Every time I launch Emby, "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015" installer window pops up

erobertc
Go to solution Solved by softworkz,

erobertc

Hi folks,

Every time I launch Emby I get an installer window for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.23026. If I attempt to proceed with the installation, it fails saying "Another version of this product is already installed," and Emby launches normally. If I just click Close, Emby also launches normally. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version of Emby (3.2.20.0) but the problem persists. I'm on Windows 10 x64. According to Add or Remove Programs, I have Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) version 14.0.24123 installed. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-45122-0-16832100-1498896257_thumb.png

CBers

Have you tried uninstalling the version you have installed and then starting Emby?

We check the value of this registry node. Can you check yours?

HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes\x64\Version

Thanks.

erobertc

Have you tried uninstalling the version you have installed and then starting Emby?

No, I haven't. Would that be advisable if another program depends on the newer version? 

We check the value of this registry node. Can you check yours?

HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes\x64\Version

Thanks.

It seems that registry key does not exist on my system. I have HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes\x86\Version = v14.0.24215.01, but no HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes\x64 subtree.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by erobertc

Ok starting with 14.0.24 + there is a different registry key we will need to check. I will add these changes to the beta channel. It should be in the beta build by tomorrow morning if you want to try it out. thanks.

erobertc

Well, I fixed this by downgrading to version 3.2.15.0 and turning off automatic updates.

Well I think it would be better to solve it. I can tell you that database changes happened between those versions so I am not really sure how the older version is going to react to changes made by the newer version.

erobertc

Well this is how we're checking for existence:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12206314/detect-if-visual-c-redistributable-for-visual-studio-2012-is-installed

Scroll down to visual studio 2015. are you saying that's not true for you?

Yes. I do not have a registry key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Dependencies\{d992c12e-cab2-426f-bde3-fb8c53950b0d}, even though according to add/remove programs I do have Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) version 14.0.24123 installed. I do have the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Dependencies\{e2803110-78b3-4664-a479-3611a381656a} for the x86 version. 

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the redistributable and the newest release of Emby and see what that does. 

erobertc

Okay, I uninstalled the redistributable and reinstalled it from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685. The registry key starting with {d992 still does not exist on my system. I noticed I do have a registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Dependencies\{2cbcedbb-f38c-48a3-a3e1-6c6fd821a7f4} with DisplayName "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) - 14.0.24123". 

I then tried installing Emby version 3.2.24 anyway, and surprisingly did not run into the issue. I've restarted a couple of times and everything seems fine, so I guess this is resolved, although I don't know how...

• 2 months later...
inzombyac

Leaving this here in case others have the same issue.

I was getting the same behavior on a machine with newer Nvidia graphics card.  The Nvidia software updated and installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 with it.  From that point, whenever I launched Emby I got the prompt to install the the 2015 version when launching Emby Theater.  Theater launched regardless of the install state.  Whenever I attempted to complete the 2015 installer, it kept failing listing that I had a new version installed.  I had v14.10.25008.00 listed under HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\VC\Runtimes\x64\Version (Visual C++ 2017).  I checked the versions that I had in control panel and I had 2017 but no 2015 versions.  I uninstalled 2017 and restarted the machine.  I was then able to install the 2015 version and could see it in the Control panel.  I thought I was done, but then Emby wanted to install the 2013 version as well. 2013 kept failing with the error code 0x8007015e "no action was taken as a system reboot is required".  I checked Control Panel and I had 2013 there but could not uninstall it.  I had to go in the registry and remove the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Dependencies\{050d4fc8-5d48-4b8f-8972-47c82c46020f} entry and the installer entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Dependencies\.  Reboot and success finally.  I had to reinstall the Nvidia drivers to fix the GeForce experience but since then I was fine

• 5 months later...

Emby is still trying to install C++ 2015 when 2017 is installed. That is not needed :huh:

Emby Server or Emby Theater?

Emby Server will every time download C++ 2015 to temp folder. It is important to note that web interface is not available during download. It becomes available even when install of 2015 is canceled.

Emby Theater will also try to install c++ 2015.

There are certain situations in which binary compatibility is not guaranteed and at this point I don't know for sure yet if we fall into any of those categories or not.

• 5 months later...
slikvik

Hi,

I'm having this same issue. At some point I updated my nVidia drivers and now get the same message when Emby server starts. Is there a clean and simple fix to this?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
slikvik

Hi @@Luke,

Do you know when 3.6 is released? My server is suffering from a few too many reboots (including Windows 10 updates!) so would like to get Emby working on boot-up again.

Thanks

• 8 months later...
SkylerWolfe

I found this post when trying to fix this myself. Just installed emby server and it wants to try to install Visual C++ 2017 (x64) vs 14.15.26706 every time my computer boots. If I try to allow it to install, it fails. If I click close, the server loads fine and works fine. If I don't click either choice, the server doesn't load.

I note that when this thread was referring to C++ 2015 so I don't know if the references to registry keys is still valid.

My add/remove program lists shows that I have these x86 and x64 versions of C++:  2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, and 2017.

The version of 2017 that I have is 14.16.27012.6 which is newer than the one emby is trying to install.

Log file says this: [0614:3664][2019-06-11T18:17:21]e000: Error 0x80070666: Cannot install a product when a newer version is installed.

Is there a way to force emby to use the 2017 version I already have?

Advice?

Edited by SkylerWolfe

SkylerWolfe

Ok starting with 14.0.24 + there is a different registry key we will need to check. I will add these changes to the beta channel. It should be in the beta build by tomorrow morning if you want to try it out. thanks.

Would this situation apply to my post above?