What brand of hard drive do you have?

LiquidFX

Which brand of hard drive do you have?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of hard drive do you have?

LiquidFX

I have a Samsung SSD for booting purpose in both setups, and 2 Segate 3TB for storage in the HTPC. One of the Segate drives is very slow and drops off and has to be re scanned to pick it back up, working to get it replaced through the warranty.

AdrianW

My NAS has 8 2TB Samsung F4's - damn good drives, it's a shame they sold their HD division to Seagate.

My main PC also has a Samsung F4 plus a 1TB F3 plus a Crucial M4 SSD.

My aging HTPC has 3 WD drives plus a Samsung SSD.

I would continue to use Samsung HD's if I could. But, going forward I'll be using WD. I'm never going to buy Seagate again - the only drive I've ever had die on me was a Seagate.

wraslor

I've got a mix of all kinds of drives.  I can say I'm most happy with my old samsung and WD drives.  I've had the most bad luck with Seagates.  I may have had a wd or two die on me over the years but I've had a ton of Seagates crap out on me, several times right out of the box they died within a few days!  Not a fan if I can avoid them.

shaefurr

WD past 15 years, had a few other brands that died on me, wont ever use any other brand besides WD again. Except for SSDs anyway.

I've got a Samsung SSD and a bunch of 2TB Samsung drives that I'm slowly replacing with 3TB and 4TB WD drives. Can't fault the performance of WD Red drives.

AdrianW

Can't fault the performance of WD Red drives.

I was considering Red drives for my next NAS - but for some strange reason they're only recommended for NAS's with up to 5 bays.

I was considering Red drives for my next NAS - but for some strange reason they're only recommended for NAS's with up to 5 bays

I've been wondering this myself as I've been considering getting this - http://www.mwave.com.au/product/synology-diskstation-ds1813-series-8bay-nas-8x-wd-red-wd40efrx-35-4tb-hdd-ab52405.

After looking around a little bit, I found this article - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454542/issue-with-wd-red-drives. It looks like it might be a combination of the motherboard you're using, in conjunction with hardware RAID configuration. I wouldn't expect mwave could sell these if there were issues with the Synology NAS boxes, but I could be wrong.

AdrianW

I've been wondering this myself as I've been considering getting this - http://www.mwave.com.au/product/synology-diskstation-ds1813-series-8bay-nas-8x-wd-red-wd40efrx-35-4tb-hdd-ab52405.

After looking around a little bit, I found this article - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454542/issue-with-wd-red-drives. It looks like it might be a combination of the motherboard you're using, in conjunction with hardware RAID configuration. I wouldn't expect mwave could sell these if there were issues with the Synology NAS boxes, but I could be wrong.

mwave had been sending out emails advertising those Synology units with a bunch of the Seagate NAS drives (also recommended for up to 5 bays only). I sent them an email, and I've haven't seen them advertise those since. I'm surprised that they're doing it with the WD drives now. Looking at their NAS page - it seems they're doing it with both Seagates and WD drives.

I contacted both WD and Seagate about their NAS drives and both replied that I should use their enterprise drives in units with more than 5 drives. 

Edited by AdrianW

I have had 3 3TB Seagate drives in my server, and so far all of them have failed in about a year. Will be buying more WD Reds from now, if only for the longer warranty if nothing else.

Swynol

i have a mixture, 2x 2TB Samsungs running for over 2years, 1x 3TB WD running for 3 months, 1x 2TB Seagate black running for less than 6 months 1x 1TB Seagate running ~2 years 1x 1TB WD running 4+ years and a 64GB Intel SSD running for 1 year.

Koleckai Silvestri

It is a limitation imposed on the drive so that they can force you to upgrade to their more expensive Blue and Black lines or even their Hitachi line (WD bought Hitachi's drive fabrication in 2010) for better multi-drive support. Connect only 5 to any controller and you'll be okay with them.

Edited by Wayne Luke

Intel SSD boot drive. WD Green 2TB (for recording TV) internal to my CinemaPC. Four WD Red 4TB (for storing my movies) in a StarTech dock attached to ASUS RT-AC68U via USB3.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WD disks for me as well.

Their RMA system is so easy to use if you have a failing/failed disk.

This is the main reason WD will continue to get my business from now on too.

I had a failed hard drive and it went as smooth as anything...

Fri 14th - Drive posted

Mon 17th - Drive arrives at WD

Wed 19th - Replacement drive authorised - Dispatched on the same day from Vecses and expected arrival is tomorrow!

Really didn't expect a replacement to be sent out after just 2 days but it's refreshing to see a company actually care about customer service for a change!

moviefan

Hitachi's RMA process works the same way.  WD owns them so possibly why now; although it has been the same for me both before and after the acquisition.

newfiend

I have been using Corsairs SSD's for OS and WD Black drives in the HTPC and Server. I have had the two black HDD's in the HTPC the longest almost 4 years now and have never had an issue. These things get hammered too from all the people in the house using them daily and they just keep going. Really impressed.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
smokey7722

WD primarily for me.  16x 2TB disks and a pair of 4TB's right now.  Although I had to escalate to mgmt in Support and get all 16x 2TB disks replaced for a different model due to major bugs (and my RMA'ing them on a weekly basis), they replaced them with a newer version and different model and since then (its been 2 years or so) I have only had one drive failure since then.  An advanced RMA gets to me usually within business 2 days of filing it assuming they have stock.  I've been very happy with them.

• 2 weeks later...
Heckler

I have a mix of drives bought over the last 4yrs in my media centres.

At least 3 samsung F4 drives, a couple of 1.5TB and a 2TB. I've got a Seagate 3TB and a WD 3TB, a couple of 500GB seagates (raid 1) and even a Hitachi 1TB (games drive)

So far none have failed... the oldest drives are the 1TB and 2x 1.5TB (4yrs old) whilst the 2TB and 500GB drives are 3yrs old.  The 3TB drives are 1,5yrs and 2 months respectively.

I've got a 500GB SATAII in a drawer, a 500GB IDE drive in a USB2 enclosure and I even found a 30GB and a 40GB in an box of spare parts recently.

In the last 15 years, and perhaps 20 drives purchased... I think I've had one failure.