4K Transcoding Performance

muhfugen

muhfugen

I was wondering if there is anything which can be done to improve the performance of transcoding high bitrate 4K video? For instance I have a copy of the movie Fury with a 118 Mbps video stream, and it requires 16 cores from a pair of Xeon E5-2660 v2 CPUs (2.2Ghz 10 core) to transcode with the encoding preset set to ultrafast and constant quality factor set to 23. I used the Network tab of the Inspector pane in Firefox to download one of the .ts files Emby was sending my client, and was surprised to see it outputted a 4K video file even though the client's display is less than 4K. Is there a way to force it to output video at the same resolution as the client device, or even just a fixed resolution like 1080p?

Edited by muhfugen

Happy2Play

Have you looked at the Playback options?  Click user icon top right of browser, the Playback-Advanced (Max streaming bitrate).

muhfugen

I gave that a try and sent it to 1080p 25Mbps, but it is still sending 4K content to the client even after relaunching Firefox.

muhfugen

I tried it with a couple more 4K files and they're sending 4K video to the client as well even though my users playback settings are set to:

L9mwrNFr.png

Edited by muhfugen

muhfugen

@@Luke, I used the Network tab of the Inspector pane in Firefox to view what URLs the Emby web app was downloading, then I downloaded one of the URLs manually, and opened it in VLC:

TQob2fV.jpg

muhfugen

Also I cant help but think this may be related but strangely I've noticed that everytime I log in my user's playback preferences keep on getting reset back to Auto. If I change it back to 1080p 25Mbps it still serves me with 4K content.

Edited by muhfugen

You configured the bitrate setting in the very same firefox browser on the very same device?

muhfugen

@@Luke, please disregard my previous post about it not remembering the bit rate. I forgot that private browsing mode was enabled. I've since disabled it and it does remember the settings now, albeit it does not honor them. It still serves 4K client even though my account is configured for 1080p 25Mbps. Yes on the same browser on the same device, the entire time I've only been using Firefox on a single device.

I just tested firefox and i don't see any issues with it honoring the bitrate setting. did you try changing the quality directly in the video player after playback starts? you can also do it that way.

Since you are on 3.2.19 can you update to 3.2.20, and then if the issue persists, please attach a new log based on that? thanks.

to be honest i have a feeling it is the browser that is the issue though. we save all of these app settings in local storage of the browser, and if i had to guess you have some configuration beyond private mode that is preventing data from being stored.

muhfugen

@@Luke, it is remembering the setting now that I disabled private browsing mode, just not honoring it. In case it matters the Firefox plugins are uBlock Origin (ad blocker), NoScript (javascript blocker), MEGA (cloud storage), h264ify (force h264 on youtube) and FireShot (save webpages as images).

I also just tried it on Safari which I pretty much never use and which has no plugins installed and the behavior is the same - https://my.mixtape.moe/oebfty.mov

Edited by muhfugen

Ok then please update to 3.2.20, and then if the issue persists, please attach a new log based on that? thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
zigzagtshirt

I was wondering if there is anything which can be done to improve the performance of transcoding high bitrate 4K video? For instance I have a copy of the movie Fury with a 118 Mbps video stream, and it requires 16 cores from a pair of Xeon E5-2660 v2 CPUs (2.2Ghz 10 core) to transcode with the encoding preset set to ultrafast and constant quality factor set to 23. I used the Network tab of the Inspector pane in Firefox to download one of the .ts files Emby was sending my client, and was surprised to see it outputted a 4K video file even though the client's display is less than 4K. Is there a way to force it to output video at the same resolution as the client device, or even just a fixed resolution like 1080p?

Any updates on this?  Haven't tried to reproduce the issue, but I'm curious to know if it's still happening.