Performance Improvements

G1zm0

Loading live TV channel pictures on Fire TV stick it's slow, especially when wanting a channel change. Could the TVGuide graphics be cached in ram on the server? For servers with a lot of ram, use that ram for cache - as in the case where a server has 32 GB spare. Just thinking of methods to speed up the UI.

Loading live TV channel pictures on Fire TV stick it's slow, especially when wanting a channel change. Could the TVGuide graphics be cached in ram on the server? For servers with a lot of ram, use that ram for cache - as in the case where a server has 32 GB spare. Just thinking of methods to speed up the UI.

The server side is fast, it's rendering on the device that is the slow part.

• 1 year later...
Sturmkater

Hey guys, I somhow struggle with the rights I guess. When I move the db to an usb drive, emby seas it, but apears not able to write to it. (no new content apears, cant change covers and so on)

sudo chown embysrv:users did not work somehow. I could however change the ownership in the web interface, since the share is visible there. Still emby chant write to it. ls -l didn't show an ACL flag, getfacl doesn't work eater, as well not on folders where there is an ACL flag. The entire path to the emby library is readable and executable by everyone. Out of desperity I changed the emby library to 777. In the shared folder settings embysrv has read write access to it. So I really don't understand what's wrong, nor how the synology write management works. Does someone have a clue what's wrong here? Thanks:-)

No, but if you'd like to try something new, you may get a slight performance bump from this:

• Like 1

Sturmkater
5 hours ago, Luke said:

No, but if you'd like to try something new, you may get a slight performance bump from this:

Slight performance bump?? That's already huge!! Nice job, now we moved from face freecing to "do I really need to move it to a flash drive"

• 5 months later...
dnoronha

Update to my previous post...

I've since moved away from the USB method I had previously tried in this thread to this: 

I did a clean install... and the server side is performing pretty good on a DS1813+.  I was a little reluctant to scan all my data at once but I'm doing it in chunks and so far it's going well.  

20 minutes ago, dnoronha said:

Update to my previous post...

I've since moved away from the USB method I had previously tried in this thread to this: 

I did a clean install... and the server side is performing pretty good on a DS1813+.  I was a little reluctant to scan all my data at once but I'm doing it in chunks and so far it's going well.  

Thanks for the feedback !

• 1 month later...
cochize1
On 7/2/2017 at 9:35 AM, Dewey80 said:

Hey @@G1zm0

Thanks so much for the super detailed step-through! More than I was expecting, thanks for taking the time  :D  really helped for a linux novice like myself!!

Just a few corrections to the above should @Marchel1808 or anyone else wish to also do this.

Step 3: I needed to add a -R option to get it to copy

cp -/volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/var/data/ /volumeUSB1/usbshare/Emby/data/

Step 5: I needed to remove the / at the end to link the folder

ln -s /volumeUSB1/usbshare/Emby/data /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/var/data

Step 6: Slight typo in the user

chown -R embysvr /volumeUSB1/usbshare/Emby/data/

Everything is up and running, and hopefully I now see a performance improvement  :ph34r:

Cheers mate,

Dewey

@G1zm0

I know it's an old thread, but If I were to try and do that now, with Emby 4.5.4.0 and with changed emby structure in the Synology folder, would that be the right way (command-wise I know nothing about linux)?

1. When logged in elevated your acces with
sudo -i

2. Go to the folder
cd /volume1/Emby/data/

3. Copy the folder to the USB-stick
cp -R /volume1/Emby/data/ /volumeUSB1/usbshare/Emby/data/

4. Rename the old folder
mv /volume1/Emby/data /volume1/Emby/data_old

5. Create a symlink to the folder on the USB-stick
ln -s /volumeUSB1/usbshare/Emby/data /volume1/Emby/data

6. Give Emby rights to the folder

7. Restart Emby on your Synology from the Package Centre
8. If everything works remove old folder
rm -rf /volume1/Emby/data_old

Edited by cochize1

11 minutes ago, cochize1 said:

@G1zm0

I know it's an old thread, but If I were to try and do that now, with Emby 4.5.4.0 and with changed emby structure in the Synology folder, would that be the right way (command-wise I know nothing about linux)?

1. When logged in elevated your acces with
sudo -i

2. Go to the folder
cd /volume1/Emby/data/

3. Copy the folder to the USB-stick
cp -R /volume1/Emby/data/ /volumeUSB1/usbshare/Emby/data/

4. Rename the old folder
mv /volume1/Emby/data /volume1/Emby/data_old

5. Create a symlink to the folder on the USB-stick
ln -s /volumeUSB1/usbshare/Emby/data /volume1/Emby/data

6. Give Emby rights to the folder

7. Restart Emby on your Synology from the Package Centre
8. If everything works remove old folder
rm -rf /volume1/Emby/data_old

Hi, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

cochize1

I am trying to squeeze max performance out of my Synology 218+ (Intel Celeron J3355, 2GB RAM). There is no vivd issue I would like to report. Just yesterday I found about the hiden VACUUM option and it really helped with snappiness of the whole system. Beofre that from time to time the system hanged sometimes for couple of seconds, too soon to report if the vacuuming resolved that for now.

