Advice on sata expansion card

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

I am at a point where I need to expand my storage capacity (here I go again ).

My 2 servers have identical casings, and all 3.5' bays are full, each presently hold 6x 3.5" sata hdd.

Each have 3x 5.25" unused bay,  I already have tool-less 5.25 to 3.5" adapters

They also have 2x 2.5 ssd mounting area.

So I have 6 drives in each but I could squeeze-in up to 4 more. All 6 m/bd sata ports are presently used so I need to go for pci-ex sata expansion card (4 ports)

I bought some cheap 2 ports cards a while back, but they were wrong form factor (mounting bracket too small).

Can you suggest me a good make and model?

Found this Startech PEXSAT34RH

https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-Express-6Gbps-Controller-Adapter/dp/B00BUC3N74

Is it ok, or overkill, as I do not require RAID functionality, just extra sata ports

Thanks in advance

Edited by jlr19

mediacowboy

If all you need is sata expansion there is this.

IO Crest 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 Controller Card Marvell Non-Raid with Low Profile Bracket SI-PEX40064 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ICAkzbW5RWZSX

No only is is about half the price but I used two of them before I switched to the lsi-9211-8i flashed to IT mode.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Hi,

thank you, low profile is what I previously bought and the mounting bracket was too short (that's how I found out what low profile meant).

Do they make a standard profile model?

mediacowboy

They come with both standard and a low profile. Look at the 5rh picture.

Edited by mediacowboy

CharleyVarrick

Great! Thanks

:)

I just Doofus (ordered) a pair of those.

Thanks again

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1

pir8radio

Great! Thanks

:)

I just Doofus (ordered) a pair of those.

Thanks again

Poor @ , he keeps getting picked on just because he strives to build the perfect emby server.   :)

CharleyVarrick

IO Crest 4 Port SATA III PCI-e 2.0 x1 Controller Card Marvell Non-Raid with Low Profile Bracket SI-PEX40064 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ICAkzbW5RWZSX

No only is is about half the price but I used two of them before I switched to the lsi-9211-8i flashed to IT mode.

And they work flawlessly out of the box too.

Already installed in both my servers, a hard drive added to each, nothing exploded!

That was like 2 for 1, man! Thanks!!! :)

• Like 1

mediacowboy

And they work flawlessly out of the box too.

Already installed in both my servers, a hard drive added to each, nothing exploded!

That was like 2 for 1, man! Thanks!!! :)

Then my advice wasn't a total failure. HAHA

chef

I just bought this IO crest mentioned here. Works fine! Just make sure you have enough power from your supply to run the extra drives.

I also just puchased 5 ATX cases which I'm going to build 5 NAS computers out of.

Each one will house about 5 4 TB drives...

So, 20 X 5 = an extra 100 TB. Should be cool.

Edited by chef

mediacowboy

I just bought this IO crest mentioned here. Works fine! Just make sure you have enough power from your supply to run the extra drives.

I also just puchased 5 ATX cases which I'm going to build 5 NAS computers out of.

You going to do a build log on it?

Happy2Play

Any reason to build 5 instead or 1?

chef

Any reason to build 5 instead or 1?

The ATX cases where on sale for... Get this... $12.00. Not even kidding.

CharleyVarrick

@@chef

I thought you posted a link to them 12$ cases, but I realize its in your signature, in any case (no pun intended), that dropbox link is dead...

CharleyVarrick

Funny, yesterday I installed those expansion cards/added 1 drive each (for now) on my 2 servers, 

when I fired up the 2nd server, I immediately smelled something burning, turns out it was just a neighbour burning some kind of junk...

Should have seen my face for a moment, priceless! :o 

• Like 1

chef

Funny, yesterday I installed those expansion cards/added 1 drive each (for now) on my 2 servers,

when I fired up the 2nd server, I immediately smelled something burning, turns out it was just a neighbour burning some kind of junk...

Should have seen my face for a moment, priceless! :o

Lol! The cards are quite cheap so i can see how that would scare you for a moment.

I was going to buy quite a few more of them, since the NAS is headless, I was going to fill all the pcie slots with them, try to push for more 4 TB drives.

I wonder if pushing for 200 extra TB on top of my server is overkill. Lol

Edited by chef

chef

@@chef

I thought you posted a link to them 12$ cases, but I realize its in your signature, in any case (no pun intended), that dropbox link is dead...

I know I gotta fix that. The 12.00 cases went back up to 69.00 each a day later.

Problem is the cases are going to arrive in giant boxes and my wife is going to lose her mind when she sees them. I can't hide giant boxes at the door, like smaller purchases.

If no one hears from me for a while, I'll be in the dog house...

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

Problem is the cases are going to arrive in giant boxes and my wife is going to lose her mind when she sees them. I can't hide giant boxes at their door, like smaller purchases.

If no one hears from me for a while, I'll be in the dog house...

:D Funny and so true, wife are rarely worried with small packages, but always suspicious of larger ones. 

chef

They went back down to 29.00 bucks

4.2 out of 5 stars 55 Reviews

Rosewill Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case SRM-01

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00ZPWOA6I/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

On Amazon.

Ends up they are micro ATX, but still might be okay for NAS. Probably good I bought 5...

Edited by chef

mediacowboy

They went back down to 29.00 bucks

4.2 out of 5 stars 55 Reviews

Rosewill Micro ATX Mini Tower Computer Case SRM-01

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00ZPWOA6I/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

On Amazon.

Ends up they are micro ATX, but still might be okay for NAS. Probably good I bought 5...

How you going to get 5 drives in those bad boys? With only 1 - 5.25 and 2 - 3.5 drive bays.

chef

I was thinking about Gutting them with a dremmel and attaching drive bays.

Or drilling extra holes. But now my concern is air flow.

I think...

Edited by chef

CharleyVarrick

I was thinking about Gutting them with a dremmel and attaching drive bays.

Or drilling extra holes. But now my concern is air flow.

I think...

To me, air flow is the most important aspect in a case.

In the past, I've run into pretty horrible internal design. ThermalTake Bach HTPC was like a toaster oven inside, plus it made a racket. The exterior was gorgeous to look at though.

I'm writing this on a Dell XPS-8300, and its 2 hard drives temperatures are 41c & 37c respectively.

Meanwhile, my desktop server, inches away, reports temperatures of its 7 drives between 26c & 31c.

And it also has the quietest stock fans by a long shot.

A good case  is a sound investment to protect those precious hdd'$

• Like 1