When are Downloaded Items Removed?

Dizzy49

Dizzy49

I selected an entire season to be downloaded to my device.  It happily filled my entire device and stopped.  I ended up watching a bunch of them on my laptop and I have gone onto my device and selected the Downloaded link and selected the option to remove it.  However, it did not free up space on my device.

What needs to be done to actually remove the items to free up the space for other items?

I know that a while back it was not possible to save to a SD card.  Is this still the case?

Dizzy49

Some additional poking around, and I found the Downloaded link at the top.

I went in and scrolled down and see all the items there.  They ones that were previously downloaded that I selected to remove have an ( i ) and say 'Cancelled'.  I selected the ( i ) and again selected the Remove option, and now they have a ( - ) and say 'Queued'.

Additionally, an item that had not previously downloaded that I attempted to remove by going to the Show/Season/Episode and selecting the 'Downloading' link, still downloaded...

Not entirely sure what's going on and how to actually remove the items from my device.

@@Dizzy49, the files are removed during the next background sync with the server. Incidentally when you remove the download, the confirmation dialog box tells you about this. Did you read the dialog?

Dizzy49

@@Dizzy49, the files are removed during the next background sync with the server. Incidentally when you remove the download, the confirmation dialog box tells you about this. Did you read the dialog?

No, the confirmation dialog did not mention that.  When I an viewing the video and click the 'Downloaded Link' I get the following screen.  When I click on 'Remove Download' it goes back to the video screen and it then says 'Download' instead of 'Downloaded'.

595203afa59ba_Screenshot_20170627005801.

@@Dizzy49, so what was the issue after you clicked Remove Download? The text changed to Download which sounds correct, right?

Dizzy49

@@Dizzy49, so what was the issue after you clicked Remove Download? The text changed to Download which sounds correct, right?

Yes, but it was not actually removed from the device, and when I ran the sync again it didn't do anything since the memory was full.

Based on my observations, it didn't remove the files until the upload was "complete".  I ended up removing a bunch of apps and data to make room, and cancelled many of the videos.  It uploaded the one remaining video, THEN it removed all of the videos I marked to remove.

IMO, having to wait until it syncs to remove the videos is a bad user experience.  When I click REMOVE, I expect it to be REMOVED, not queued for removal at some unknown point.  If the device is full, I may need to clear room to install an app or something, and I need that space reclaimed immediately.

At the moment the issue is made worse by the fact that the downloaded items don't play anyway.  So they need to be removed before they will even play off the server while on the home network.  So I had to remove, then manually sync, THEN I could play the video I wanted.

Edited by Dizzy49