3D Support

kkhan

kkhan

I am a long term Windows HTPC user but considering retiring my old hardware as it is too uneconomic to upgrade to 4K, at the moment at any rate. So looking at an Android box or an Android TV box but have no experience of using the Emby app for this platform.

Does the Emby Android TV app natively support 3D content or does it need an external player and if so which one?

As long as the outboard display you are using can understand the 3D format you are feeding it, it should work.  You may have to put the display in 3D mode manually.

Don't buy a cheap Chinese Android box.  Get a true Android TV device.  I suggest the Shield but, if you don't want to spend that much, you can try the Mii box (but you will give up DTS).

ebr dont you mean that you will give up DTS-HD, Mii box def supports DTS.

According to their documentation it does, but not in practice in our experience (and many others).  Unless, there has been a recent update I'm not aware of...

kkhan

Thanks guys.

Despite ebr's very good advice, I decided to give a cheap Android Box a try as a test and ordered something called a Berri Special Edition - a generic MBOX S906 with 1G RAM 4K HDR HEVC & CEC - from Amazon for 45 UK pounds.  I did this mainly to test the Android TV client interface ergonomics.

3D behaviour was exactly as described by ebr.

I had to force my TV a Samsung 65 H series into 3D HSBS mode and it played 3D acceptably - acceptably because the player OSD was distorted.  Strangely, if I cast a 3D movie from my emby Android Tablet client (or phone etc) to the TV; it auto detects the 3D video stream and switches to 3D mode without any OSD distortion.

Actually, I was impressed by the Berri Box as it packed quite a punch for the price but using it with a remote was not an ideal experience and it refused to pass thru an ATMOS audio stream; it will be going back to Amazon. I will be ordering the Shield instead ... so I will be following your advice, ebr.