transcoding live tv

eric859

eric859

I have a roku stick using the emby app to watch live tv.  It buffers a lot probably because it's a little far from the router.  Can I setup Emby to transcode the m3u and hdhomerun prime live tv so I can lower the mb/s?

Thanks

Hi.  Yes, just set the bitrate to a lower value in the Roku app settings (under Video Quality settings).

ewoliver

Along the same lines, is there a way to set a default value for streaming (as a max)?  Some of my channels try to play at 1080p/60Mbit and my server, network, and clients are all incapable of anything approaching that level of quality.

I'd like to force it to something more like 1080p/4Mbit maximum.

- Evan

Along the same lines, is there a way to set a default value for streaming (as a max)?  Some of my channels try to play at 1080p/60Mbit and my server, network, and clients are all incapable of anything approaching that level of quality.

I'd like to force it to something more like 1080p/4Mbit maximum.

- Evan

If you set the bitrate inside the app then it will apply to anything you play from that app on that device. does that help?

ewoliver

If you set the bitrate inside the app then it will apply to anything you play from that app on that device. does that help?

Yeah. That's perfect, almost all of my viewing is on Roku.  I can live with setting the quality manually for each stream on the few times I'm watching it on my PC.

Thanks x100000

- Evan

Well every app has a bitrate setting do you don't need to set it every single time you play something. just go into the settings for that particular app. Just keep in mind that lowering the value will cause more server transcoding, which many find undesirable.

ewoliver

Well every app has a bitrate setting do you don't need to set it every single time you play something. just go into the settings for that particular app. Just keep in mind that lowering the value will cause more server transcoding, which many find undesirable.

I've been watching it in firefox via the web interface.  I'll give the windows store app a try. 

Thanks again.