Live TV - DRM (New option)

Untoten

Untoten

So I am using HDHR and I was never able to watch DRM streams, via hdhomerun view or Emby (server WMC).  I installed Windows 10 insider edition or whatever the new upgrade is called, installed MPEG2 and now I can watch DRM streams via HDhomerun view, but still not with Emby.  What is the diff here?  Are you able to tap into that at all?

Sammy

It has been done by others, it uses only API to pull the stream.

By whom? The only project I know of is the Silicon Dust HDHR Prime and that is WAY over due. I put in $30 on the kick starter campaign some 3 years ago and gave up on it when they didn't come out with a grid style EPG and due to the fact that they're just now getting DRM worked out.. two years beyond their deadline.

Also, if not, it could start a recording done via the windows app and do playback at 1-5 second delay, so it is just playing the unprotected playback.  Anything would be great because as of now on Spectrum Cable I can watch about 5 channels so it's essentially useless.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29732

I guess I'm fortunate as my legacy Charter Spectrum (by legacy I mean not part of the new TWC / Brighthouse buyout) has almost every single channel Copy-Freely, even all but a few of the premium pay channels. Most of my lineup plays fine in Emby from anyplace I have a decent internet connection. We even watched the local news in Cancun last fall via Roku and Wireless access point. With the upgraded Rokus we probably don't even need the AP because it has a web interface log-in page to connect directly to the resort's WiFi.

Edited by Sammy

Untoten

By whom? The only project I know of is the Silicon Dust HDHR Prime and that is WAY over due. I put in $30 on the kick starter campaign some 3 years ago and gave up on it when they didn't come out with a grid style EPG and due to the fact that they're just now getting DRM worked out.. two years beyond their deadline.

I guess I'm fortunate as my legacy Charter Spectrum (by legacy I mean not part of the new TWC / Brighthouse buyout) has almost every single channel Copy-Freely, even all but a few of the premium pay channels. Most of my lineup plays fine in Emby from anyplace I have a decent internet connection. We even watched the local news in Cancun last fall via Roku and Wireless access point. With the upgraded Rokus we probably don't even need the AP because it has a web interface log-in page to connect directly to the resort's WiFi.

Dude!!  Try this out, I just tried it before I made this post, and it plays all my DRM channels now!! That is why im saying for them to try to hook into it because it works now fully!!  (requires mpeg2 ms codec)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/hdhomerun/9nblggh58vwk

Sammy

Dude!! I've know about that for quite some time now but I don't use Windows 10 as WMC on Windows 7 works perfectly fine for me. This cannot be tapped into because Emby needs to have a protected playback path that is approved by CableLabs which costs a lot of money and they're not going to pay the fees for it. Not only that but as Silicon Dust discovered this isn't as easy as it may seem on the outside. I'm sure that MicroSoft had the developers and tons of cash to throw at CableLabs for certification of WMC for DRM / CCI playback schemes. Emby doesn't have that and Silicon Dust nearly lost their shorts on getting to where they are right now. I'm pretty sure all the Kickstarter moneys were gone long ago.

EDIT: ON top of tall this, Silicondust isn't going to just let Emby tap into that playback path because it is protected and to do so would cause them to lose Cablelabs certification and in turn dump their whole project and their customers in the trash.

Edited by Sammy