Live TV on Roku, good quality?

gene0915

gene0915

I plan on upgrading my account today to Premiere but had a quick question or 3.

The big reason I'm buying Premiere is because my brother lives far away and wants to watch my local channels. He'll be watching them on a Roku 3 (maybe 4...forget which one he has).

My server is based on an i5-6600K CPU and I'm using a HDHR Connect. I believe I'll have the horsepower to transcode to him but just wanted to get everyone's opinions on the Roku live TV quality. Everything good there? (He won't be recording anything, just watching live TV.)

With Plex.....if I want to avoid paying for Plex on my mobile devices, I sign into them with my main account (which has Plex Pass). I'm assuming things are the same with Emby? (As in, if he plans on using Emby on mobile devices to watch live TV, I should use his email address when purchasing Emby Premiere so he doesn't have to buy the apps on his phone, iPad, etc.) Or, if he has no plans to ever use Emby on mobile devices, I could just use MY email address when purchasing Premiere and he'll be set on his Roku, correct?)

(He's going to give me the $100 as he just want to watch some football games that he can't get since he's out of the market and I get the games OTA)

clarkss12

My son, that lives 2 states over, does what you wish. He has all Apple products, and uses my Emby server to watch the live American football games from my area, and not available in his area. No extra cost to him. Last football season I was using my older HDHomeRun dual, but now using my Extend, set to transcode.

Hi.  If you purchase Premiere and install the key on your server, then it will work for your brother when he attaches to your server (he won't have to also purchase it or the apps).

Plex ties their service to an account.  We tie it to a key installed on a server because we don't force you to make an account or go through us to use your server.

gene0915

Hi.  If you purchase Premiere and install the key on your server, then it will work for your brother when he attaches to your server (he won't have to also purchase it or the apps).

Plex ties their service to an account.  We tie it to a key installed on a server because we don't force you to make an account or go through us to use your server.

Excellent to hear, thanks!