Shield w/Emby Picture Quality versus HTPC w/ Emby Theater

colleycol

colleycol

Everyone,

I am thinking of going the Shield route versus a HTPC for playing back full bit-rate Bluray rips for my home theater.  The one thing I am worried about is picture quality on a 133 inch screen.

Any insight on the picture quality of the Shield with Emby?  How about in comparison with an HTPC with a mid level graphics card running MadVr?

Jdiesel

HTPC definitely has the potential for better IQ compared to the Shield TV or any other Android TV device. I will assume that you have a 1080p projector and therefore do not require any scaling when watching your full bitrate bluray rips meaning that high quality scalers are not important in your scenario. However, madVR does offer benefits when playing videos at the screens native resolution through its chroma upscaling. madVR is the best there is when it comes to this and if you want to get every last bit of IQ out of your setup madVR makes sense. Luckily it sounds like madVR will be making a comeback to ET soon. If you have any 720p material the benefits of madVR are even more pronounced. I personally have a 135" screen with a 1080p projector and use madVR. I used a Shield TV on my 60" Plasma where I am less concerned about quality and more concerned about convince.  

Edited by Jdiesel