CPU 100% when streaming - ubuntu server 16.04

MartinRutter

MartinRutter

Hi all,

I'm running ubuntu server 16.04.2 with emby server 3.2.20, dlna active.

LG smart TV, i select film (avi about 1.2GB) and when start playing the CPU go up to 100%.

The same with ubuntu 14.04.

I tried to play a 6GB mkv and the same problem (CPU 100%) plus the film freeze for 4/5 seconds every 1 second.

I try to downscale all setting, bitrate, quality etc... The problem remain the same.

I try to install ffmpeg from official ubuntu repo and use that instead of the one installed by emby, problem remain the same.

LAN is ok.

If i try with raspberry pi no problem even if i launch a 8GB film.

With Windows server 2003 no problem, CPU 6% in playing....

Is this a bug?

Or someone resolved the same problem and will suggest me a solution?

Thanks very much.

Hi there @martinruffer, we're very sorry to hear about this. In order for us to best help you, can you please discuss a specific example, and then attach the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks !

MartinRutter

Hi, thanks for the reply.

What about specific example... The problem is the same for every streaming in every conditions about server playing settings.

I'll provide to attach the log...

Thanks.

MartinRutter

Sorry i'll post it tonight or tomorrow...

Another question, is it normal to visualiza 10/15 emby processes in htop utility?

Normally are 2 or 3, as soon as stream starts many other processes starts...

MartinRutter

Sorry but... I'm showing now... The log report many privacy informations....

When i have time i try to obscure all and post... But...

I think you can close this thread and i'll change server type, there is no problem... sorry for your time and thank you.

Anyway i'll post if there will be update.

Last question, but am i only linux user?

Aren't there no other cases like this?

Anyone had never check cpu load when streams film?

Just to exclude bug or my fault, someone can stream and check cpu load and post....

I think is most useful first, than start to verify hundred of line in a log.... Don't you think so?

The log was the first thing i started to open... But i didn't see errors, so i think to start a comparison here... Initially without log, only to see if other had this issue...

Anyway i'll upgrade you...

Thank you very much.

mastrmind11

Sorry but... I'm showing now... The log report many privacy informations....

When i have time i try to obscure all and post... But...

I think you can close this thread and i'll change server type, there is no problem... sorry for your time and thank you.

Anyway i'll post if there will be update.

Last question, but am i only linux user?

Aren't there no other cases like this?

Anyone had never check cpu load when streams film?

Just to exclude bug or my fault, someone can stream and check cpu load and post....

I think is most useful first, than start to verify hundred of line in a log.... Don't you think so?

The log was the first thing i started to open... But i didn't see errors, so i think to start a comparison here... Initially without log, only to see if other had this issue...

Anyway i'll upgrade you...

Thank you very much.

I've seen this before.  LG has some pretty poor decoder implementation.  You mentioned DLNA so I assume that's how you're playing the files on the tv?  I recommend installing Screenplay and setting it to Direct Play in the app settings.  

MartinRutter

Thank you @Mastermind11 for the reply...

Yes, all right, but unfortunately screenplay is not available for my model.

Anyway, the problem is the same even if i try to play in other tv models or pc...

mastrmind11

Thank you @Mastermind11 for the reply...

Yes, all right, but unfortunately screenplay is not available for my model.

Anyway, the problem is the same even if i try to play in other tv models or pc...

DLNA?  Check the DLNA profiles on the admin page.  Sounds like a forced transcode when it should be direct playing.

MartinRutter

Ok..... It seems the right way.

Well, at the moment i've not yet understood very well how function this settings, but i try to add under dlna settings (on TV LG) in the tab "direct play" the container "avi" and then "all, all".

The streaming of files avi, now, no longer generate a lot of load CPU.

But i try to reply setting for mkv but without success.

Now i receive from the tv that mkv are not recognized.

Tomorrow i try to read better wiki and try to understand how these profiles works...

Fornow thanks.

MartinRutter

Documentation for profiles is poor...

Now i set AVI files in 1 TV, but there are browsers i'm not able to set, and other tv...

I'm thinking.... Isn't there a method to disable transcoding for all type of files and all devices?

Isn't more simple?

Thanks.

MartinRutter

Yes, my lg smart tv is one of last models... Plays all from usb: avi, mkv, mp3, mp4... Etc

After i added in the dlna profile the rule of direct play of avi there is no problems... But i can't make the same for mkv.

No problem..... I'll covert all in avi....

But my question is... Why there is no option to force direct play for all profiles, diapositives, type of file etc... ?

Isn't to simply?

What you would need to do is modify the LG dlna profile. I will update it to add avi for the next release of emby server. thanks.

MartinRutter

Yes ok... But the question is that i made a lan with many users... And i don't know what tv users buy... Or use...

Sure, first time i see cpu load at 100% i'll watch in log and add the new profile...

I just want to be sure that my CPU will not be destroyed because I do not notice it... Only this.

Although thank you very much!

What happens if they try to play something that the TV doesn't' support? Are you saying you want them to get an error?

MartinRutter

Rather than my cpu burns... Yes, i prefer they get an error. :)

Also because in any case the pc is not very powerful and it isn't able to stream more transcoding....

I prefer an error, so user stop view and comunicate with me.

However, I convert everything to avi xvid, I doubt there are devices that do not read them.

But i think it would be nice to have this chance, to enable/disable transcoding.

Then if someone wants to enable/disable it, consciously, it does, and knows that it can get errors.

MartinRutter

Sorry.... I don't understand one thing....

Why my lg tv plays mkv, mp4, etc... From usb directly and when plays from dlna emby request transcoding?

They need to be added to the LG DLNA profile. Last time we checked, LG did not support all of those formats.

MartinRutter

I just realized emby doesn't recognize photos in mp3... :(

I don't though so many problems... Ok... I'll try in the future...

Thank you very much for the assistence and for your work.

Do you intend it doesn't support by dlna? directly from usb it plays all.

At the time the Dlna profile was developed I think we just weren't aware of it, or it was different for older LG models.

MartinRutter

Sorry, i only try to add mpe files but only tag id are recognized, but not the photo tag...

I try to rewrite with easytag and musicbrainz... But nothing...

Kodi or minidlna visualize the photo inside mp3...

For the moment i changed dlna server using minidlna...

Kodi works fine to...

I keep emby but i leave it in test...

Thank you very much for the work and support.