Advice with local playback to chrome cast without internet. Alternatives?

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

My galaxy S8+ has local content synced to it via emby.

I have purchased a chromecast 2 and was hoping to cast to the chromsecast when i am holiday and there is no internet.

I have a wifi hotspot; i connect s8+ and chromecast to (but no internet)

Turns out chromecast wont work without the s8+ having an internet connection; it does some sort of check at the beginning of media playback. (after the initial check the internet can be disabled)

Does anyone have any solutions. really need to play content from phone to hdmi connection on tv.

I read now that the amazon firestick does support playback without internet...can anyone confirm.

thank you.

Jdiesel

If I understand correctly the Chromecast needs a connection to the server on a local network or an internet connection to work. When you cast something to the Chromecast all you are doing is sending the source address of the content, in this case on your Emby server, to the Chromecast to play. Since the Android app or any Emby client does not serve any connent, only receives it, you will not be able to stream from your phone to the Chromecast.

You may want to look into a USB-C to HDMI adapter like this:

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mobile-accessories/phones/usb-c-to-hdmi-adapter--black-ee-hg950dbegww/

ginjaninja

That looks perfect..have ordered one...thank you for advice...

direct connection, so much better...

Chromecast is internet hosted. Our cast receiver url has to be submitted and approved by google.

Your best bet would be the Emby app on the firestick and sending remote control commands via mobile app.

ginjaninja

thanks luke.

i wasnt using emby for casting, i was using es file explorer or localcast.

emby app does not work for me offline..i get a spinning wheel when browsing tv music or movies within downloaded media when offline....so im not sure.

i was planning to replace chromecast for firestick so will test in any case. imo the chromecast has a poor wifi receiver, coupled with 'no offline mode' makes me not like chromecast.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

ginjaninja

Results for fire tv are in and its good.

Whats Better than Chromecast

Works off the internet (major tick)

Works connecting to the hotspot of phone providing the content (major tick)

Better wifi reception (tested on 2.4ghz, 2 walls away from router / 20 meters)

Screen mirroring quality is noticably better with an S8+ in line of sight / 3 meters.

Chrome cast doesnt support direct cast from S8+ (yet), maybe when it does it could shoot up in estimations if it provided the performance at a fraction of the technical complexity. Although cant be certain that would work without an internet connection.

it gets my goat that Chromecast has no need to require internet access to provide a local cast function, but they seem to have intentionally hobbled the product

For those interested in getting Fire TV to work off internet, its still not obvious; steps are:

Connect Fire TV to internet service

Install Localcast on fire tv and phone with emby synced content

enable dlna discovery in localcast settings on phone (i think)

enable hotspot on phone (disable internet)

connect fire tv to phone hotspot and reboot fire tv

then each time you want to use

Fire tv will complain it cant reach internet.

On firetv goto settings>applications>localcast>launch

On phone launch local cast and select fire tv as destination

play media

there is one downside, AC3 tracks can not be heard, but im sure that will not be insurmountable.

emby app does not work for me offline..i get a spinning wheel when browsing tv music or movies within downloaded media when offline....so im not sure.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This is actually just a situation of us getting the content into the app a little too early. We haven't completed offline playback yet.