Live TV recording playback issue

tdiguy

tdiguy

I have emby running on a raspberry pi3 on raspbian jessie. Storage is on a external hard drive connected to the rp3 via usb.

Live tv is via a hdhomerun prime.

I scheduled a recording through emby and have it set to convert recordings to mp4.

From what i can tell it was recorded without an issue. I see the recording in emby.

I am using emby for android. When i try to play the recording it just has the spinning thing for a seconds but does not play it.

My other media libraries seem to be just fine and watching live tv seems just fine.

tdiguy

My server seems to still have issues freezing up and the whole thing becomes unresponsive in general. I again cant reach it by ssh or via emby app. Once i get some time i think i will wipe the whole thing out and rebuild the server, without attempting the docker install this time. Not sure why but i get the feeling that is part of the problem.

Hi there, we're very sorry to hear about your recording issue. In order for us to best help you, please discuss a specific example, and then attach the corresponding information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks !

tdiguy

@@Luke

I am curious, with the setup that i have i do not see much need to transcode. Is there a way to skip installing ffmpeg when i go to re-install emby? I am planning on primarily using apps on nearly anything connecting to the server. 

No because we still need to use ffprobe to probe the files for media info.

tdiguy

OK, I looked at the logs a bit, I was not really sure what was going wrong but i noticed a lot of failures from plugins which i had thought i uninstalled and my syslog had a lot of docker errors.

So i figured it was a hack job install on my part. I wiped the server again and re-installed using the instructions  to install without docker along with some instructions on using backported ffmpeg.

tdiguy

Also curious, I noticed when i play live tv from my web browser that it has to transcode. However if i use an emby app on any of my devices it shows it as direct play. Is that expected? I am surprised the pi doesn't fall all over itself transcoding but there is a lot to be desired quality wise. Course vie the emby app its nice and smooth.

Also curious, I noticed when i play live tv from my web browser that it has to transcode. However if i use an emby app on any of my devices it shows it as direct play. Is that expected? I am surprised the pi doesn't fall all over itself transcoding but there is a lot to be desired quality wise. Course vie the emby app its nice and smooth.

Yes, no browser supports mpeg2, and no browser supports the mpegts container. And only Edge supports ac3. To learn more check out our web app wiki article:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Web%20Client

Thanks.

tdiguy

Ok this turned out to be a permissions issue. I have gotten a bit lazy mostly using windows. I forget with linux directory permissions need to be in order. Once i set emby as the group and owner playback was fine, weird that it was able to create the recordings in the directory and then not play them. But chown fixed it.