Live TV controls

ipmb

Hello,

I am on the move from Plex to Emby on my Android TV devices. Also for the Live TV part, I move from Live Channels to Emby.

And here I have on small feature request for better handling/controlling.

On the D-Pad the Button "OK" and "DOWN" have the same functions in Live TV mode.

My suggestion.

Use the "DOWN" button in Live TV mode for the small EPG guide (live picture, description & EPG guide).

We are using the EPG guide very often, but pressing OK -> RIGHT -> RIGHT -> RIGHT -> RIGHT -> OK to open the EPG guide needs to much button presses.

Keep up the good work.

hi @@ipmb, i agree that is a lot of button clicks. we are discussing possible improvements internally. thanks for the feedback !

BAlGaInTl

hi @@ipmb, i agree that is a lot of button clicks. we are discussing possible improvements internally. thanks for the feedback !

Hey @@Luke

I actually found this in a search looking for a shortcut to launch the guide in Emby on my Shield TV.

If you are using CEC, wouldn't it be possible to grab the guide command from the TV remote or however that works?

Are there any other commands that activate the guide?

In the latest beta (1.4.19) the button for the guide has been moved closer to the front as well as the "down" arrow being a shortcut to produce it immediately.

Spaceboy

What is the left pointing arrow in the OSD supposed to do? It doesn't seem to have any function for me

Spaceboy

I'm also not sure I'm a fan of down bringing up the guide. At least until I've retrained myself

What is the left pointing arrow in the OSD supposed to do? It doesn't seem to have any function for me

If you mean the one that looks like this:

I'm also not sure I'm a fan of down bringing up the guide. At least until I've retrained myself

I'm not sure I am either so it may go away before release.

If you have a remote you can generate a 'menu' or 'Y' game controller press with, that already brings up the guide.

Spaceboy

If you mean the one that looks like this: < then that will jump to your previously tuned channel.  Been there for ages...

agree its been there for ages, i was trying it last night and it didn't seem to do anything, using Media Portal as the back end. now armed with the knowledge of what its supposed to do i'll test again. although right now i can tell you this is another button i wouldn't use

Spaceboy

I'm not sure I am either so it may go away before release.

If you have a remote you can generate a 'menu' or 'Y' game controller press with, that already brings up the guide.

ok i'll have to look at the additional controls...

if you're going to keep it i'm not sure you need up to bring up the channel list and down to bring up the guide. i have been using up to bring up the list where i wanted to change channels, but that maybe because it was less button presses rather than i preferred the functionality of one over the other.

i know you're not going to like this but my suggestion would be up arrow should either bring up the channel list or the mini guide, i'm not sure you need both. but an option could be inserted in live tv settings to allow the either or choice

honestly i wouldnt lose any sleep either way though, i'd just retrain.

although right now i can tell you this is another button i wouldn't use

I don't either - unless I'm watching two football games simultaneously and then it becomes quite useful...

• 1 month later...
pir8radio

I just started playing with the android TV version of emby.. Is there a list of remote commands that emby will accept?

gat0rjay

I just started playing with the android TV version of emby.. Is there a list of remote commands that emby will accept?

Seconded.

It is very contextual but pretty much the basics you find on the most complex remote available which would be the Fire TV.

The goal is to just be intuitive and not need to maintain lists of commands.

pir8radio

It is very contextual but pretty much the basics you find on the most complex remote available which would be the Fire TV.

The goal is to just be intuitive and not need to maintain lists of commands.

What I was looking for is a way to map my buttons to emby functions. Like the following buttons: guide, record, info, play, pause, stop which do not work at the moment play/pause seem to be a single 'ok' button the android menu button seems to bring up guide. Other features require you to move around the pop up overlay at the bottom. I have actual buttons for these combined functions I would like to map, to better duplicate my 'cable box' operation, and not have to D-Pad everything. Might be another issue where clients don't react the same. ET for example. What I would love to do is find a small device like an android TV that can replace all my cable boxes but so far Emby Theater is the only client that seems to meet all of my needs but I don't want to strap a PC to the back of all my TVs. Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

BAlGaInTl

What I was looking for is a way to map my buttons to emby functions. Like the following buttons: guide, record, info, play, pause, stop which do not work at the moment play/pause seem to be a single 'ok' button the android menu button seems to bring up guide. Other features require you to move around the pop up overlay at the bottom. I have actual buttons for these combined functions I would like to map, to better duplicate my 'cable box' operation, and not have to D-Pad everything. Might be another issue where clients don't react the same. ET for example. What I would love to do is find a small device like an android TV that can replace all my cable boxes but so far Emby Theater is the only client that seems to meet all of my needs but I don't want to strap a PC to the back of all my TVs.

As these mature, I would like to do similar using my Harmony remote. 

Right now, I'm happy to "D-Pad everything" as @@pir8radio says.  But certainly can see this improving/maturing.  Somebody's going to have to make a list.... even if it's community maintained here in the forum. 

guide, record, info and stop do not exist on any Android TV device.  Play and pause are a single button so that is how the app will respond to them (as a toggle for play or pause).

Basically, you have the d-pad, menu, FF/Rew, Skip Fwd and back and page and channel up/down (also treated as page) in the guide.

BAlGaInTl

guide, record, info and stop do not exist on any Android TV device.  Play and pause are a single button so that is how the app will respond to them (as a toggle for play or pause).

Basically, you have the d-pad, menu, FF/Rew, Skip Fwd and back and page and channel up/down (also treated as page) in the guide.

I will test something tonight when I get home... But I'm 99% sure that I've gotten "stop" to work with my Android TV.  As a matter of a fact, it's part of my activity for when I power off my TV.  I had to use stop first so that Emby wouldn't keep the tuner active after the fact.  I get that they aren't part of the remote, but somehow, Android TV understands the command.

I will test something tonight when I get home... But I'm 99% sure that I've gotten "stop" to work with my Android TV.  As a matter of a fact, it's part of my activity for when I power off my TV.  I had to use stop first so that Emby wouldn't keep the tuner active after the fact.  I get that they aren't part of the remote, but somehow, Android TV understands the command.

Yes, the app does catch that key also during playback.  It mimics hitting the "back" button which is how you would normally stop playback.

BAlGaInTl

Yes, the app does catch that key also during playback. It mimics hitting the "back" button which is how you would normally stop playback.

Ahh...

That makes sense.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk