Anyone have success using Emby on a Sony Android TV?

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I tried using the Emby Android TV app on a 2016 Sony TV with the X1 processor and it struggled with playback on almost every file i tried. The audio was out of sync and your could hear audio glitches every so often. Also there was frequent pauses and skips that didn't appear to be buffer related. I switched over to Kodi and playback was perfect. Anyone else have luck with a Sony Android TV?

chef

My mom and dad have an android Sony tv. I went on to the Google App Store and downloaded the emby app, which puts it on their tv.

Works like a charm.

Jdiesel

I have no problem getting it to run, just some playback quirks that are leading me to believe it maybe underpowered. I will try using a hardwired network connection to see if there is any change and submit some in-app logs.

PenkethBoy

My Sony 2015 4k Tv works fine with the latest ATV app

TV is on Android 6.0.1 - recent update

TV spec

5953e78f5eba2_Capture.jpg

Martum

I'm using Emby on my Sony XD9305 which also has an X1 and most content is working without problems.

I've had problems with DTS in the beginning but the developers fixed it so it gets transcoded to DD

Recently I've had one movie that did not play well on my Android TV so I switched to my Linux HTPC to watch it. Somehow Emby doesn't like the Dolby+ line while the TrueHD line in the same movie was working without any problems.

Other than that I've had no problems anymore.

• Like 1

chef

I have no problem getting it to run, just some playback quirks that are leading me to believe it maybe underpowered. I will try using a hardwired network connection to see if there is any change and submit some in-app logs.

I hard wired their tv when I installed it. So yeah that might be a thing for sure.

carlbme

I purchased the Sony XBR55X700D recently. Upgraded the TV (put Android TV to 7.0) and then downloaded EmbyTV. It works for the most part. Running hardwired, there are some movies that have audio sync issues. But other than that, it works great. Much faster browsing than my old Roku 2 XS that recently died.

Edited by carlbme

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running Emby on my Android 2015 Sony TV (X85C series) without any issue for many months. This TV is still running Android 6.0.1.

Last week, my parents purchased a new 2017 Sony TV (XE90 series), so I tested Emby on it. I was really disappointed about the movie playback smoothness which is far not as good as my TV. Off course, I tested with the exact same settings (Emby and Picture profile) as my setup. BTW, this TV is running Android 7.0.

It looks like Sony motion flow capabilities are not working with Emby on this TV, so judder is present on 24p movies. According to Rtings.com, both TV are “judder-free 24p via 60p”. I guess this is a very important feature for movie playback in Android apps that are always run in 60Hz refresh rate.

Switching on the “Refresh Rate auto adjustment” option in Emby helps a little, but it’s still not perfect. As this option has no effect on my 2015 TV (Android 6.0.1), I think the behavior might be related to Android 7.0.

Has anyone noticed judder issue on Emby with an Android 7.0 Sony TV ?

Any help is welcome.

Edit: I've found a known issue with XE90 TV and non-fullscreen content, motionflow is not working properly: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/motionflow-issue/td-p/2352056/page/2

Edited by nague