searched for "John Wick" and it brought up the 2 movies I have and the collection they're both in, plus the airing of the first movie on one of my Live TV channels.

Was that inside the Emby app? Or on the home screen?

CBers

"Launch Emby" from the home screen, but "John Wick" from inside Emby.

• 3 months later...
adam1010

This is broken on my Nvidia Shield / Android TV as well.

If I open Emby and click the search icon a white "Speak to search" bar appears and the special beep/tone sounds letting you know it's listening -- however, it does NOT type what I say into the box as it should.

Now that Google Assistant is the default search mechanism (update was pushed Oct-2017), it would be nice to also allow searching within Emby from there. If I go into my Android TV settings and click "Google" there is a "Search Within Apps" section that lets me choose which apps to search for content -- unfortunately Emby is not an option (although Plex is).  Is this feature in the works @@Luke?