Live TV Interlaced

theniteow1

arrbee99

My attempt at making it easy to understand: Think about washing your clothes. You put dirty clothes (interlaced video) through the washing machine (transcoder), add detergent and fabric softener (ffmpeg flags) and at the end of the cycle you have clean clothes (progressive video). You can google interlaced video vs progressive to see the difference. Emby uses ffmpeg to transcode incompatible formats to formats that your client device (Roku, Amazon FireTv, etc) can play. In the case of interlaced video, Emby transcodes the video using ffmpeg with a flag that instructs ffmpeg how to process the video with the result being deinterlaced video. 

Thanks. You wouldn't happen to know what the flag looks like that is used to instruct ffmpeg to deinterlace.

I can tell the server to allow transcoding for Live TV for, say, ET and it transcodes and plays Live TV (and a ffmpeg-transcode log is generated). I can also tell it to not allow transcoding and ET still plays Live TV (and a ffmpg-directstream log is generated). Seeing as our TV is only SD its not that easy to tell if its deinterlacing from just looking at it so it would be nice to be able to look in a log to try to recognise this transcoding flag.

Thanks. You wouldn't happen to know what the flag looks like that is used to instruct ffmpeg to deinterlace.

I can tell the server to allow transcoding for Live TV for, say, ET and it transcodes and plays Live TV (and a ffmpeg-transcode log is generated). I can also tell it to not allow transcoding and ET still plays Live TV (and a ffmpg-directstream log is generated). Seeing as our TV is only SD its not that easy to tell if its deinterlacing from just looking at it so it would be nice to be able to look in a log to try to recognise this transcoding flag.

Some apps can do the de-interlacing at the app end.  I believe this is the case with ET.  With the Android TV app, we can de-interlace HD Mpeg2 at the app end but other content needs to be run through the server to do it.

mwongjay

Upload your transcode logs

mwongjay

Hope these'll help...transcode and direct stream of the same channel, both to ET, both playing fine

It appears that you allowing transcoding Emby is favoring the server to handle that process rather than ET. When you disable it, your stream is sent directly to ET for it to handle. I assume this is the case when both client and server are capable of transcoding it favors the server? One of the devs would have to confirm. Your live tv stream is reported as interlaced (I believe you asked earlier since you weren't sure). If you review your logs you can do a text search for IsInterlaced and check the value for the video media stream. That's the value returned from probing. The flag that is used by ffmpeg to deinterlace the video stream is "yadif"

arrbee99

Thanks for the info. interesting stuff. I guess transcoding on the server is preferred because its assumed to be a more powerful device than the destination. If would be nice if there was a way to maybe flag individual devices and/or apps as capable of deinterlacing, as at the moment, if I turn off 'allow video playback that allows transcoding' under Users it helps kill transcoding for ET (and I think Ember) but it also stops Live TV working on any of my browsers.

arrbee99

Some apps can do the de-interlacing at the app end.  I believe this is the case with ET.  With the Android TV app, we can de-interlace HD Mpeg2 at the app end but other content needs to be run through the server to do it.

Do you think it would be possible for the server to recognise ET can deinterlace and Direct Stream instead?

Edited by arrbee99

• 2 months later...
theniteow1

Just FYI, In the Fire TV/Android app, right now I am using Direct stream for Live TV, and if enable "Attempt to use VLC for Live TV" the interlacing goes away entirely, and it does not need to be transcoded on the server end.   

Just FYI, In the Fire TV/Android app, right now I am using Direct stream for Live TV, and if enable "Attempt to use VLC for Live TV" the interlacing goes away entirely, and it does not need to be transcoded on the server end.   

Yes, VLC can do the deinterlacing.  If you watch a lot of interlaced SD content then that option could be good for you.

theniteow1

Yes, VLC can do the deinterlacing.  If you watch a lot of interlaced SD content then that option could be good for you.

@@ebr Actually, the content is HD.  Some channels like Hallmark and I think CBS have interlaced HD content.  Also, I was curious why VLC isn't used exclusively anyway?  Is there some advantage to not using VLC?