Ryzen - Anybody built a machine yet?

PenkethBoy

Diedrich

Are they releasing Ryzen based SoCs ?

I've been waiting for Epyc in the hopes that they will have a few low power variants.

Also announced at Computex; there is going to be a "Ryzen mobile" SoC with 4c/8t and Vega on-die but it won't be HBM2. AMD said it will perform 50% (CPU) and 40% (GPU) better than the 7th gen APUs.

Edited by Diedrich

Diedrich

Are they releasing Ryzen based SoCs ?

I've been waiting for Epyc in the hopes that they will have a few low power variants.

So far it looks like the lowest TDP is 120W with 8 cores/16 threads ($475 leaked pricing). Clearly they are going for the datacenter market first. (scroll down to model specs). Looks like the Epyc 7251 will be 23% faster than a E5-2620 v4, according to AMD.

http://www.amd.com/en/products/epyc-7000-series-1-socket-models

ASUS has a line

https://www.asus.com/event/2017/Server/AMD.html

and so does GIGABYTE

http://b2b.gigabyte.com/Rack-Server/AMD-EPYC-7000

That GIGABYTE R151-Z30 has 16 DIMM slots! Holy crap!

Edited by Diedrich

PenkethBoy

the lower power ryzen 3 is going to be the lowest power draw - epyc is a server part so not going to be that low power if at all

dcrdev

the lower power ryzen 3 is going to be the lowest power draw - epyc is a server part so not going to be that low power if at all

Gee really? I had no idea (sarcasm) .

I'm looking for a server CPU - I need ECC and will require IPMI via whatever chipset I pair with it. My excitement around the potential of a SoC, was that typically embedded solutions like that are low power draw.

This will actually be replacing a Xeon E3-1240L v3 which has a 25w TDP - Intel has a whole range of Xeon chips that are classed as "low power" and "ultra low power" ; I'm hoping with Epyc AMD does something to compete.

Diedrich

Gee really? I had no idea (sarcasm) .

I'm looking for a server CPU - I need ECC and will require IPMI via whatever chipset I pair with it. My excitement around the potential of a SoC, was that typically embedded solutions like that are low power draw.

This will actually be replacing a Xeon E3-1240L v3 which has a 25w TDP - Intel has a whole range of Xeon chips that are classed as "low power" and "ultra low power" ; I'm hoping with Epyc AMD does something to compete.

1. All Ryzen chips currently (supposedly) support ECC.

2. Your L chip is nothing more than a neutered E3-1240. You've done yourself a disservice. Depending on your hourly load, I suspect it's sitting idle 99% of the time. That means your E3-1240L is drawing the same amount of power that a full E3-1240 would be drawing at idle. It's when the chips go to high load that you are using less power - but that's what, 1% of the time? And now your top end on the L chip is performing far below the full-blown version.

dcrdev

1. All Ryzen chips currently (supposedly) support ECC.

2. Your L chip is nothing more than a neutered E3-1240. You've done yourself a disservice. Depending on your hourly load, I suspect it's sitting idle 99% of the time. That means your E3-1240L is drawing the same amount of power that a full E3-1240 would be drawing at idle. It's when the chips go to high load that you are using less power - but that's what, 1% of the time? And now your top end on the L chip is performing far below the full-blown version.

1. Yes some workstation boards support ECC with Ryzen, as you say all Ryzen CPUs do support ECC. But with the workstation boards you don't get IPMI - which is critical for me as are various enterprise features such as TPM.

2. 99% idle no - the system runs a heavily used webserver, gitlab instance, several VMs and a very large MySQL database. I have very specific requirements and I'm somewhat limited by the power supply I'm using in my chassis, which is a non standard length Flex ATX PSU; I only have 350w to play with! This is a very specific build, to fit in a very specific space - I don't believe my choice of components to be misinformed in the slightest.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Lol 25w - all the new AMD chips announced to date are well over 100w - epyc starts at 155w

hence why i mentioned the ryzen 3 - as you did not bother to qualify what you really wanted.

I am sure AMD will come along with a low power equivalent of your xeon but i would expect that to be a while as all the headline grabbing stuff is being announced first - with epyc and threadripper still to actually land - oh and the Ryzen Pro (with ecc etc support) got announced very recently.

Blueeyiz702

This is supposed to be the bootleg version of ryzen according to some guy on youtube,he is kidding rite. A $1400.00 bootleg.i believe he has bumped his head! Funny part,his is only $80.

http://ark.intel.com/products/64584/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2660-20M-Cache-2_20-GHz-8_00-GTs-Intel-QPI

this is the one he is pushing,but how is it only $80?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BX80621E52660-INTEL-XEON-E5-2660-8-CORE-2-20GHz-20M-8GT-s-95W-PROCESSOR-/131178741206

Edited by Blueeyiz702

Blueeyiz702

https://www.techspot.com/news/70151-thoughts-ryzen-threadripper-1920x-1950x-amd-enthusiast-monster.html

this ryzen cpu is a monster just like article says.

Whereas Intel is offering a 10-core/20-thread CPU at that price point, AMD is serving up a 16-core/32-thread monster. That’s 60% more cores for the same price.

That cpu is more like a fire breathing dragon inside your computer. Behemoth!

596cdb8384a7f_20170715image2.jpg

Edited by Blueeyiz702

• 2 months later...
Blueeyiz702

My current project i'm building! And now i'm broke :o  :o

59cc851f8f84a_screenshotwwwgeforcecom201

Edited by Blueeyiz702

Guest asrequested

Why use such a big video card? Or are you building a gaming rig? I'm looking at getting the 1920X. It's power hungry, but I want the horsepower. It'll be for my server, so I'll just use a cheap video card. The mobo I want is the GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7. Be careful with ASUS. They fail, often. I'll never buy another one. I've never had a gigabyte board fail.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Wow that case is worth more than my entire gaming rig lol

• Like 1

Blueeyiz702

Why use such a big video card? Or are you building a gaming rig? I'm looking at getting the 1920X. It's power hungry, but I want the horsepower. It'll be for my server, so I'll just use a cheap video card. The mobo I want is the GIGABYTE X399 AORUS Gaming 7. Be careful with ASUS. They fail, often. I'll never buy another one. I've never had a gigabyte board fail.

I have a AsusRog gaming laptop,and i'm P's off! I spent $2000.00 for it and i'm thr redheaded stepchild Geforce Gamestream.  The Gtx 670m is not supported,but the lower versions are,how backwards.Yes the beast will be for gaming only,figured if i'm going to build one i might as well put everybody else in my rearview mirror. Once i'm done,ill post Pic's, Its more Like the Godzilla of gamig,lol

Blueeyiz702

I went a little overboard,but oh well. you only game once,lol

maegibbons

Its worth more than my car!

Well one of them anyways :)

Krs

Mark