Video Drops & Re-Connect Issues

darrenkdean

darrenkdean

Good Evening,

I have been experiencing an issue over the last few weeks, where watching a tv show on an OpenELEC Kodi box with the Emby AddOn, the video just goes black.  After a few seconds the video will stop & take me back to Kodi.  If I try to resume the tv show, Emby tells me there is an error & to check the logs.  I am unable to play content until the Kodi box is restarted.

I have been using this setup for years without problem & outside of updating the Emby Server as updates are released, there have been no changes that I'm aware of.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? 

(Included in the log: tv show we attempted to watch & were having problems with was Marco Polo, Season 2, Episode 8.  1080 H.264 DD 5.1)

The server is running Windows 8.1 on a 4ghz I7 with Intel QuickSync

Thank you for your help!

Darren

server-63633072136.txt

darrenkdean

Fair question, yes.  Local server is for example: 192.168.35.16 while a tv box for example, might be 10.50.2.82

• NetGear Orbi Router & Satellites act as wireless access point into a cisco managed switch with separate VLANs
  • Windows Server 2016 handles DHCP & DNS. 
  • Internal & External Web Application Proxies Assist Port Specific Routing Requests

Historically, the tv boxes have all been part of the 35 subnet until about a month ago....similar timing to when the issue began.  After implementing the NetGear Orbi's, we consolidated from two separate wireless networks to one.

@@darrenkdean, is it possible you are streaming with a bitrate that is too high? have you tried lowering the in-app bitrate setting? thanks.

darrenkdean

It is possible, although I'm not sure that's the case.  We have really good throughput across our internal networks & a 1 Gbps fiber connection externally.  I will lower the bitrate, test & confirm if it fixes it for the internal network.

The reason I say I'm not sure that this is the case, is that I am getting reports that external Amazon Fire Sticks & Amazon Fire TV Devices are getting regular freezes & what they call the GSOD's, aka the Gray Screen of Death.  =)  This all coincides with recent Emby Server & Emby Amazon Fire TV updates.

We are in the process of trying to extrapolate in the logs the event that is occurring with the Amazon Devices to submit for review as well.

Well I thought you said you were using the Emby for Kodi add-on? That is completely independent from the Emby for Fire TV app.

darrenkdean

Well I thought you said you were using the Emby for Kodi add-on? That is completely independent from the Emby for Fire TV app.

We use OTT M8 boxes with Codesnake's openELEC & Kodi locally over the WiFi Network at home, utilizing the Emby AddOn for Kodi.  We use Fire TV HD devices remotely.  It's unlikely to be a wireless throughput issue.  We have now migrated the Emby Server to Linux & the issues appear to be resolved.

Edited by darrenkdean