Purchased Emby Premier for Offline Sync ... Not Working

j0nsemby

j0nsemby

Hello,

I purchased Emby Premier to combat Plex Offline always eating my media when the device reboots (being its on SD card, Plex reverts settings to Internal Storage, you switch it back to external aaaaand it wipes it).

I purchased my key, added it to my server, queued up 4 episodes to download to my device (Fire Tablet, 2015).  Files say Ready To Transfer, but nothing happens when I force it through the app as it states "sync started" and no syncing occurs.  I also force through the server, again, no sync occurs.

Pretty frustrated at this point, forums rave how simplistic and emby "just works", but obviously its not.

My setup is simple, no custom configuration vs others builds.

The log file on my tablet states "file:///android_asset/www/index.html#!/mysync.html?mode=offline: Line 0 : Uncaught (in promise) undefined"

I restarted the app, restarted the server app and server itself, verified I selected my storage device (SD) within emby as the location to download, and nothing.

I was able to see it once change to 'transferring', but my CPU and memory on my server has not changed, and no files have been moved to my tablet.

I've let it sit for almost an hour with the screen on the tablet, still nothing as well.

At this point I'm going to look for a refund.

Hi there, we're sorry to hear about this. Can you please provide a log from the app so that we can review? Thanks !

j0nsemby

See attached.

I even tried to bump my CPU core count thinking the 1 was to low, didn't seem to make a difference.

As a workaround, can you make sure this directory exists:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\plugins\configurations

If not, please create it. That might be the issue. Then restart the server. We'll update this for the next release of the server so that you don't need to do that. Thanks.

j0nsemby

Tried manually, wouldn't do anything. Let it sit for about an hour and it seems to be working now on its own.

Thanks for the info. We'll do some testing on the force sync button.

j0nsemby

Thanks Luke, soon as these are all sync'd and I get back from my trip in a day or two, I will clear the tablet and try again, then reply back.  Flight leaves in 3 hours so this helps me on the plane vs waiting for Plex to sync maybe 4-5 episodes before I leave...

j0nsemby

Well, it only got about 2 episodes before it stopped syncing with the rest just showing 'Queued', I still have 6 gb left on the SD and can easily fit the remaining shows waiting in 'queued' and 'ready to transfer' state.

The sync button (green sync) in the app does nothing to start the syncing.  Was hopeful there for a minute but doesn't look like it.

j0nsemby

Looks like it has a mind of its own, its downloaded 1 episode that was 'ready to transfer', the rest is still sitting at 'ready to transfer'.

Pushing sync doesn't do anything, flipping to the server and hitting 'convert media' doesn't do anything.

Is this how it normally acts?

j0nsemby

Attaching log.

I see this:

2017-05-30 15:22:57.1604 Info ServerManager: Sending web socket message ScheduledTaskEnded
2017-05-30 15:22:57.1760 Info TaskManager: ExecuteQueuedTasks

But nothing happens.

Still 'ready to transfer' on my device, but no files have been transfered in the past 5 minutes.

I thought Plex offline sync was bad, this is ridiculous...

server-63631754341.txt

j0nsemby

Now I'm at the airport and no wifi access and I can't even view my synced media because it's requiring me to connect to wifi to verify my premium access so I can view my content (the 4 episodes that actually synced up).

Come on... this is a joke.

• Like 1

screwfaze

@@j0nsemby offline mode currently not available I have been asking for any update on the progress for months now mate and just been ignored. Don't understand why this is not the highest priority for Emby!

aptalca

On my android device, I can access the downloaded media files with any file browser app and play them with a video player.

Afaik none of the emby clients are able to play offline media without an Internet connection, but it is something that is being worked on.

j0nsemby

@@j0nsemby offline mode currently not available I have been asking for any update on the progress for months now mate and just been ignored. Don't understand why this is not the highest priority for Emby!

On my android device, I can access the downloaded media files with any file browser app and play them with a video player.

Afaik none of the emby clients are able to play offline media without an Internet connection, but it is something that is being worked on.

Thanks for the heads up guys, would be nice if this was printed in black and white when looking at the premium features.

"Download your media to your smart phones and tablets for easy offline playback. Supported on Android and Windows." 

Very misleading, I mean based on what you both said, yes it does download the media, arguably not 'easy offline playback' if you have to use something like VLC to view it.

I ended up buying a used NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet K1 and loaded Emby and Plex on it.  Going to play with both, now that I know it does sync offline media to the device, but if you need VLC to view the media, it may lean me more towards Plex for the time being.  Right now I could technically just move the MKVs over to the SD directly with no conversion (sure it more space, but with 128 and 256gb cards, not much of an issue there), you can skip the offline sync directly.

However, Emby sever itself after about a week of looking over each option and configuration, is definitely something to spar against Plex with.

I'll probably run both for now, hopefully Emby will make an official announcement when true offline support is working..

aptalca

Yes, it is a bit misleading, but technically it is not incorrect.

By offline viewing, they mean viewing the media locally and not streaming from the server (or perhaps the server is offline). I don't think they mean viewing while the client device is offline (at least not yet).

aptalca

To be honest, plex and emby are very similar in terms of features. I have lifetime licenses for both.

Before emby, I used to use kodi+mysql at home and plex for remote (with trakt for syncing the watched status). After discovering emby a couple of months ago, I've been using emby for everything. The main reason for that is, emby has a kodi plugin that integrates the emby library into kodi. And emby also does remote really well. So I can use emby for both local and remote while keeping kodi on my big projector screen.

• 1 month later...

@@aptalca

@@j0nsemby

2.9.32 is rolling out and supports offline browsing and playback. The feature is still very new so please make sure to leave your feedback and we will continue to improve it. Thanks !

j0nsemby

@@aptalca

@@j0nsemby

2.9.32 is rolling out and supports offline browsing and playback. The feature is still very new so please make sure to leave your feedback and we will continue to improve it. Thanks !

AWESOME!! Thank you so much! Can't wait to try this!  Totally understand its new, definitely in the right direction!