FR: Android - LAN/WAN configuration/settings

Vidman

Vidman

Could I suggest a feature for semi automatic switching for LAN WAN server access

I like the way the android app transdroid works in that for each server connection setting you can specify a WAN connection address and port and LAN connection address and port...then you also specify your home WiFi ssid then when the app loads it will use the LAN settings if connected to your home network otherwise it uses the WAN settings

And instead of just LAN/WiFi bitrate setting we have a LAN setting for when connected to your specified home WiFi SSID and the WAN bitrate when connecting remotely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm OK can I get a moderator to move this thread? Or should I just start another

Topic moved to FR forum (topic changed to correct subject as well).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
ginjaninja

Application awareness of ssid/this level of network stack might be too client specific. The server would know wether it is being addressed from lan / wan based on source ip of client. Even if a remote network had the same subnet, eg 192.168.1.0/24, to the server the client would be on a foreign network (assuming you hadnt established a tunnel). Thus if the server had a definitio n for local subnets and the api supported a query function, the client could determine via a server response wether it had local connectivity or not.

ginjaninja

How would the client know how to initially connect to the server tho

There may be more robust ways but I personally address my mb3 service using its public dns name wether I am internal or not. This may be a happy coincidence on how my router deals with internal hosts addressing internal hosts using its public ip. You could try yourself.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Vidman

Your router needs to have a feature called hairpin I have had a few routers in my time and none of them have had this feature...I have always had to define a separate wan and LAN setting in mobile apps....with the exception of transdroid which I mentioned has a workaround which works perfect for me ... and as mentioned allows a simple way to specify streaming bitrate depending on being on a LAN or wan connection to the server

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
moviefan

I have had issues similar to this (not episode order but adjusting small details in metadata locally not being recognized).

Too lazy to try and troubleshoot the method I used for resolution was moving the media outside of MB shares.  Scanning to completely remove it.  Then moving the media back in and scanning again so it starts anew and just pulls in the fresh data.

• 1 month later...
overClocked!

I like the way the android app transdroid works in that for each server connection setting you can specify a WAN connection address and port and LAN connection address and port...then you also specify your home WiFi ssid then when the app loads it will use the LAN settings if connected to your home network otherwise it uses the WAN settings

The Ceton My Media Center iOS / Andriod / Windows Phone app works in a similar fashion. Each server connection is defined by both an internal IP and port and an alternative external IP and port. That way, no matter where you are, it establishes a connection to your server without having to manually select one separately for a list. This is useful for my wife and kid who have no idea how to make those changes when not at home.

So I would like to see this implemented in the IOS Clients, especially the iPad client when it is finally released and updated. But really, all mobile app clients could benefit from this feature. It would simplify things greatly.