Played/watched tag and new content

Schroinx
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Schroinx

Currently my movie collection is divided into two groups, new (unseen/unplayed/watched) movies and old movies (the opposite) and remains in separate folders, so I can easily find the new content/movies. But then I have to go the server and manually move the movie to the old content folder, after I have watched a movie.

I can see there is this watched/played tag, but I cannot find a good explanation of how it works, when creating a collection or when adding new content.

Is the played tag linked to the user profile and is it stored with each movie in the metadata for the particular movie: e.g. watched by users 1,2 and 5?

What is a good way to handle this?

Edited by Schroinx

Schroinx

Yes, that I understand. But how do I go about it, when creating/importing the movie collection? All movies into one folder, and then what? Go through all manually and tag them? Or create the collection with the folder with old movies, and after creating it in MB, I add the new movies? Or do I have to tag the old ones as watched, and then add the new ones?

Since they are separated right now, start by adding a media folder that just contains the location for your watched movies.  Let those come in and then use one of the interfaces to mark them all watched.  With MBC, you could do this with one click at the media folder level.  I'm not sure about the other clients.  Do this for each user profile that should consider these items watched.

Next, add your unwatched media location to the media folder and let the server see all of those.  They will come in automatically as unwatched.

You're done.

In the future, don't worry about physically moving them around.  The system will keep track of who watches what.

Thx, I'll try that.

But that means that if the database goes awry, the watched tag also goes?

Yes, because there isn't just one "watched" status.  We track it for all user profiles.

swhitmore

You can also backup your watched status by using the Trakt plugin and keeping it synced with the Trakt website.

Edited by swhitmore

Schroinx

So I should make a guest account, so not to be disturbed by visitors?

I can't find where in MBC I can change the Watched tag for an entire folder. How do you do that?

Schroinx

Thx, I'll try that.

But that means that if the database goes awry, the watched tag also goes?

Edited by Schroinx

• Solution

I can't find where in MBC I can change the Watched tag for an entire folder. How do you do that?

There are a number of ways to do it.  While on any folder or even a main item on the EHS...

1) hit the * button on your remote and select "Mark Watched"

2) hit the 'clr' button on your remote

3) press ctl-w on a keyboard

4) press shift-8 on a keyboard and select "Mark Watched"

• Like 1

no, it's in our database. we can show you these kinds of views on the fly so i personally would not do that knid of manual moving around.

Schroinx

You can also backup your watched status by using the Trakt plugin and keeping it synced with the Trakt website.

So if I install this plugin, can I then recreate the watched status of the entire collection, if the MB3 server database is no longer, and I recreate the MB3 server?