Direct playing now transcoding

Kramerika

Kramerika

Up until this week, my OTA live TV stations on my Shield TV via HD Homerun boxes were direct playing with the internal player (Direct/I) with 5.1 dolby surround.  As of last night, they are now transcoding (Trans/I) although still maintaining the 5.1 sound.  I can switch to VLC which direct plays, but it is not nearly as smooth.  I was wondering what changed, and if there were any way to get it back to direct playing as I don't like it using my CPU on my server if not needed.  I can direct play with the Silicondust app just fine.  I sent logs just now as MediaServer.

CBers

What version of the Android TV app do you have installed and what version of Emby server?

You have the option enabled for Direct Play?

More than likely, the channels are interlaced (or, at least we think they are) and we are now running those through the server to de-interlace them.

Kramerika

What version of the Android TV app do you have installed and what version of Emby server?

You have the option enabled for Direct Play?

The latest Android TV beta, 1.4.18g, and the latest stable server, 3.2.19.0.  I have had the direct play option enabled since starting to use Emby a few years ago.  It was direct playing live TV as of last week, but it started transcoding this week.  I attached the logs.

What's interesting is that I have a Fire TV too, and it direct plays live TV fine, but that is the stable version of the app which is probably older.

ffmpeg-directstream-86d92192-da42-463a-b98b-a1b1bdedaf75.txt

server-63632649600.txt

Edited by Kramerika

Your example actually isn't transcoding.  It is direct streaming it which will allow you to pause, rewind, ff and puts very little load on your server.

What is your Live TV source?  Is it local to the machine that is playing it?

Kramerika

No, it's from an HDHomerun box on my network coming from an OTA antenna.  I guess I never noticed the interlacing.  As long as the picture is always smooth and the server is not being used, I honestly don't care either way.