Another permissions type question

jasonmcroy
Go to solution Solved by mastrmind11,

jasonmcroy

I am fairly new to the Linux system but I have figured out a lot of stuff on my own but one thing I can't quite get through.

I have spent the last few hours searching the internet and the forums for a potential answer to my question but no luck so far.

I have a hard drive on my system set up just for recording TV shows. It is on the same PC as the server (not on a NAS or external drive) I have a folder created called "Recordings". Emby is the user for this folder. Whenever a recording gets created it has the lock icon on it meaning the only user that has access to the files in this folder is the Emby user, since that is who created it.

I can easily run a recursive chmod on the folder to change the permissions but each time a new file is created it will create this permission situation. I don't want to have to run chmod each time after a recording happens.

So, my question is, is there some way to make it so that newly created recorded shows aren't locked to just Emby and are accessible to me as well?

I thought adding myself to the group Emby would solve it but that didn't work.

I am on Ubuntu 17.04.

Edit:

I should also add that I reformatted this drive for Linux since it was previously in a Windows 10 computer so it's now more easy to work with.

Edited by jasonmcroy

• Solution
mastrmind11

I am fairly new to the Linux system but I have figured out a lot of stuff on my own but one thing I can't quite get through.

I have spent the last few hours searching the internet and the forums for a potential answer to my question but no luck so far.

I have a hard drive on my system set up just for recording TV shows. It is on the same PC as the server (not on a NAS or external drive) I have a folder created called "Recordings". Emby is the user for this folder. Whenever a recording gets created it has the lock icon on it meaning the only user that has access to the files in this folder is the Emby user, since that is who created it.

I can easily run a recursive chmod on the folder to change the permissions but each time a new file is created it will create this permission situation. I don't want to have to run chmod each time after a recording happens.

So, my question is, is there some way to make it so that newly created recorded shows aren't locked to just Emby and are accessible to me as well?

I thought adding myself to the group Emby would solve it but that didn't work.

I am on Ubuntu 17.04.

Edit:

I should also add that I reformatted this drive for Linux since it was previously in a Windows 10 computer so it's now more easy to work with.

Odd that adding yourself to the group wouldn't solve your problem.  I'd look into why that's happening first.  However, here's how to do what you're asking:  http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/applying-default-permissions-for-newly-created-files-within-a-specific-folder-605129/

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

@@mastrmind11 - Thank you very much for your response! I appreciate it. I have checked that link out that you sent me to and that is helpful.

Regarding the issue of adding myself to the group it somehow resolved. I tried it two different ways in fact. I added myself to the group emby and also added emby as a user to the drive that the TV recording folder is in.

It still didn't seem to be working but I then restarted the PC and after that the lock icon disappeared. I then tried another recording and the lock icon isn't present on that folder. It seems like I was missing the step of restarting the PC which I know I've had to do to complete other actions on Linux as well.

-Jason