Kodi 64 bit

Noel Grassy
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

Noel Grassy

I was just wondering if the new 64bit version of kodi was working for anyone. I'd assume not since i get the message "Cancelling the database syncing process. The current kodi version is unsupported.". Anyway, here is my log. Thanks in advance.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/24956687/

Emby Tower

The 64 bit version is Kodi 18 in a pre alpha phase and actually not supported by the Emby developer!

• Like 1

James

FWIW embycon seems to be working fine on kodi 18 but being alpha skins were very limited

Edited by James
  • Like 1

• Solution
Angelblue05

Yes, because it's using the plugin approach. :) embycon should always work, regardless of the Kodi version.

Emby for Kodi, atm does not support kodi 18 (not really) but it will be officially supported once Kodi is officially out of alpha/early beta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

There is some support in the beta version of the addon, but if you are using stable it doesn't include those changes. There is no guarantee it will work, and I won't be chasing updates until Kodi 18 is officially released.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

LongMan

As stated above there is basic support but expect no support with any problems. Mine syncs fine.It should work if you download the zip from the GitHub link.

• Like 1

fantasticn

Hi guys,

I know I cannot expect any kind of support for the emby-plugin under Kodi 18 (Leia) at the moment. However, maybe somebody is willing to help me or at least my problem may help with any kind of further development for the Kodi 18 version of the emby-plugin:

The plugin is syncing just fine with the video library (movies, tv-shows, and music-videos), but not with the music library. I have been trying quiet a while, also with the latest release that includes some patch from sualfred. I have tried with a clean install of the addon, a total deletion of the kodi libraries and almost everything I can think of. But on all my 4 media players (1x LibreElec-PC, 3x Shield TV Box) and even under kodi on the Windows-Server itself emby-plugin crashes when starting to sync the music library with emby-server,  Attached please find my log-file.

Any help would be appreciated (though - as I said - I know I may not expect any official support) 

Thanx in advance!

kodi.log

Angelblue05

@@fantasticn

Ok, it looks like an update in Kodi 18, but the add-on is hitting an error that strArtist column does not exist in the Kodi music database. So there's nothing to be done for now. Just disable music in the add-on, this will allow the sync to complete. Otherwise, use Krypton until Leia is officially released. Or even using Embycon if you want which uses a different approach to accessing your content in Kodi. :)

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

fantasticn

@@Angelblue05

thanks for looking into it. I also realized the error referring to the missing "strArtist column" in the log-file. That's been in the log on all my machines since I upgraded them to Leia. But I need Leia for using the modded Estuary skin which is only available for Leia. So it seems I will have to wait for you guys to come up with a patch, which will not happen before Leia has some official status. EmbyCon unfurtunately does not act like a local library. But I will try once more as a workaround until a patch for the sync-addon comes out.

xnappo

And you need the modded Estuary because???...  Trust me, after doing this crap for 18 years, you need to stop chasing the latest alpha versions of software.  Get a setup with released code, and watch some videos!

• Like 2

fantasticn

Well, I like Estuary, but I need to adjust the main menu via skin.helper. Also I want clearart and logos to be shown (since I have them in my library for all movies and tv-shows and even for music artists). THere was a version of the Estuary MOD for Kodi 17 (Krypton). But it is not supported anymore.

As to alpha-versions I in principle share your opinion. However, as to Kodi it is somehow different: Kodi 17 has already reached final status for quiet a while. We currently have version 17.3 out and we have been able to download and test Kodi 18 (Leia) also for many month now. So I would consider Kodi 18 (Leia) already being more kind of a "beta" then still an early alpha. Anyway, Kodi 18 (Leia) for me already is quiet stable and I cannot report any bugs that I would have come across so far - especially no crashes. The only thing that does not work well for me is the emby-plugin. Since the latest version it at least seems to support the vide library. But I still have the aforementioned problems with the music library.

Also I wonder why - as to emby and other plugins or skins - we do not see much more parallel development, so when Kodi is reaching its beta or final stage we can also have those plugins being ready for it as well. I know that it is more comfortable for developers to wait until you can be sure that the plattform itself is not subject to changes anymore. But that means that when such addon or skin reaches it final stage the plattform will almost be at the stage replacement again. And - to be honest - you never can be sure if any kind of so-called "final version" will sooner or later get another update or bugfix that may affect your addon. Hence, you will always have to adjust those addons when the plattform itself (Kodi) requires such changes for the addon still to be running - call it final, call beta, call it alpha. Fortunately those changes are not happening all too often. Especially as to Kodi 18 (Leia) in its already mature stage I cannot really see why developers are not already starting with adjustments. But - of course - it is up to them. So they will again be behind schedule once Leia is in beta or even final stage.

fantasticn

Well, this was more a general remark. There is currently a lot development going on - especially with respect to skins - that is only focussing on Kodi 17. Such developments usually take month to reach their respective "final status". So once this status has been achieved Kodi 17 itself is about to retire and people are already starting to head over to Kodi 18. And especially as to skins there mostly is a lot of adjustment work to do and lots of skins never get an update to support the new Kodi version. If they would start their development with a more "future-oriented" view we could have final addons and skins ready when Kodi itself reaches its final stage and thereby benefit from such addons and skins much longer. Also it would reduce the dilemme you can find yourself in when a new Kodi Version comes out (beta, rc or even final) but those addons and skins are still only availble for the old Version because those developers will just begin their adjustment work. If I was about to develop a new addon or skin just now I would already focus on on Kodi 18 and not on Kodi 17 anymore for I would not like to do it all over again in a few month from now. I thought this is one of the reasons why Kodi 18 is already available as an "alpha" version. And I also do not understand why people who are willing to already move on and try out such new version do always get the blame for that.

As to the emby-addon the necessary adjustment work might indeed affect only minor issues and therefore possibly does not include a lot of workload or long development processes. So you might be right when you say its fine to wait with such adjustments until Kodi 18 has reached at least beta or rc status. However, if it can be done this quickly it is even more frustrating that the emby team is not willing to do such steps i little bit more frequently and thereby also support new Kodi versions in an earlier stage. Also possible issues could be ruled out much earlier and all users would benefit from that once Kodi 18 (and the respective emby-addon) reach their rc or final stage.

However, I do not want to sound demanding. I absolutely accept that the Emby Team does not want to support Kodi 18 in its current stage. So all I can do is sit and wait for the right time to come since I will definitly not downgrade to Kodi 17 anymore for several reasons (like losing other benefits that I have already become accustomed to with Kodi 18).

Also I want to thank the Emby team for what they are offering to us. You are doing a great job and I very much appreciate the hard work you put into the development - whenever or how ever you do it.

Angelblue05

Your mistake is assuming the Emby team is in charge of the project.

Thanks for your kind words, this is an open source project, made by a couple of Emby users. No one is being paid for working on Emby for Kodi, I do it out of my free time. This is why I have no interest chasing the bleeding edge updates. This addon has been through many Kodi versions. Nothing is stopping you from doing a pull request if you want to get your hands dirty and fix the compatibility issue with the database right away. :)

Code: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1