Roku Live TV streaming problems 3.2.20+

bardmaster
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

bardmaster

Hi @@ebr and @@Luke, I am having several issues with live streaming, both in the web client and with Roku (both stable and beta).  This seems to have started with a server update to version 3.2.20, and not resolved by just trying stable release 3.2.22.  I suspect it has something to do with the fact everything is trying to directstream rather than transcode, based upon the logfiles being created.

Attached are the server log and the direct stream ffmpeg logs, and I also just sent logs for user "Matrix" from both a Roku2 and a TCL RokuTV.  I will try reverting to 3.2.19 (if I can find it) to see if that makes any difference.

Appreciate any suggestions or advice!

Server Log.txt

ffmpeg-directstream.txt

bardmaster

Any ideas as to why?  I am having no problems with other live TV streaming tools (Plex, XfinityStream) and things were working just fine until recently and I have not changed anything in my local network recently.

The TCL RokuTV is new, however, and it seems I have a different experience where there is no on-screen timeout displayed it just hangs indefinitely.  Just sent another logfile.  Trying to start up CNBC it actually jumps to a full progress bar very rapidly (like 3-4 seconds) but then just hangs.

bardmaster

I believe my main issue is truly the new TCL RokuTV (43S303).  Several channels, mostly network stations for some reason, load fine, but other "cable" channels like CNBC, CNN, and NBC Sports Bay Area hang indefinitely at a 100% progress bar (or at least for a half-hour in one attempt).  I don't know what kind of Roku is in the TV - whether it's comparable to a Roku Premiere or other - but my Roku2 and Roku3 both had a slight hiccup (possibly LAN related) but still load the channels fine.

Any thoughts @@ebr?  

The TV may be trying to direct play them while the other boxes would be transcoding (due to the lack of mpeg2 support).

Same firmware in all of them?

bardmaster

I can confirm that the RokuTV is direct-streaming - check out my attached screenshot for channel 703 - NBC.  In this scenario both the RokuTV and the Roku2 are playing the video fine.

HOWEVER, check out my second screenshot where both are playing channel 762 - CNBC.  Both are streaming, but only the Roku2 is playing.  CNBC APPEARS to be streaming at 60fps, but there is no video on the screen - all I see is the Retrieving bar at 100% - see my third upload which is a photo of the RokuTV.

@@speechles you seem to have knowledge of Roku architecture any thoughts on this?  I see the direct stream is hitting 60fps is it possible the TV's Roku just doesn't have the processing power to handle it?  I can't find specs on the Roku in this TV anywhere.

Here's the specs comparison:

TCL ROKU TV

Model: 5143X

TCL model: 43S303

S/W Version: 7.6.0 build 4127-08

ROKU 2

Model: 4210X

S/W Version: 7.6.0 build 4125-04

I verified both have the latest s/w update.  I am running the Emby Beta Roku channel which is on version 3.0.35 for both.

post-206588-0-09568100-1499623166_thumb.jpg

post-206588-0-29627100-1499623170_thumb.jpg

post-206588-0-05666600-1499623334_thumb.jpg

@@bardmaster, as a test, can you drop the in-app bitrate setting to 3mbps and see if it plays successfully with a full transcode? thanks.

bardmaster

@@bardmaster, as a test, can you drop the in-app bitrate setting to 3mbps and see if it plays successfully with a full transcode? thanks.

I tried that, no change.  Just sent a log for "Matrix."

Hey I thought at one point you guys throttled the fps to 30.  That seemed to help a separate issue I was running into at the time. I see the direct stream in the low 60's now.  Wondering if we could try that again in the Roku beta? :)

Hey I thought at one point you guys throttled the fps to 30.  That seemed to help a separate issue I was running into at the time. I see the direct stream in the low 60's now.  Wondering if we could try that again in the Roku beta? :)

I imagine that would fix your problem but I'm not sure 60fps is a problem for everyone.  Oh, lord, here it comes... ;)

bardmaster

Yes it would be awesome to have more control in the app. Ideally settings to force transcode and throttle fps, but only if you guys can provide separate settings options for live TV vs. everything else.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bardmaster

Just as a control test, I connected a Roku Stick to the TV and it streamed the channels without issue.  Definitely something about this Roku TV!

