Downloading/sharing photos from Emby

computerprep

computerprep

Alongside my media, I use Emby to store, organize, and share family photography. Extended family members have logins that also access my photo library so they can see, download, and print photos of my kids, their nieces/nephews/grandkids.

On the web browser, there's a great download button when the end user is previewing an image. It downloads the photo with it's original filename and is otherwise splendid.

On the Android Mobile app, I can't find a download button. And the share button doesn't offer a native "save to device" option. Luckily, I use a file browser that supports sharing to for saving. Some of my family don't. Lastly, the Android Mobile app renames the file to "Image" with no extension, for every sharing channel (Gmail, file browser, etc). This is proving to be a fairly difficult obstacle for some of my family members to overcome.

Edited by computerprep

• 2 weeks later...

hi @@computerprep, you can use the "make available offline" feature, however we may rename this to just Download if it would be more obvious. Let me know if this helps. Thanks !

computerprep

That'd work for me, but for some less savvy users (my family), it could be hard to find the fine in it's automatic downloaded location. To make it a download button and use the systems default download process would be more user friendly for photo content.

Plus the "make available offline" is only accessible through the "..." menu when viewing the thumbnail. It's not accessible when viewing a single photo.

Edited by computerprep

• 1 month later...
computerprep

@@Luke, this looks great on my phone and on my computer... seriously thanks. except...

I tested a family member's Microsoft Surface browsing with that new IE Edge browser last Tuesday and it had some problems in photo-based libraries. Not sure when your most recent changes were implemented, but on Tuesday there was no download button on single-image viewing or on folder-based thumbnail viewing. If these changes were implemented after that, then I'll have to find the original Surface RT I have lying around and test it out. If it should have worked last Tuesday, then something about the Edge browser or the browser's pixel width was hiding it. I take that last one back, because it works on my phone, which is even smaller, so it'd have to be the browser.

I'll dig out my old surface and test again soon.

• 4 months later...