ISP Bandwidth

buddyweiser

buddyweiser

So, I have ATT Uverse Max package, providing up to 12Mbps download speeds(not sure what the "promised" upload speeds are). But I don't get that, does anyone know why?

This is a speed test that I just did online.

post-963-0-05494800-1392622526_thumb.png

Also, what would be the required bandwidth to stream HQ(only 2 to 5 gb at the most for my movie files) outside of my home network. I'm taking a trip back home soon and I want to be able to show off my setup with my laptop and MBT :D

buddyweiser

I understand that also, which is why I posted the img showing my upload speed. I tried to stream to outside my network for the first time, but almost every second it would stop and skip (buffering I assume)

Ya it could be that you were soaking your upload speed (bitrate set too high in your chosen app) or it could be that your cpu is not fast enough to keep up.

If you open an ffmpeg log of the playback event you will see fps=xx  if that is below the original frame rate of the media then it is your cpu if it is higher than original frame rate it could be either your upload speed or the download speed of device you are using (or something else entirely).

Edited by Tikuf

trusselo

firstly what client are you streaming to? note: MBC and MBT do not support transcoding.

ok heres the low down..

they sell you megaBITS, by default speed test shows this too.  Mb/s

your files are in megaBYTES, utorrent and web browsers download in MB/s

Big B BYTES

little b bits

8 bits in a byte.

your 5 gigabyte file is 5000 megabytes. lets call it 120 minutes long. 7200 seconds.  5000/7200 = .694  MB/s or 694 kB/s

you need to have 694 kiloBYTES per second upload AND download speeds to serve or receive a file that large.

Edited by trusselo

trusselo

go back to speed test .net and set your OPTIONS to kB/s then re-run the test. 

give you real useful numbers that agree with utorrent and your internet downloads.

i have a 100 megabit connection

i get 11 megabyte/s download speeds from microsoft/google servers ect (speedtest.net)

i get 3-8 megabyte/s torrents and smaller servered websites.

Edited by trusselo

Redshirt

Most HD movies are 2-6 mb/s. That's what your upload speed would need to be in order to stream without pausing. Unfortunately your upload rate looks like it can only sustain sd tv shows. The mobile clients should still allow you to specify a bitrate that's on par with what your isp can supply.

buddyweiser

Thanks Trusselo, I re-tested and got 114.1 kB/s, so I think I need to up my bandwidth to stream. I'm using MBT, and I don't think its my processor, as I was watching my CPU activity and it never went above 40%, and after reviewing the log Tikuf suggested, the fps seem to be the same as the files

trusselo

250mb \ 24 min = 250mb \ 1440 sec = 173 kB/s  nope

it IS your connection. not processor, not anything else but net speed.

try a 75mb copy of family guy. it will work.

Edited by trusselo

buddyweiser

Yes, the server and MBT client are in separate networks. I just have to decide if it's worth it to upgrade my internet package. Does MBT have any kind of buffer? So that it can preload video if paused, and then play without skipping?

Not really, pretty sure it assumes that the playback is from a local source or at least a source that can sustain the bitrates (afaik).

If you are on windows 8.1 you may want to try the modern app as it has proper streaming/transcoding.