I was looking for other options to optimize the experiance and remembered that there was a solution to move emby db to external usb or ssd, hence my question. OR maybe with the new Synology package (since that post is from way back) there is no need to do that and I would gain nothing from moving to the external usb?

There are some errors in my logs if you care to take a look of course and give any hints on how to improve my experience and maybe what plugins to uninstall. Thanks in advance.

embyserver (2).txt

Edited by cochize1

On 3/22/2021 at 3:10 PM, cochize1 said:

I am trying to squeeze max performance out of my Synology 218+ (Intel Celeron J3355, 2GB RAM). There is no vivd issue I would like to report. Just yesterday I found about the hiden VACUUM option and it really helped with snappiness of the whole system. Beofre that from time to time the system hanged sometimes for couple of seconds, too soon to report if the vacuuming resolved that for now.

I was looking for other options to optimize the experiance and remembered that there was a solution to move emby db to external usb or ssd, hence my question. OR maybe with the new Synology package (since that post is from way back) there is no need to do that and I would gain nothing from moving to the external usb?

There are some errors in my logs if you care to take a look of course and give any hints on how to improve my experience and maybe what plugins to uninstall. Thanks in advance.

embyserver (2).txt 11.05 MB · 1 download

If you're happy then I would leave things as they are. You have a lot of third party plugins installed, so that would be the first thing to look at removing if you run into an issue. The upcoming 4.6 release will also bring a number of performance improvements.

cochize1

@Luke

As impatient as I am, I successfully managed to move library.db (with the commands I listed above), cache, metadata and transcoding-temp folders (changing the paths in the dashboard) to an external SSD disc I bought just for this occasion.

I can see an improvement in performance mainly because it is SSD not HDD so you can see that everything is quicker and more responsive and would recommend that to NAS users who have all slots occupied with their HDD drives (I simply plugged small SSD to the back of my NAS). Only think I have noticed is that Emby uses around 45-50% of my Synology’s RAM now (earlier it was around 35%).

Additionally I allowed my users to transcode media (even though all my media are mp4 or mkv with acc sound and max of 5000 bitrate they still had freezes and buffering issues). I will wait and see now if this setting will help with that. Thanks for suggestions anyhow.

I have two extra questions:

1.When it comes out, can I simply update my server to 4.6 with these files being on the external SSD and the whole setup will work?

2. Can I still use VACUUM option in system.xml for the database if it is different location now?

22 hours ago, cochize1 said:

@Luke

As impatient as I am, I successfully managed to move library.db (with the commands I listed above), cache, metadata and transcoding-temp folders (changing the paths in the dashboard) to an external SSD disc I bought just for this occasion.

I can see an improvement in performance mainly because it is SSD not HDD so you can see that everything is quicker and more responsive and would recommend that to NAS users who have all slots occupied with their HDD drives (I simply plugged small SSD to the back of my NAS). Only think I have noticed is that Emby uses around 45-50% of my Synology’s RAM now (earlier it was around 35%).

Additionally I allowed my users to transcode media (even though all my media are mp4 or mkv with acc sound and max of 5000 bitrate they still had freezes and buffering issues). I will wait and see now if this setting will help with that. Thanks for suggestions anyhow.

I have two extra questions:

1.When it comes out, can I simply update my server to 4.6 with these files being on the external SSD and the whole setup will work?

2. Can I still use VACUUM option in system.xml for the database if it is different location now?

Yes and yes.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just updating this thread to include the fact that the latest Emby data path on DSM 7 is

/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/data

I had already set up a symlink from the above path to /volumeUSB1/usbshare/Emby/data/ but had forgot to document it and it took me a while to figure out now that my USB drive failed.

I now have a second USB drive that has failed with the method described in this post, so will likely be moving towards an external SSD or SATA NVME drive instead. For now, I am updating my symlink to point to my nightly backup of my Emby data folder which is on my main SHR volume and will endure the slower speeds until I have tried the external SSD/NVME method out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 3:15 AM, newb said:

Just updating this thread to include the fact that the latest Emby data path on DSM 7 is

/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/data

I had already set up a symlink from the above path to /volumeUSB1/usbshare/Emby/data/ but had forgot to document it and it took me a while to figure out now that my USB drive failed.

I now have a second USB drive that has failed with the method described in this post, so will likely be moving towards an external SSD or SATA NVME drive instead. For now, I am updating my symlink to point to my nightly backup of my Emby data folder which is on my main SHR volume and will endure the slower speeds until I have tried the external SSD/NVME method out.

I'd go with NVMe as they are really reliable.

Check out this thread for the best use of NVMe we've tested and the fastest way to run Emby on Synology NAS.

Thanks @cayars, I have been eyeing out that thread and will research all aspects. I happen to have a spare 500GB NVMe drive but my NAS model (DS216+ii) does not support M.2 NVMe drives, so I either need to sacrifice an internal drive slot or try to use the eSATA/USB3 port on the NAS with the M.2 NVMe drive. I’ll post in that thread after reading it fully.

Edited by newb

You could do that which would likely show an improvement but will be limited to SATA speeds of around 500MB read/write.

You will probably still find this an improvement as the access time is still reduced regardless of bandwidth/throughput!