Custom collections

PBzeer

Perhaps this as been covered and I just haven't found it, in which case a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

What I'd like to do is create a new separate folder that groups movies by the star ... Eastwood, Willis, Statham, etc.. In other words, not all preformers, just the ones I want. For example:

/Collections

/Clint Eastwood

/movie titles

Two questions. Do I need the [boxset] after Eastwood (or is that handled by choosing the Collections folder type?)? And can I put some type of shortcut in the movie title folder to the movie in the main movie folder, rather than the movie files themselves? Like:  unforgiven.lnk (points to /Movies/Unforgiven folder) ? If that would work, what kind of file should it be?

Edited by PBzeer

Koleckai Silvestri

Collections is just a folder name. You will probably need the [boxset] tag on the folders. However I haven't tried it the other way. 

For links, you would use Windows Shortcuts pointing to the UNC path of the movie.

yardameus

I can't answer all your questions as to what the best way would be, but I'd assume just putting a shortcut to the movie would work.  You may actually be able to use the Auto Boxsets plugin and the metadata editor to do it all for you.  Might have to tweak it a bit. 

For links, you would use Windows Shortcuts pointing to the UNC path of the movie.

So, go to the file, right click/create short cut, then go to the new folder and right click/paste short cut?

Good day,

If it a custom collection, then the you can either add the tag [boxset] or simply edit that from the webclient for the mb3 server.

But really best not to do what you after, since at the webclient or any other client, you can simply search by actor, as example Clint Eastwood, and you his titles (within your collection will be display nicely).

So back to your Q., No need to add top folder as "Collections"

My best

As to whether I "need" it or not, here's what seems to work, for what I want.

/Collections

/Clint Easwood [boxset]

/Dirty Harry - Shortcut

This way I can mix actors and series in one folder.

No need for the top folder "Collections" but that up to you now.

Yes, the above the way you wanted is correct.

Again, you do not need the tag above with latest server build, you can edit the type of the collection from the weblient.

Again, either way will work.

trusselo

also simple way i use, with no [boxset]

/Standup

\Chris Rock

\Movie 1\movie1.avi

\Movie 2 - shortcut

\collection.xml  <--right click INSIDE folder> New... >text document > rename to 'collection.xml'

trusselo's way will work but it will throw invalid xml errors in your log.

Also, they don't have to be collections (box sets).  You can just have them as folders.

BUT - this looks like a maintenance nightmare.

Koleckai Silvestri

If there were a way to show "Favorite People" you could get the same effect. You can already mark people as favorites but they don't have a screen where they appear anywhere. Running a search on a person shows the projects they were involved with but running a search every time is impractical.

Hopefully when playlists are added, this kind of thing will be easier to setup and maintain.

trusselo

trusselo's way will work but it will throw invalid xml errors in your log.

Also, they don't have to be collections (box sets).  You can just have them as folders.

BUT - this looks like a maintenance nightmare.

im curious about these invalid xml errors....   would it still be happening if i fetch info on the boxset with MCM after creating?

So far, the way I set it up is working just fine. My main purpose was to simply custom configure the collections. Basically, what I've done is create playlists, some by actor, some by title (eg: Resident Evil). And since most of the stuff is in the middle of about 400 movies, I don't have to scroll through to reach them. (Say I want to watch a Resident Evil flick, but not sure which one, I just go to Collections, click on Resident Evil, and there they are, then I can just click on the one I want.) Plus, it gives me something to do while I'm re-ripping everything to MKV. And since there's nothing but shortcuts and some image files in the folder, there's not really anything to get messed up by metadata. (Which after going through and manually setting all my sort titles, as soon as I rip the movie, they get overwritten.)

im curious about these invalid xml errors....   would it still be happening if i fetch info on the boxset with MCM after creating?

Not if it creates valid xml.  MCM used to do the same thing you were and create an empty collection.xml file which caused these same errors.  They are basically benign but slow things down at least slightly.