Speedtest (Client to server)

Untoten

Untoten

Not a speedtest of internet on the client.  But a speedtest on a client to the server they are being hosted from.  This could help basic users understand network limitations when deciding quality profiles.

• Like 6

mastrmind11

Isn't that what auto bitrate already does, without user intervention?

Isn't that what auto bitrate already does, without user intervention?

Yes.

Untoten

Not quite, if so, you are saying it maxes the client/server connection.  Is that what it does?  If so, again, not viable as I run other services and emby can't be expecting it is 100% of the traffic.

It does exactly what you requested - a speed test between app and server.  Then it sets the max bitrate based on the result of that test.

However, due to the potential for inaccurate results we no longer do that when on a local connection.  Instead, we just assume a high bitrate.

• Like 1

Untoten

What capacity of the bandwidth do you use for remote connections?  I ask because I run owncloud, openfire, etc from my server also, so if it maxes it out, it could be problematic for the usability of the other services.

What capacity of the bandwidth do you use for remote connections?  I ask because I run owncloud, openfire, etc from my server also, so if it maxes it out, it could be problematic for the usability of the other services.

Then you simply set the max bitrate manually in the client app.  Our app is going to do its best to provide the best playback experience possible on the existing connection.  If you want to manage that manually, we give you the ability to do that.

Untoten

I understand that, and it's an amazing solution, especially for the non technical.  What I am saying is perhaps a statistic or atleast an information output so the client and/or server is aware of the available bandwidth so they can adjust if they are using other services.  Just transparency of the information that is already calculated.

Untoten

Or if you think it's redundant, I understand, but where is this information so perhaps I can tap into it myself.  API at all?

Each app stores it's own settings internally, so it won't be accessible via api.

• Like 1

Untoten

So the calculation is done on the client side?  The server never pings out to the client?  

Untoten

What % of the bandwidth is it set to use?  Because I could just check the bitrate of the client then I suppose, but I limit all clients to 5mb/s so it wouldnt be wholly accurate.

TehEpikDuckeh

Idea: perhaps, when in the bit rate settings when watching a video, next to the "Auto" option should be the calculated bandwidth that auto would be using.

Example: Auto (28 Mbps)

• Like 3

Idea: perhaps, when in the bit rate settings when watching a video, next to the "Auto" option should be the calculated bandwidth that auto would be using.

Example: Auto (28 Mbps)

Yes, that is a good idea.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
neoweb

So does it use something like iperf to speed test?  Has there been anymore development in this area since 2017?  Can we get an update on exactly how this works?

In many cases we use bandwidth estimation apis on the client devices, in conjunction with some small tests performed with the emby server.

neoweb

So I just discovered Emby.  I installed it on a fresh ubuntu LTS box, and I am really impressed.  I experienced it not working today, and I am looking into what Auto is supposed to do, and I keep on finding old docs/forum posts.

Is auto supposed to scale down when an Emby client, lets say, on an android devices experiences lag/timeout?

This is what I was just looking at:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/78967-auto-quality/

and this:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66020-auto-quality-needs-work/

Is there a latest implementation description for 'Auto'?

Edited by neoweb

neoweb

So I was reading here:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001161551-android-mobile

Leave the app's streaming bitrate setting on the default value of Auto, if possible. The app will perform bandwidth tests with your Emby Server to determine the maximum playable bitrate.

It looks like that it prefers direct above all?

I am just wondering here at this point.  Has anyone suggested an adaptive setting based on the data coming in/not speed tests?  That is adaptive just adapts to whatever the server and connection can spew out, and just keeps lowering until cool?

By no means do I want to remove auto or manual.  They seem to be really cool in certain situations.  I just wonder if we could rename them?

It looks like that it prefers direct above all?

Only on the same local network as the server. When  you're outside it will do what I mentioned earlier.

crusher11

It does exactly what you requested - a speed test between app and server. Then it sets the max bitrate based on the result of that test.

However, due to the potential for inaccurate results we no longer do that when on a local connection. Instead, we just assume a high bitrate.

I've got a user who can get 18Mbps from my server, but Auto insists on giving them only 2.5Mbps.

And I agree that a speed test within the app would be a good idea. Netflix does this, and simply being able to know the number is helpful in some instances.

• 11 months later...
ivolanski

I have a gigabit internet and a gigabit lan. Iperf between my pc and emby ubuntu server shows results nearby expected but I guess emby max connection speed is 10 times less than it, maybe the bottleneck is my external usb3 HD. Anyway, I really would like to see a speedtest number to help me find out the bottleneck.

Note that I'm not talking about playing a specific movie, I'm talking about understand how fast it can be.

Thanks

1 hour ago, ivolanski said:

I have a gigabit internet and a gigabit lan. Iperf between my pc and emby ubuntu server shows results nearby expected but I guess emby max connection speed is 10 times less than it, maybe the bottleneck is my external usb3 HD. Anyway, I really would like to see a speedtest number to help me find out the bottleneck.

Note that I'm not talking about playing a specific movie, I'm talking about understand how fast it can be.

Thanks

Hi, yes it's a good idea. Thanks for the feedback.