Playback on Roku repeats ending

bmhanson

bmhanson

I have looked and not found anything on this so figured I would ask.  I have noticed with the Roku app that occasionally when it reaches the end of playback it replays the ending of the file.  Sometimes multiple times.  It is really not a big deal but I was curious if anyone else had seen this behavior.

It is never really a log bit of the end.  I have not timed it but maybe a few seconds up to like 10 i think. Usually just twice but occasionally it does it 3 or 4 times.  Does not always happen.  It is definitely Emby as the source file does not have this repeat.

I may start trying to keep some notes to see if there is any commonality when it happens, but if it is a known issue then I won't be as worried about it.

Farfignugget

I've had this repeat the last part of a show 5 times, progressively getting less of the end. I believe the devs have stated its something to do with the roku player so it's out of their control.

bmhanson

Thanks.  I was mostly curious if it was me or not.  Can be annoying sometimes.  Sometimes funny.  Just was a little odd.

Its not "out of their control".

The repeat happens when "stream copy" aka directstream occurs on an h264 video stream. The audio is coverted only. The issue is when transcoding emby expects 3 second keyframe intervals when using hls manifests. Some (read as most) video stream keyframes are slightly off, such as 3.001, 3.004, 3.025, etc. The more off they are the more pronounced the issue becomes. As you watch more, the hls runtime expands past the actual runtime. 3.025 x 100 = 302.5, whereas 3.00 x 100 = 300. This would generate a repeat of 2.5 seconds in the hls manifest. This will wrap, since we are beyond the runtime, and your repeat playback will be a portion of what is currently in the video buffer.

There is a way to alleviate this, but involves disabling stream copy aka directstream. The blue neon roku app has a "force transcoding w/o directstream" that solves this. This will produce a full transcode which hits your cpu much harder since the entire video stream is reencoded with aligned keyframes. Since most users wish to avoid full transcodes of the video stream, and copy whenever possible, a full transcode wont happen unless you force it. The only way to force a full transcode in the official app is to drop the bitrate below the video stream bitrate. This will affect quality, but will alleviate the "repeat issue".

Does this answer your question?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

SmplyUnprdctble

The "interesting" thing about this is I've experienced it [in practically everything] on my Roku Stick, but never my Roku TV.  I'd guess the TV can handle something the Stick cannot.

I wonder if the excellent explanation @@speechles provided suggests there's a way to encode media (during my rip process) to avoid this?

@SmplyUnptdctble

The rokuTV has built-in support for dolby (ac3). The rokuTV can also process 6 channel AAC into dolby 5.1 on the fly on the TV itself. This is the same as the roku ultra can do. The rokuTV also has direct play support for mpeg1/2. All Televisions pay for these codecs to support over the air digital signals with their tuners. This makes the rokuTV the best roku device.

As far as encoding your media to avoid this, it is quite simple. For audio stream #1 it can be any 6 channel (surround) audio in ac3. Then add a second audio stream of 2 channel (stereo) aac. Your rokuTV will choose the surround dolby ac3 track to direct play, your roku stick will choose the stereo aac.

The best surround support on roku is dolby ac3. DTS cannot be stream copied in hls when transcoding which makes it not stream friendly. While you can use 6 channel (5.1) aac too, this would only direct play on a rokuTV or roku ultra. So it also is not stream friendly for your roku stick. The best choice to work on all is dolby ac3.

The issue arises when the audio is converted and the video stream is copied. So if you can get the roku to direct play the audio, the issue goes away, the video stream is already compatible. This is why I suggest for all items with surround sound, they also have a stereo aac track. This allows you to get your cake and you can always eat it too, regardless of where you eat it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Can you please see if this is improved on the latest beta (3.0.33)?

Thanks.

• Like 1

SmplyUnprdctble

@SmplyUnptdctble

The rokuTV has built-in support for dolby (ac3). The rokuTV can also process 6 channel AAC into dolby 5.1 on the fly on the TV itself. This is the same as the roku ultra can do. The rokuTV also has direct play support for mpeg1/2. All Televisions pay for these codecs to support over the air digital signals with their tuners. This makes the rokuTV the best roku device.

As far as encoding your media to avoid this, it is quite simple. For audio stream #1 it can be any 6 channel (surround) audio in ac3. Then add a second audio stream of 2 channel (stereo) aac. Your rokuTV will choose the surround dolby ac3 track to direct play, your roku stick will choose the stereo aac.

The best surround support on roku is dolby ac3. DTS cannot be stream copied in hls when transcoding which makes it not stream friendly. While you can use 6 channel (5.1) aac too, this would only direct play on a rokuTV or roku ultra. So it also is not stream friendly for your roku stick. The best choice to work on all is dolby ac3.

Ok, I think I'll just live with it and buy a RokuTV for my living room when I'm ready to upgrade :D

I've been compressing the video with Handbrake and remuxing the original audio track(s) [sometimes an audio track is a commentary track].  This sounds like too much work to try to figure out which is the best way to script automate :D

bmhanson

I will let you kbow if and when it happens again.

Edited by bmhanson

SmplyUnprdctble

Thanks.

While I'm not the OP, I can say I've watched a few TV shows and movies with 3.0.33 and have not experienced the dreaded "end of show repeat".  This is including things I have become accustomed to having the repeat with.

While I'm not the OP, I can say I've watched a few TV shows and movies with 3.0.33 and have not experienced the dreaded "end of show repeat".  This is including things I have become accustomed to having the repeat with.

Thanks for reporting in.