Help!  I love this TV and am desperate to get this resolved!  All other playback is fine except for several live TV channels.  In fact this TV is a STEAL at $200 at CostCo right now! ;)

KTVU2 (FOX) - runs fine, HDHomeRun shows 11+ Mbps, Emby is Direct Streaming at 60+ fps

DKNTV (NBC) - runs fine, HDHomeRun shows 14+ Mpbs, Emby is direct streaming at 30+ fps

CSNTV (NBC Sports) - no picture, progress bar stuck at 100%, HDHomeRun shows 14+ Mpbs, Emby is trying to direct stream at 63+ fps

CNBC - no picture, progress bar stuck at 100%, HDHomeRun shows 4+ Mbps, Emby is trying to direct stream at 62+ fps

I've sent another Roku log from user "Matrix" and attached the latest logs.

I'd love to help you guys troubleshoot what is wrong with RokuTV live TV playback, this is likely an issue others with RokuTV's will run into as well.

ffmpeg direct stream 1 Log.txt

server Log.txt

bardmaster

Update:  One of those same channels that does not work DOES work if I drop the bitrate all the way down to 1 Mpbs.  Quality is of course horrible and not tenable, but wondering if this helps with diagnosing the issue.  Emby switches to transcoding at this bitrate for some reason - see image 1 - where setting to Auto it direct streams and fails to produce a picture, per my prior posts.

Curiously, at 1.5 Mpbs Emby also transcodes but there is still no picture - also stuck at 100% "Retrieving."

post-206588-0-34780800-1499959957_thumb.jpg

The one that works is 1080(presumably 'i' but we don't seem to know)/30 the one that doesn't is 720p/60.

Is that the case across the board?

Also, the one that doesn't work has a bunch of errors attempting to analyze the stream.  This could be due to that as opposed to any of the other characteristics.  I'd like Luke to weigh in on that...

bardmaster

The one that works is 1080(presumably 'i' but we don't seem to know)/30 the one that doesn't is 720p/60.

Is that the case across the board?

Also, the one that doesn't work has a bunch of errors attempting to analyze the stream.  This could be due to that as opposed to any of the other characteristics.  I'd like Luke to weigh in on that...

Yes I've tested several "upper channels" or "cable channels" (like TLC, FOOD, E, HGTV, ESPN, TBS, TNT, USA, CNBC, CSN) and they all don't work with AUTO but do work at 1 Mbps.  All "lower channels" or "network channels" work fine on AUTO (like FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC) - these all direct stream cleanly, with some channels at 30+ fps and others at 60+ fps.

Again all this behavior is specific to the TCL RokuTV.

with some channels at 30+ fps and others at 60+ fps.

Just a note - those numbers you are looking at are transcode speeds, not framerates of the video itself.  They are very close to the video frame rates because the video is being delivered in real time.

bardmaster

Just a note - those numbers you are looking at are transcode speeds, not framerates of the video itself.  They are very close to the video frame rates because the video is being delivered in real time.

Even though they are direct streaming?  I thought d/s had no video transcoding.

Even though they are direct streaming?  I thought d/s had no video transcoding.

More correctly, it is ffmpeg's throughput or processing speed - for whatever it is doing.

Try your problem channels with version 3.0.38 when you get it.  I think it will help you.  We'll see if it causes problems for others.

bardmaster

OK I retried but no success.

However, something odd:  When I first tune to the channel, the Dashboard shows I am on version 3.0.38.  However, once the progress bar goes to 100% and I am supposedly streaming, I notice the version shows 3.0.33?  I thought I was seeing things but check out the screenshots!  Also just sent a log from Roku for "Matrix" user.

post-206588-0-39322000-1499973586_thumb.jpg

post-206588-0-73370700-1499973590_thumb.jpg

Ha.  I've been looking past it all this time but the channels that aren't working for you are actually h264, not mpeg2.

So, the change I just made is not going to affect them.  I had mpeg2 in my head because we were talking Live TV.

Okay, I just put up 3.0.39.  Try that.

I'll also be interested to know if the behavior is changed on the other devices as well.

However, something odd:  When I first tune to the channel, the Dashboard shows I am on version 3.0.38.  However, once the progress bar goes to 100% and I am supposedly streaming, I notice the version shows 3.0.33?  I thought I was seeing things but check out the screenshots!  Also just sent a log from Roku for "Matrix" user.

This is a known issue with the server and some of the apps.