Video3DFormat

Luke

This is a new api property that will be replacing VideoFormat, although I will leave VideoFormat in place for a build or two so that nothing breaks.

Here are the possible values of Video3DFormat:

HalfSideBySide,

FullSideBySide,

FullTopAndBottom,

HalfTopAndBottom

This will be null if it's not 3D. Here are descriptions for each:

FSBS (full side-by-side, ex. 3840x1080 where the left and right parts of the original video frame are two full, individual frames)

HSBS (half side-by-side, ex. 1920x1080 where the left and right parts of the original video frame are two half-width, individual frames)

FTAB (full top-and-bottom, ex. 1920x2160 where the top and bottom parts of the original video frame are two full, individual frames)

HTAB (half top-and-bottom, ex. 1920x1080 where the top and bottom parts of the original video frame are two half-height individual frames)

The [3d] and [sbs3d] tags will remain, although we will have to assume HSBS since that is the most common. Tags will be added for [fsbs], [hsbs], [ftab] and [htab]

Why change the property name? VideoFormat is still descriptive and allows us to handle future formats we don't know of in the same property (like 4k).

Well mainly to not break consumers and give them a way to transition safely. Is 4k a format or just a resolution? Plus something could be both 3d and 4k.

I imagine 4k will be new format but who knows.

Why not keep the VideoFormat property then with just Standard and 3D for now? That is all we really care about from the external player standpoint in MBC. That way we can also adjust to future formats if there are any.

Tikuf

Luke I think if we apply the same crop etc to the actual video we could stream 3d in a 2d format to other devices (I cant tell if each of the pictures is a full image or not but it would be worth someone with 3d files to check it out

Why not keep the VideoFormat property then with just Standard and 3D for now? That is all we really care about from the external player standpoint in MBC. That way we can also adjust to future formats if there are any.

Well a couple reasons. We need the more specific info so that we can add additional params for ffmpeg when extracting images, and potentially streaming video too. Also Pete from mcm drew up these four values and is adding them to his metadata. So if we can support that then we can have an alternative to using the file name tag. You're right external players only care about is 3d vs not 3d, but the data i added needs to come through the api if it's going to be part of the edit page.

Well a couple reasons. We need the more specific info so that we can add additional params for ffmpeg when extracting images, and potentially streaming video too. Also Pete from mcm drew up these four values and is adding them to his metadata. So if we can support that then we can have an alternative to using the file name tag. You're right external players only care about is 3d vs not 3d, but the data i added needs to come through the api if it's going to be part of the edit page.

I'm saying have both values. One is the format. The other is the 3d format...

To clarify - keeping them both would limit the impact to existing clients and allow clients that only care about whether it is 3D or standard or (some unknown future format) to have an easy way to know that.

If you really need this i can add it as an interpreted property on the dto, but passing it through the api would be redundant. I'm not sure how it would work with a future format in the event a video could be both 3d as well as the new format. I suppose we could use flags with the enum to accomodate that, but that would serialize to a number which wouldn't be friendly for non-.net clients.

It just seemed logical and useful to me.

I can interpret on the MBC end as well as the API could if you really don't want to keep the generic format property. It just means I'll have to coordinate the change with the appropriate release.

schneifu

Will this also handle non-sbs 3D? For instance I use MakeMKV to create full 3D mkv files that are not sbs at all.

schneifu
It includes two non SBS formats

Are you refering to the two top and bottom formats? If so the format I am talking about is called frame interpolation or something like it. It is basically what is natively used on a 3d bluray. I believe an mkv with this format shows up in bdinfo as MVC instead of AVC.

Pete Souza from mcm is the one who came up with the list of formats. He seems to know a little about this. I reached out to him for comment. Tikuf, what do you think?

The full res format is frame-packing. I believe it is the only one that supports true 1080p resolution.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my act together and connected here at the forums.

schneifu: I wasn't aware anyone regularly did that and haven't encountered them in the wild. Can you toss a sample (~3 minutes of anything) at me somewhere I can download and review?

CBers

Welcome Pete :D

schneifu

schneifu: I wasn't aware anyone regularly did that and haven't encountered them in the wild. Can you toss a sample (~3 minutes of anything) at me somewhere I can download and review?

I will upload tonight. I was on vacation last week so I just saw your post today.