Roku Live TV streaming problems 3.2.20+

bardmaster
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

bardmaster

Great will check when I get home, thanks @@ebr!

So at one point last year Comcast indicated they would start transmitting in MP4 so perhaps that started but not across all channels? I will need to figure out where to find that, I don't see it in HDHomeRun, may need to fire up my old NextPVR build.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bardmaster

Okay, I just put up 3.0.39.  Try that.

I'll also be interested to know if the behavior is changed on the other devices as well.

Unfortunately I am still experiencing the same issue, though I do notice that the channel I've been testing with (CNBC) is now transcoding.  Attached a screenshot and sent a log from Roku "Matrix."

post-206588-0-12075400-1499982707_thumb.jpg

Okay, well either it isn't the frames per second that is the problem or the TV cannot handle 48 either.

Luke - are all those errors in the ffmpeg log significant?

bardmaster

A few of the network channels are direct streaming at 60fps just fine...

A few of the network channels are direct streaming at 60fps just fine...

Even with the latest app beta...?

bardmaster

Well OK maybe not anymore with 3.0.39...and now those channels that were d/s at 60+ fps are now transcoding but not working.  The exception is NBC which used to d/s at 30+ fps and still does.

My Roku2 & 3 boxes are still working fine, but I'm assuming the d/s is much less resource-intensive so if this isn't helping perhaps we should roll the beta back? I think to pre-3.0.38?  (sheepish grin)

• Solution

We're going to try one more thing.

Give .40 a whirl on all your boxes when available.

• Like 1

bardmaster

It's working! :)

Both the RokuTV and my other Roku devices appear to be working great now.

Thank you so much, ebr!!

I think you'll find your 60fps channels no longer direct stream on your TV but at least now everything should play.

Thanks for the help in diagnosing.

• 2 months later...
bardmaster

Hi @@ebr this problem occurred again, was there a settings change?  It looks like my RokuTV is trying to Direct Play and the Retrieving bar is stuck at 100% again - see pic and I sent a log from Matrix.

Thanks for any help!

post-206588-0-73339500-1506828567_thumb.jpg

post-206588-0-06483700-1506828577_thumb.jpg

Edited by bardmaster

bardmaster

@@bardmaster, I'm sure @@ebr will want you to submit an in-app log. can you please do that? can you also provide the emby server log? thanks !

Yes sure - I had included the Roku app log previously but not the server log.  I just sent a new in-app log and attached is the server log.  This time my wife was watching CBS on a Roku 2 box, which has been running transcoded without issue for 8 hours now, but for some reason the RokuTV insists on trying to Direct Play.

For this sampling I first tried FOX HD, which is trying to Direct Play on the RokuTV at around 70 fps.  Then, making sure the RokuTV Video Quality was set to the same bitrate (8Mbps HD) as I have the Roku 2 set for, I tried streaming the same CBS HD channel.  Curiously, it shows a similar 30's fps as the transcoding Roku 2 stream, but no video or audio plays and the progress bar is stuck at 100%.

post-206588-0-71077700-1507072635_thumb.jpg

post-206588-0-43493900-1507072641_thumb.jpg

server-63642585600.zip

Hi.  There are no errors on the app end.  The app hasn't changed in quite a while.  Has it been a long time since you tried to play one of these channels?

bardmaster

A couple weeks or so.  I believe there WAS a Roku update - I am on 7.7.0 build 4142-08 as of 9/17.

The only other change I'm aware of is a server upgrade to 3.2.32

Why is the video trying to direct play again?  When you got it to work, it was transcoding - per earlier posts in this thread.  I don't see a user setting to change this, only the video quality.

In theory it should be direct playing that, so I would expect it to. The fact that it was transcoding before is most likely attributed to a server defect that has since been resolved.

Technically speaking the app supports the characteristics of the video so I would expect it to direct play, except that in your case it's not playing very well. Therefore I imagine some kind of in-app workaround will be needed in order to prevent it.

A couple weeks or so.  I believe there WAS a Roku update - I am on 7.7.0 build 4142-08 as of 9/17.

That's Roku firmware - not our app :).

A new app beta did go out yesterday though if you are on the beta.

Luke - we did put an in-app workaround in for his situation a while back and he is saying it no longer works.  I'll have to see if I can reproduce it.

• 3 weeks later...
bardmaster

That's Roku firmware - not our app :).

A new app beta did go out yesterday though if you are on the beta.

Luke - we did put an in-app workaround in for his situation a while back and he is saying it no longer works.  I'll have to see if I can reproduce it.

Hi @@ebr any luck on this front? Anything else I can do?  It seems like you were able to resolve by forcing Roku to transcode (with beta .40), that is not happening anymore on the Roku TV.

Also, as a housekeeping item, can you kindly rename this post to something like RokuTV: Live TV Streaming Issues?  Originally I wasn't aware the problem was specific to Roku TV.